The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How soon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I have a dove sitting on a egg that is ready to hatch any day now and I do know that you do not want to disturb them till they feed on their own.
But how soon can I start to train a newborn dove?
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jeff, some start handling the baby immediately but from my own experience, I think it is better to wait until the parents are no longer taking care of it. Usually it takes about 6 weeks or so. Initially I wouldn't try to start a training regiment. Just hold the baby in you hand or on your finger and gently stroke it from the back of the head to the tail. You're gaining confidence from the baby. Gradually work in a little training (moving from hand to hand)
Where the magic begins
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Thank you Dave! That's what I needed to know. I've had babies before but I sold them to other magicians, but I now need to keep this one so I can add him or her to my act. I do find one thing strange with this one though...there is usually 2 eggs but right now there's only 1 and it's been almost 3 weeks.
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It's possible there was only 1 egg even though they almost always lay 2. The other option may be that they did lay 2 and one was destroyed before you saw it. If the egg was broken, the adult will eat the shell. Egg shells regardless of where they come from are good for doves.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Hey Jeff, if after 3 weeks, sounds like egg is not fertile, or may have been damaged, hold up to light and see if it is just liquid or a solid mass? Dave is always top notch when it comes to doves!. I had 4 eggs in a nest, 2 just dissapeared, but it was after 2 weeks, more than likely they got damaged from 3 or 4 doves trying to share nest, so as Dave said, They have totally eaten the shell once damaged. I still had 2 eggs in the nest that should have hatched after 15 or so days, held up to sunlight and they were still a liquid form. shows thet are not fertile.

A;sp sometimes the damaged egg will stick to the bottom of the dove if it is cracked and leaking. Raisng doves is a hoot!. I am still trying to up my quota for silkies this year. Good luck with the eggs, and a big hello to you Dave.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey Chris, thanks for compliments as usual. You're right about the broken eggs sticking to the belly of the parent. I've had that happen several times.
Where the magic begins
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I looked at the egg lastnight and there is a solid mass and veins tuning throughout the egg. I just looked at it about 10 minutes ago and there is now a small pinhole pushing from the inside out. It's been about 7 years since I let my doves keep there eggs and it's exciting!
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Sounds like all is in order as long as the egg hasnt briken during the process, then you will have a mass of stinky stuf in the end, but sounds like the little guy may be making his way out, I wish you the best with this.
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Just hatch!!! It's been 7 long years since the last one and it feels like the first one again! Lol
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Congratulaions dad. Now the fun begins
Where the magic begins
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Thanks Dave.
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Awesome deal!.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Congratulations Jeff! I would not disturb the baby dove for at least a week or more, until the baby fills up the nest and is somewhat feathered. Baby doves grow really FAST! Do realize that the baby will likely 'snap' her beak at you. This is a passing phase.

Please don't start training too early, as this might put too much stress on baby's wings and bones, especially if your dove takes a tumble. Doves are so easy to train anyway, so you really have no worries! You just want baby to feel good with you and not fear you.

Are you a member of MHMS in Denver? I am up in Erie and will be at the next meeting. Please feel free to ask me questions, as I have doves and can help.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » How soon? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL