The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Climax for sponge ball routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
Giday DJ

I have been practising my 4 ball routine (really seems like 3 balls to the spectator). I carried it around Indonesia for 3 weeks in July and performed to heaps of enthusiastic people who forced me to tidy it up in record time.

My routine is a mixtuire of the intro from the box (Magic by Gosh") and the extended routine from Wilson's Cyclopedia that finishes with a vanish. I have appreciated the discussion on the value of a vanish at the end and from my own experience I lean toward the positive impact of the vanish gauged by the response of my spectators.

Recently I have been introduced to some possibilities to vary the finish including a square sponge block that transforms into a dinosour. The concept of the growing ball in the cloth mentioned by PSC is something I will consider down the line.

Thankyou all for an interesting discourse.

Troppo Bob Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I use a basic squeeker after I am done (whether with the balls or the bunnies). It provides excellent humor and gets some great laughs.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-10-08 17:23, D J Hawkins wrote:
*A disappearance of all the balls seems to feature in many routines but appears magically weak to me (I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish).

**Conversely the appearance of lots and lots of balls is very surprising, but I'm getting fed up of the small balls going everywhere including the floor and under the tables and chairs.

***I need a magically strong, surprising climax that is easy to carry around, is controllable (i.e. dooesn't fall on the floor, in the food etc) and is instanly resettable ?

*To me it all depends on what I am doing. I see no problem why certain tricks should end with a vanish (a tank, sponges, radios, etc.). But I do see why others should never end up with a vanish (people, statues, animals, etc.). Dealing with sponges, it's on you. If you feel uncomfortable ending with a vanishing method, no problem.

**Try rabbits. They don't roll like the balls. They stay put.

***I transfer rabbits into words, ladybugs and other objects. Sometimes I end the rountine by having the transfered object vanish. For example: I place a rabbit in someone's hand asking is it gone yet? When they open their hand the rabbit turned into the word "Gone." I'm handing the word "Gone" to the spectator. The word vanished before it got to their hand. I say, "Oh, now it really is gone." try purchasing Patrick Paige's video with sponges or Scott Guinn's dvd with Peanut, Butter & Jelly. You will learn a lot more.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree that vanishing the balls at the end is very strong. I use that sometimes and other times produce a dozen small balls.
I also like using a squeeker with my routine.
Also I always produce my first ball from a purse frame.
It always gets a good reaction if you know the move to show it and your hands empty.
Daniel Faith
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
I've always had sponges in my collection of accessories but never made a performable routine. Where can some good routines be learnt?

I see Scott's (I'm assuming Guinn) is liked by many.

Damien.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I used to use Gosh's "purseframe" routine until I actually sat down and studied Wilson's "Cyclopedia" routine and discovered I liked it better. (Beats carrying around the purseframe.)

I discovered if I reversed one of the three "two in one hand, one in the pocket" sequences, I end up with three balls in the right pocket and one in the left instead of all four in the right pocket. This gives me a perfect re-set!

I thought the buildup of finding three in your hands twice and then finding [none] in your hands the last time was a perfect climax. To me is also signals the end of the routine; "Props gone! Routine over!"

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia routine is the best, IMO Smile

Dan Watkins on http://www.coinvanish.com has a routine called STICKY COINS in his videos section based on the same concept and pretty much uses the same principles Smile

remember what you want audiences to think your climax to be but NOT what it actually will be. think: david Copperfield's LOTTO PREDICTION ILLUSION Smile Smile

don't forget the element of surprise, gentlemen! Smile
flea
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of flea
Quote:
. A disappearance of all the balls seems to feature in many routines but appears magically weak to me (I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish).

In general I've always thought that almost any effect that ends on a vanish can be a good thing, for a couple of reasons.

1) It's visually stunning. Especially if the audience doesn't suspect it's coming.

2) It's a perfect applause cue. The spectators know the effect is over, and can react accordingly.

I would be interested,however, in knowing the reasons you've heard for not ending a routine on a vanish.

Thanks,

Curtis
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
How about spongeball ends up on your nose.
I did this impromptu this past weekend just for fun and it got a lot of laughs.

Not good for every situation but it can work.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Quote:
I have been caught just once but the person #1 did not say anything except to me privately afterwards.. "I saw 3 balls". I think that #1 was so excited about what #2 was going to find out that they were happy just to be in on it.

Well, I have been caught loading 2 balls in a specs hand. A good idea is to "practice" with them first. let them squeeze ONE ball real tight in their hands as you put it in, because you will make it disappear from their hands. Tell them not to leave a single gap from their hands.

You have 2 balls on the table.

Let them "squeeze" each and ask them which one do they like? whatever they say, you execute the FINGERPALM VANISH MOVE for the one ball, execute the TWO-BALL PINCH and load the two and tell them NOT to leave the slightest gap or opening as you will attempt to make the ball in her hand disapear.

Next, you gracefully open your left hand or both hands for that matter to show that your ball has vanished. Ask your spec if her sponge ball is starting to "dissolve" naturally she will say no, tell her to squeeze HARDER, (if you like to prolong the effect) then later on tell her to open both hands. the ball didn't disappear, but the ball in your hand has magically transposed to hers! Smile

And that's the element of surprise, gentlemen. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was doing a routine once in a semi-dark theatre. (It wasn't professional; my wife was performing in a show and I was showing off after the actual play.) I did the routine up to the point where you cover each ball with a hand and they end up both in the right hand. Everything was going fine until I opened my hand to show the balls which promptly shot out of my hand and under the bleacher-like seats! Never saw them again and had to order a new set! Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I used to end with a regular size sponge ball that visibly expanded into a large sponge ball. The audience thought the effect was over, but I then switched the large sponge ball for a "shot put" that was the same size but covered in a red substance to make it look the same as the large sponge ball. Let the shot put drop on the table and you have quite a surprise.

Larry D.
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Anyone know if Martin's "Clones," are still available? If so, where? I used to love working with them.
Richard
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
Let the spongeball transform into a big cube or something really big in their hands!
I think this would hit me very strong if I were a layman Smile
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I've often used the multiple ball ending, but recently I've been playing with a giant sponge red hand (You can fill in the jokes this can end with). I love those little worlds of mine.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Haven't touched sponge balls in long while, but have an idea for a closer.

Have the sponge balls turn into billiard balls at the end...if you got really creative you could probably paint them up to look like sponge balls. Thus, when you drop them on the table and get a "thud" the spec is Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I wrote earlier about a ball ending on my nose. This worked but I'm looking for a good misdirection idea for this. Any ideas?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
I also read somewhere that small children find it disturbing when things disappear and don't return.
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Re: unusual sponge stuff. I made up some sponge 'stones' the other day and was going to pull one out of my shoe as I believe Looy Simonoff does, but instead I pulled a 'stone' from a child's ear (oldest trick in the book just about) and started producing them from other places and did my sponge routine with 'sponge' rocks. It went down a hoot with the children I was performing it for. It's easy to make the props,a bit offbeat and for some reason people assume that sponge stones don't compress even though the material they're made of is pretty obvious. Also you can pull a rock the size of your fist out of a child's ear if you compress it well (er, the rock that is).
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-12-08 16:26, Frank Starsini wrote:
I wrote earlier about a ball ending on my nose. This worked but I'm looking for a good misdirection idea for this. Any ideas?

Close's Clones
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Climax for sponge ball routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL