The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Teen convicted of vehicular homicide for texting whilst driving (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
http://gma.yahoo.com/massachusetts-teen-......ies.html

I confess that I'm ambivalent about this. On the one hand, I feel sorry for the kid as his life's quite possibly ruined by this one stupid decision. On the other hand, this sets a precident that is overdue, and, with luck, will encourage all states to make use of cell phones (talking or texting) illegal whilst driving, and further encourage them to enforce such laws vigorously.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Sentenced to four years so he'll be out in what, 2 or 3?

They should tack on the maximum for perjury (i.e., as what he said in court contradicts what the cell phone records show).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I still disagree with the law regarding talking on cell phone while driving. I know what I think about a given law is meaningless, I'm just expressing my opinion. I also see just about every other driver defiantly holding a cell phone right up to their head as they converse while driving. Texting is different and it obviously can take your eyes off the road for too long of a time. That is just too dangerous and should not be allowed, I agree with that one. I disagree even more strongly regarding the whole "distracted driver" campaign and the "two hands on the wheel" crap. What proves distracting for one person may not be a distraction at all for someone else. Also, I am quite confident that you can be driving and have nothing at all in your hands and still be VERY distracted. It can be a state of mind or mental distraction. How is an officer going to detect or cite you for that??? I guess I am just tired of everybody being punished with new laws after new laws because of the few that bring about bad outcomes.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 22:06, GlenD wrote:
I still disagree with the law regarding talking on cell phone while driving.

I've spent ¾ of the last year in North Carolina, where driving whilst (holding and) talking on a cell phone is legal. I've been appalled at the number of times that people have run stop signs, run red lights, nearly changed lanes into me, and so on, all whilst chatting on their cell phones. (To be fair, however, I've been appalled by the number of people who do the same without benefit of cell phones. Nevertheless, I'm convinced by my admittedly small and likely biased sample that it should be illegal.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's been demonstrated that using a cell phone while driving creates a level of impairment equivalent to that obtained after having enough drinks to reach the legal limit.

I am often a pedestrian and I can't tell you the number of times that I've nearly been run over by idiots on cell phones who don't notice Walk/Don't Walk signs at crosswalks.

I fully support laws prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving. You're supposed to be paying attention to the road.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 22:54, mastermindreader wrote:
It's been demonstrated that using a cell phone while driving creates a level of impairment equivalent to that obtained after having enough drinks to reach the legal limit.

I am often a pedestrian and I can't tell you the number of times that I've nearly been run over by idiots on cell phones who don't notice Walk/Don't Walk signs at crosswalks.

I fully support laws prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving. You're supposed to be paying attention to the road.

I've heard the same results you cite, and my personal experience mimics yours; hence, so does my conclusion.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hogwash. The legal limit is what, one drink now? I mean it's to the point where it is frightening to have a glass of wine with a meal for fear of failing a breath test or something if you get pulled over for not turn signaling etc. that's not really saying much for driving while cell phoning. Why don't we just continue to ticket those that break traffic laws regardless of the reason and not make it illegal to talk while driving. Many are more than capable of such activity without any impairments at all. Those that are'nt pay their tickets. Perhaps stiffer penalties apply after a certain amount of citations occur within a specified period of time. Oh wait they already track that, don't they?
I'm just annoyed because, for me, driving someplace is the perfect time for catching up on phone calls. Ar you guys for laws prohibiting the driver from talking to passengers?

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 23:41, GlenD wrote:
Why don't we just continue to ticket those that break traffic laws regardless of the reason and not make it illegal to talk while driving...
I'm just annoyed because, for me, driving someplace is the perfect time for catching up on phone calls. Ar you guys for laws prohibiting the driver from talking to passengers?

Glen


Sneaky, sneaky straw man...it's not illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving if you use a hands-free device.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Call it hogwash or whatever you like. There is no such thing, in reality, as multi-tasking. As a magician, you should know that. A person can actually only completely focus on one task at a time. If you don't believe me, try this simple test. Put on a television program and while it is playing talk continuously or recite poetry that you know by memory. Do this for fifteen minutes. I GUARANTEE you that you will have almost no idea what the television show was about.

If you are talking on a cell phone your driving will be primarily governed by autonomic reflexes. It is impossible to read or comprehend signs or signals while your attention is diverted elsewhere. That's why cell phone using drivers don't notice the Walk/Don't Walk signs I mentioned earlier.

But like I said, there have been multiple peer reviewed studies that confirm the fact that using a cell phone while driving creates an impairment equal to .05 blood alcohol or higher. I realize that you don't believe in science. That normally wouldn't bother me. But if you want to pilot two tons of metal on a public thoroughfare while demonstrably distracted, it DOES bother me.

As they say, your rights end where my nose begins.

If you are driving a car, that IS NOT the ideal time to "catch up on phone calls." It is rather an ideal time to pay attention to what's going on around you.

I guarantee that you are going to vehemently disagree with me on this. I also guarantee that you will have a sudden change of heart when you inevitably are the cause of an accident. But then, of course, it will be too late.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
They should start working on a law that prohibits crossing the street on foot while talking on a cellphone or texting. I've dodged plenty of idiots crossing against lights and not even glancing around to see if cars are coming because they were too busy talking.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have said it here before, some people should not be allowed to drive due tob their inability to speak to other passengers without looking at them. No cell phones in cars, texting should be treated more harshly.

The exception is stoned drivers. They are better than straight drivers thus yapping and texting lowers them to average.

Glass of wine with a meal....same glass refilled four times. I quit drinking cuz I drive. I will not drive if I had any alchohol.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 00:37, NicholasD wrote:
They should start working on a law that prohibits crossing the street on foot while talking on a cellphone or texting. I've dodged plenty of idiots crossing against lights and not even glancing around to see if cars are coming because they were too busy talking.


I saw a program recently that had videos of pedestrians using cell phones while walking. One fell into an open manhole and another walked directly into a pool surrounding a fountain in a mall. One can guess that these idiots also talk on the phone while driving.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
With all of the people one here who think getting high and talking on the phone while driving are such great ideas, I'm starting to think there's going to be a significant reduction in the global population soon.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
Marijuana has serious harmful effects on the skills required to drive safely: alertness, the ability to concentrate, coordination, and the ability to react quickly. These effects can last up to 24 hours after smoking marijuana. Marijuana use can make it difficult to judge distances and react to signals and sounds on the road.

Marijuana may play a role in car accidents. In one study conducted in Memphis, TN, researchers found that, of 150 reckless drivers who were tested for drugs at the arrest scene, 33 percent tested positive for marijuana, and 12 percent tested positive for both marijuana and cocaine.

Data have also shown that while smoking marijuana, people show the same lack of coordination on standard "drunk driver" tests as do people who have had too much to drink.


http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/pot/f/mjkids_faq13.htm
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I am convinced car makers think putting a texting set up on steering wheels is a good idea.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
Meant "on here," not "one here."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 23:41, GlenD wrote:
Ar you guys for laws prohibiting the driver from talking to passengers?

Not at all.

The differences are that (a) talking to passengers doesn't require the use of your hands (along the lines of Lobo's comment, above), and (b) unlike someone at the other end of a cell phone call, a passenger is aware of what's going on around the vehicle and is more inclined to stop talking at times when you need too focus your concentration on driving.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2547 Posts

Profile of critter
The only thing I usually say to my passengers is: "Liam, quit hitting your sister!"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hey Bill... Not according to Bob! He thinks it is impossible to multi-task. I understand that to mean an inability to do two things at once without ANY qualifications. I am pretty sure that notion can be shot down with all kinds of simple examples.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 12:21, GlenD wrote:
Hey Bill... Not according to Bob! He thinks it is impossible to multi-task. I understand that to mean an inability to do two things at once without ANY qualifications. I am pretty sure that notion can be shot down with all kinds of simple examples.

Note that my reason (a) might be invalid if the driver is Italian.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Teen convicted of vehicular homicide for texting whilst driving (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL