The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Best Place To Get Crisp New Bills? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Same here.. I have never had any trouble getting new bills from a bank. Even our local ATM's spit out pretty good bills.
Unless the bank tler is rely lazy and doesn't want to break a new band of bills to count at end of day.. Banks should have them or able to get them easily
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
bostonzero
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, Ma
101 Posts

Profile of bostonzero
If you need 20's the ATM almost always gives out nice, crisp 20 dollar bills (some do 10 dollar bills also)! Unfortunately ATMs won't have ones or fives though.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The easiest three listed above are bank, credit union and ATM.
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
This is slightly a side issue, but I'd thought it's worth mentioning here:

I picked up decently-crisp $2 bills from my local bank (the one that said they only get new bills in around Christmas, post #3 above) and constructed a Hundy 500 gimmick using $1s and $2s (I don't want to carry $100s around!).

Curiously, these nice, almost new $2 bills adhere to each other almost as though they've be 'roughed' - my (dry) hands can't slide them apart to display them after the 'transformation', I have to pick them apart at the edges. I didn't expect this!

Maybe a little wear and uneven-ness would be a good thing in this case. -) I'll work them around a bit, and see if that helps.

Larry S.

FYI, I noticed sellers on "the big auction site" selling crisp new bills in packets ($1s and $2s), but they seem to ask a high premium for them (above the face value plus shipping). Interesting, but maybe not the best deal.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
As others have mentioned above, just use an iron to crisp them up.

Remember, bills (US Currency) are made of a cotton/rag mixture, so they're actually more cloth than paper. Set your iron for cotton and just iron the bills directly. Starch can be used, but make certain the bottom of your iron is clean, or you will get black marks.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Last week I went to my bank to order some new bills for Extreme Burn. The bank manager told me that new bills were only available during the month of December, but she would try to pull some strings and get some for me. She called me up this morning and told me that she was able to order some for me. I paused and asked her "isn't the federal reserve bank open 12 months a year"? She said yes, and I said "so what's the problem"? There was silence on the other end of the phone. Lazy bankers are the only obstacles there are to getting new bills from your bank.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Soak the bills in water for a few seconds then iron them on cotton setting. They get real crispy that way.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have mentioned this before, but you can get new bills 12 months a year. National Banks have to provide the services of the Federal Reserve Bank. So the 1st question you ask if they are a "National Bank", it use to be that was easy, as most National Banks had that in their name. Today, they this is not true, So ask.

Then ask if you can get New Bills. The clerk will sometimes say she has to buy them from the vault. What she is saying, you request will make me carry this stack of bills in my balance every night to close my drawer. In other words, you are making her work more.

So just as for the manager, and he/she will get you the new bills. Believe it or not, I got new $1, $2, $5, and $10 at my local bank. Yes, they still have crisp new $2 bills available. I was surprised myself.
highcard
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of highcard
I'm really surprised that your banks don't have them. Mine all do, but you do have to ask most of the time. They're also great here if I need a particularly new looking coin and will even try to give me the year I want. If you have to, you can iron a bill, just do it with a thin towel over it. That won't crisp it up any, but it can smooth out a newer bill that has been folded.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-07-03 13:16, ljsviol wrote:
This is slightly a side issue, but I'd thought it's worth mentioning here:

I picked up decently-crisp $2 bills from my local bank (the one that said they only get new bills in around Christmas, post #3 above) and constructed a Hundy 500 gimmick using $1s and $2s (I don't want to carry $100s around!).

Curiously, these nice, almost new $2 bills adhere to each other almost as though they've be 'roughed' - my (dry) hands can't slide them apart to display them after the 'transformation', I have to pick them apart at the edges. I didn't expect this!

Maybe a little wear and uneven-ness would be a good thing in this case. -) I'll work them around a bit, and see if that helps.

Larry S.

FYI, I noticed sellers on "the big auction site" selling crisp new bills in packets ($1s and $2s), but they seem to ask a high premium for them (above the face value plus shipping). Interesting, but maybe not the best deal.

Here is how you make the bills slide easily. Go to the store and then look for the Shoe Polish display. There is a product called "Instant Shine" or other names similar to that. It is a sponge applicator impregnated with a substance that is similar to silicone or was. After you prepare your bills, just run the sponge over the bills. Not they will glide smoothly over one another and not stick together. It does not shine the money, and does not discolor the money. It is totally invisible. Do both sides of your bills, and you are all set.

I have this product in a round screw together caps and one in a sponge like a show buffer block of sponge.

Trust me it works, GREAT!!
crummens
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of crummens
I too have gotten new bills,which are also in sequential order which makes for some nice effects.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I don't have any problems getting new crisp bills.
However, I can't seem to get sequential serial numbered bills.
I've been to a number of banks including my bank.
They take my phone number and say they will call.
Most of the time, I am told they get the sequential bills before Christmas time.
I'll try again in a month.
Ihor
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
If, like myself, you had trouble getting your bank to provide new bills, this (December) might be the time to ask. My bank had asked me to try to get them at holiday time, so I went in today (Dec. 3) to request a 'strap' of new bills. I was able to get quite a lot of new bills, many in sequential serial number order (not that I use that, but it's a nice feature for those that need it).

So if you had trouble before, you might have more success now that December has rolled around. Judging by the thread comments above, some folks have no trouble at any time; others do. -)

Larry S.
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
This stunt chicken telekinetically typed
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
In some areas, going in January before Chinese New Year is the time to go (before Feb 10th in 2013). I learned the hard way to ask for them to hand count the bills, not to use a machine. I asked for 100 new $1 bills a few years ago and the counting machine put random grease lines across half of them. Last year I asked for hand counting (explaining about the grease lines) and it worked much better. Only some banks carry new bills where I live (not mine). Bring cash if you do not have an account at that bank. Usually showing them a trick with money makes them very willing for them to help you out without an account if you provide cash payment.
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
A local branch of "U.S. Bank" was very friendly and sold me $100 of new sequential ones for cash today despite me not having an account. I told them I was a magician and showed them a trick and they called everyone over and had me do more money tricks. They also asked if they could hire me for a show, so perhaps this is a business opportunity. Smile They told me they had tons of new ones for Chinese new year and I could buy as many as I want. That said, I went to Wells Fargo first (next door) and although they had new ones, they "don't sell them for cash" and they required that I have an account there. So perhaps you need a friendly bank with new ones.
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
I forgot to ask them to hand count the bills today (until it was in the counting machine) and they came out fine without marks. The Teller said that all bills are machine counted at least once in their bank. Perhaps it matters how recently they oiled the machine.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I know I posted this a long time ago...But lately for me, the local ATMs at our "WaWa" food stores (Convenient Store) in NJ/PA always have brand new 20's and 10's...So that's an update to this....
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Saw on the news this week that ATM's will start dispensing 1's and 5's sometime this year.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
TomBollandLTD
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TomBollandLTD
Luckily for me, here in the UK most notes that come from the bank/a banks atm are brand new. A lot of high street and supermarket atms are usually new as well.

Guess we have it lucky!
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
EBay sellers offer brand new in any denomination, bill type, and quantity. Prepare to pay an upchaege of about 8%. Skip the fake million $ bills out their IMO, because the paper isn't strong like currency & the folds will wear and cause handling issues. Anyway this was my expierence, just use real bills and you will be much happier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Best Place To Get Crisp New Bills? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL