The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 1930's photos show glaciers retreating faster then today. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
<<Recently unearthed photographs taken by Danish explorers in the 1930s show glaciers in Greenland retreating faster than they are today, according to researchers.>>

I think I'm melting...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/02/......retreat/
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Well then, we have to revise our thesis: economic turmoil causes global warming.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
99% of climate scientists believe that it is obvious those Danish explorers photoshopped those pictures.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The summary at The Register is poor and rather inaccurate in places, which should not really be a surprise.

From the actual Nature Geoscience article:

"Our analysis of historical aerial imagery from the past 80 years shows that the glaciers of southeast Greenland have responded vigorously on a decadal scale to both warming and cooling. Major retreat has occurred not only during the recent warming, but also during and after the ECW, when air and SSTs were similar to the present or slightly lower. However, the recent retreat rate is higher for marine-terminating glaciers whereas it was higher for land-terminating glaciers in the early twentieth century. The asymmetric response between glacier types suggests that although the retreat ceased and shifted to advance in response to the mid-twentieth century cooling, the lower retreat rate of land terminating glaciers in the recent warming period may be due to their smaller overall extent and elevated terminus altitude. These findings are an important contribution to the sparse knowledge of local glaciers and ice caps in Greenland, as only a few studies so far have carried out investigations on a regional scale43,44 and none on the southeast coast of Greenland. Although research shows a less pronounced retreat north of the study area, the recent record-setting high temperatures have resulted in an unprecedented extent of glacial retreat in southeast Greenland, which should continue with a persevering temperature increase."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Don't confuse the deniers with the facts, balducci. Smile (They think that science is some kind of a liberal plot.)
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Bob.

For some of that real science, you can't do better than the work of Richard Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan Professor Meteorology at MIT.

He has a presentation that is well worth perusing here:

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.c......en-3.ppt
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, we can do a lot better than that. And have. Lindzen, of course, is with the Heartland Institute, the same Koch funded "scientists" who argued a few years back that tobacco did not cause lung cancer.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2009/03......-denier/

Quote:
As an alum, I was happily surprised when a few weeks ago a senior M.I.T. professor directed me to major study by a dozen leading experts associated with their Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Climate Change that made clear M.I.T. had joined the climate realists.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has just doubled its previous (2003) projection of global warming by 2100 to 5.1°C. Their median projection for the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide in 2095 is a jaw-dropping 866 ppm. Human civilization as we know it could not survive such warming, such concentrations (see likely impacts here).

But there is one MIT professor who has remained blind to the remarkable strengthening of our understanding of climate science in the past 2 years — Richard Lindzen. A general debunking of Lindzen’s popular disinformation tracts can be found on RealClimate here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 1930's photos show glaciers retreating faster then today. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL