The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Provebs you hate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Don't you hate it sometimes when you are talking with someone and they respond to you with an old proverb? Sometimes I feel very cheap that rather than addressing my point or my issue that someone would lower themselves to a silly old saying that has little bearing on the real topic.

Example: "My boss told me I am a worthlss idiot that he wants to fire"
Proverb response: "sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never harm me!"

Here, one man is worried about his job, while the other completely ignores both the pain of a person of authority insulting him, and the financial concern about being fired. A response like "Hey man that sucks" doesn't help much, but it does show some empathy.

What are some other proverbs that really ought to be outlawed?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
So, you don't like the end result of a good proverb? Sour grapes??

;)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it." One of the all-time dumb sayings. Not to mention exceptionally condescending to a prospective buyer.

I had some numbskull tell me that when I inquired about the price of an antique swiss army-style knife. Looked him right in the eye and told him a) I'm sure I could pay for it right now should I desire to, and b) the price may be set higher than the item's actual value to me...and one doesn't know that until one ASKS!

Then he told me he couldn't tell me because it was only for disply, and he wasn't the owner/manager of the store, so he didn't even know what it was worth!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not exactly a proverb but the overdone cliche, "It is what it is," has to be one of the most annoying and lazy substitutes for a meaningful thoughtful answer that I've heard recently.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I dislike the expression 'when one door closes another opens'. I was told that when my old company shut down, I replied 'sometimes when a door closes you are screwed'. Seems I was.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
The nice thing about proverbs is that there's one to fit essentially every situation, irrespective of the conclusion.

For every "Don't judge a book by its cover" there's a "The clothes make the man".

For every "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" there's an "Out of sight, out of mind".

For every "Opposites attract" there's a "Birds of a feather flock together".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"The customer is always right."

"There is no such thing as a stupid question."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 21:14, balducci wrote:

How come?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 18:14, mastermindreader wrote:
Not exactly a proverb but the overdone cliche, "It is what it is," has to be one of the most annoying and lazy substitutes for a meaningful thoughtful answer that I've heard recently.

I consider it the American equivalent of c'est la vie. I also use it to avoid conversations about my personal life that I'm not ready for yet.
Ex.
-"Bro, I heard your girlfriend shot you in the knee. Sorry to hear that."
-"Thanks, man."
-"That must have really hurt your feelings."
-"Yeah, well, it is what it is."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 21:05, S2000magician wrote:
The nice thing about proverbs is that there's one to fit essentially every situation, irrespective of the conclusion.

For every "Don't judge a book by its cover" there's a "The clothes make the man".

For every "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" there's an "Out of sight, out of mind".

Great observation, and quite true. The sour grapes reference I made opposes the sweet lemon stance.

Too many cooks spoil the broth, opposes, two heads are better than one, or many hands make light work.

I like it when familiar proverbs are warped.

If at first you don't succeed, give up... no sense making a fool out of yourself.

Don't count your chickens with a hatchet.

Don't judge a cook by his brother.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch.

My favorite is when Dorothy Parker was asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence... "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

Brilliant!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 21:42, landmark wrote:
Quote:

How come?

Because there are stupid questions.

It may be good advice to be polite and act as though every question is a good or sensible one, but it is just politeness.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Lots of teachers say that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

They're . . . um . . . wrong.

When I teach I tell my students that there are, in fact, stupid questions (e.g., if I just told them that the definition of a limit will be in the next exam, and then someone who wasn't listening asks if the definition of a limit will be on the next exam, that's a stupid question), but they're rarer than they might think.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There may not be any stupid question, but there seem to be a lot of inquisitive idiots.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My dads only advice to me was:

If you are not in bed by nine o'clock you might as well go home.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-04 01:12, MagicSanta wrote:
My dads only advice to me was:

If you are not in bed by nine o'clock you might as well go home.

Nice.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 23:00, S2000magician wrote:
Lots of teachers say that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

They're . . . um . . . wrong.

When I teach I tell my students that there are, in fact, stupid questions (e.g., if I just told them that the definition of a limit will be in the next exam, and then someone who wasn't listening asks if the definition of a limit will be on the next exam, that's a stupid question), but they're rarer than they might think.

I graduated college, but I argued with my teachers a lot and hated school. Flunked a few classes because the professors were idiots. Still kept arguing with them even after they flunked me. Too much BS to put up with from the professors and everybody else in school. If a professor doesn't like you, he is more than likely to just give you a bad grade rather than give you a fair shake. And the thing is, I mean, in this day and age, going to school is more like a sham. You graduate with thousands of dollars in debt that you will spend the rest of your life paying off and you can't declare bankruptcy on and the guys who are making all the money are the guys who dropped out of school, started their own companies, didn't even graduate school and are now running the country. The joke was on us who went to school. Sometimes, I think education is nothing more than a system of imposed ignorance.

Fortunately, some of us who are veterans had Uncle Sam to help us pay for college, but nobody should be required to serve in the military or have a 4.0 GPA with a 1600 SAT score just to go to school and graduate debt free. And when you work while in college (especially if you are studying a tough degree like engineering or computer science) your grades will suffer and you still will graduate with a lot of debt that you will be paying off for the rest of your life. Gee, sometimes I wonder if it's just better not bothering to go to school and just start your company rather than work for "the man" who treats you like some kind of expendable number anyways. You'll save yourself the headache from putting up with BS from the professors and you won't have to answer to "the man" who treats you like an expendable number and you can work for yourself and be your own man and your creativity and motivation won't be stifled by the boot of "the man" and the BS office politics that comes with working for "the man."
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 18:14, mastermindreader wrote:

THANK YOU!!!
Would someone tell me what the F*** that even means!?
"It is what it is." Well, umm 'no **** Sherlock,' what the hell else would it be!?
I heard an interview with Dan White recently and he must have used that phrase a dozen times in 5 minutes. What I got from it was that he was basically saying "I don't know" or "we'll have to wait and see" or "I don't have an opinion either way."

AAHHH!!!
Will this feeling increase the older I get and the more new slang I here?
Will I just be walking around in my mandals, drinking punkershnapps and scratching my gear?

As for the original remark, I couldn't agree more. So often we don't need advice (which proverbs pretend to be) we need someone to hear us. More often than not we already, on some level at least, what we need to do and so often a quick piece of advice or glib saying is really just saying "I have no interest whatsoever in actually talking and connecting to you on any meaningful level, here's some advice now shut up and deal with it."

*** proverbs.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 21:05, S2000magician wrote:

I remember discussing this in social psychology.
So often social psychology is put down because the results seem so intuitive. There is a convenient cliche to express most of the findings, ...BUT people forget that there is a convenient cliche for the opposite as well.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 22:28, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

How come?

It may be good advice to be polite and act as though every question is a good or sensible one, but it is just politeness.

Another failed would-be landmark joke. Smile
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1892 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 22:28, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

How come?

I hear them at every magic lecture.

"Can you do it with a red deck?"

"Can you use a 5 dollar bill instead?"

"What if their name is George?"

Drives me nuts. (that's what the pirate said)
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Provebs you hate (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL