We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Eric Diddlemen (sp) Wows them on AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Billy,

Fair enough, sorry for being offensive. Yes I do remember Jason. Very impressive. The difference is age though. Eric is just 26 yrs old. I see your point Billy, honestly.

Look at BGT for instance. How many mentalists made it far on that show? Im not saying anything about talent mind you, just how far did any of them make it? This is a first and we all need to promote it to the fullest. Heck, laymen are very impressed! Hey did you see that mindreader on AGT? You bet I did, isn't he great?! ANd young also! that's all I am saying.

Heck we all have our faults and can improve. To tell you the truth Dittleman shocked me. When I first saw him, I really did not think he had it in him. But he hits the stage and its like he transforms. I wish I could say more but I cannot. Lets just say he really surprised me and year after year I watch or at least check out AGT and see no mindreaders. Hopefully he will stay humble through all this and keep learning. Already being full time on the college market before AGT is another milestone for him.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17681 Posts

Profile of Slim King
BTW ...THE BEAN is 17 and I think I can talk her into performing next year ...LOL!!!
Been doing a mean "Magicians Choice' since she was 6 ... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-07-27 00:20, Slim King wrote:
The Amazing Kreskin is helping the homeless ...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/communi....../kreskin

Never seen any of the pseudo-skeptics help in this way!!!! Just sayin' ...

That is awesome! What a guy. Hey, remember the movie "The Amazing Buck Howard?" If someone had not told me about it, I would have never seen it. Tom Hanks playing a small part in that one. I still have the DVD, great sleeper.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-07-27 00:23, Slim King wrote:
BTW ...THE BEAN is 17 and I think I can talk her into performing next year ...LOL!!!
Been doing a mean "Magicians Choice' since she was 6 ... Smile

I tell you bro, my experience on the show is something I will never forget. It is risky though, no matter how good or how much talent you have. I got treated okay but some really get upset at the results or not moving on etc. It taught me a lot and at least I can help the young ones here where I live who may decide to take a turn at it. Vegas was called boot camp and I found out real quick! Total of 75,000 auditioned and no guarantees. The odds are really against mentalism as said so many times. But if you can pull something off and get through, it really makes you feel you can do anything. It is an unforgetable experience to say the least.

I think the most important thing about the show is being unique in whatever you do. Being interesting without performing or like Billy said, crazy enough. Smile Just kidding.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Decomposed,

I don't think you need to apologize to me, I was the one being a bit of an ***....but I really feel like a jerk, becuse I don't see what everyone else seems to see in him (excluding his last performance). I know it sounds like sour grapes, but it just seems like a right place -right time thing for him. Of coarse, that's life....preperation and oppurtunity, ya know. Like I said, hes taking the tiger by the tail and I think that is an amazing thing! Some more cliches, ect ect.

Billy

p.s. I will be bombing a show in BFE on Saturday, so perhaps I shouldnt be critiquing, but that's just how I feel.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Billy,

I think being in the right place and the right time is a HUGE part of it so we can agree!!! Smile It was perfect timing for him. You make a great point. You got me thinking now, for real.

You will not be bombing a show Saturday bro. Don't think like that. NLP training here sir. Smile

G
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Billy,
I know Eric personally, we have shared the stage a number of times, and he is my friend, so that is the context in which I write this.

Was Eric 'lucky' - in the right place at the right time. Absolutely. How he got lucky is interesting. Since I have known Eric I have seen him Gig anywhere over New England so that he can get stage time, go to conventions to try and get performance slots, and if he did not get bookings, just go to the next convention with the same can-do attitude he took to the last one. Along with a few other friends we set up a bi-weekly magic show for adults in Worcester MA. He was there faithfully either performing or supporting performers. He has Compered at Comedy clubs, to get stage time. Bouncing off to placed like DC for workshops held by people like Bob Cassidy, so that he can improve and be taught by the best, hanging out after lectures with Alain Nu for example, again just to learn and improve.

I remember sitting round a kitchen table until the wee hours, talking through effects, as we critiqued each others ideas making them strong, Eric always being thoughtful and generous, and very insightful. Sitting in friends houses as we go through his performance videos from his stage show, as he asks for input, on blocking, timing, lines etc.

Having the guts to take all of that down to wherever it was that he auditioned. That first audition piece he did, I have seem more times than I care to mentioned. When I first saw on a trailer that he was doing that my heart sank, I though 'Eric you fool! that piece is to long and draw out for TV'. Boy was I wrong, he had pruned it, sharpened it, and knew what he wanted out of it. I was simply blown away by his ability to self-criticize to be better, and his showmanship for that piece I found very enjoyable to watch.

We are looking at someone who got lucky by paying his dues, working hard, networking, building his act, working for stage time until he could work for the money he so richly deserves, who gives back to his community, and loves his craft and respects those in whose footsteps he follows.

Zig-Ziglar calls LUCK - Living Under Correct Knowledge, in that sense Eric is 'lucky' ; he may not be as good as some of the people on this thread but what separates him from all of the rest of us, is the courage to put himself out there( which you generously gave him credit for) , and in the tenacity, and showmanship, to stay in the race.

Seriously, if you met him, you'd like him. I too am not ga-ga over him (This is my first post on this, because I wanted people to know a tiny bit more about who Eric is). However I am so proud of him, and pleased that I have the honour to call him my friend).

Yours,

Tony
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17681 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That was very nice Tony. People make their own luck ... and sometimes others don't like that.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Tony,

I FULLY agree with what you are saying! This goes back to a conversation that I had with my ex-wife, regarding potential verusus tenacity, where she said anyone can be charming, talented, ect....but who cares! If that talented, charming, funny person does not grind...he or she will not ammount to a hill of beans! Again, I belive that determination will outweight "ability" 100 out of a 100 times.

Now, add ability mixed to determination (a catagory that I would put Mr. Dittleman in) and that is the proper combination for great success. I respect that and more importantly I understand that, however...my issues was not with the performer in question, but the praise he was getting (wow, that really sounds like jealousy).

Billy
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17681 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So you don't like the praise he is getting then ... OK.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
No, Slim king....just some of the more outrageous claims.

Billy
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
@Billy, I get where you coming from, the phrasing may not have been perfect but I knew what you meant.

Tony
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I still gotta pull all the way for him. Its TV and what it looks like on TV with camera angles etc, may not be what it looks like to the audience. He is coming off much bigger then life on the big screen.

Lucky? Yuppers. 75K auditioned for this show. Right place at the right time, no doubt.

It sounds like he certainly has paid his dues, I sensed he was very successful on the college market, making his living off of it. Guess he really wont have to go back to that with all the great exposure now. He has a permament smile, I mean it never comes off. That is a big plus in this business, some have to force smiles. I think it something that is overlooked.

I too would never have thought the blindfold act would not work on this show, I also was wrong. It appeared longer then the 90 seconds but the clock starts when the actual performance begins, something I never thought about. The prep is not included.

I just hope he will stay humble through all this.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
The best thing to come from Diddlemen is when there are around 50 wannabes next year trying to do it again. sorry you are a day late and a buck short just stay home so we don't have to watch the sad 2 min clip set of all of you failing.
granterg
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of granterg
I think part of the reason Dittleman is so great is that American audiences don't get to see mind reading that often on talent shows, and on national television.

In America, people are used to dancing and singing acts.

And so, for a lot of people, mind reading is new and exciting!

granterg
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 23:07, Decomposed wrote:
Using a random audience member is not allowed due to legalities involved.

"You're a mind-reader? Great. You have 90 seconds to perform...oh, and you're not allowed to read an audience member's mind."

With these restrictions, it's hard not to admire Mr. Dittelman's courage in going on this show!

The prohibition on using an audience member puzzles me. Is there a lawyer in the house? What legal reason would they have to forbid this?
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I was thinking what I would do next if I was him, I would do a headline prediction with Howard holding the lock box of the USA medal count of the Olympics
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5856 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Huh, y'all are silent now? The break may have killed his momentum in our unimportant little world here.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Tom

I only saw the Youtube back in June and thought he was fantastic. (Comcast has a technical issue and I have not had access to network TV in 2 years.) I did vote for him this week, a telephone number for that was posted on Facebook by a mutual friend.

Did he make it as a finalist?
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1425 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
He performed last night. The results show to see if he moves ahead to the finals is tonight.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Eric Diddlemen (sp) Wows them on AGT (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL