The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » An honest question on faith. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well look at you, making it past the first sentence. Yay for progress Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I learn as I go along......
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I have a lot to learn, but I feel strongly about what I believe.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
So, are you saying that you only believe things that have been proven?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I wonder how Adam felt about the "development of religion" when he was talking to his creator God everyday?

How many saw Men In Black 3? I thought it was really awesome when Griffin was tripping concerning all the possible futures yet said something about all of them being real and existing... It almost was like a parallel to how it might be to be outside of time. Very interesting.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
LobowolfXXX said:

"So, are you saying that you only believe things that have been proven?"

As opposed to what? Believing thing things that I just read about in some book? If I did that, I would be be watching my my back for the zombie apocalypse.

Believing things that can be be proven isn't a bad thing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 02:09, GlenD wrote:
I wonder how Adam felt about the "development of religion" when he was talking to his creator God everyday?
Glen

Did you ever wonder what language they spoke?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 02:53, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
LobowolfXXX said:

As opposed to what? Believing thing things that I just read about in some book? If I did that, I would be be watching my my back for the zombie apocalypse.

As opposed to believing some things that haven't been proven. The operative word was "only."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
That's a trick question. The Bible was interpreted in over 2,000 different languages. What's the point in even wondering which one of those were used?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 03:13, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 02:09, GlenD wrote:
Glen

Did you ever wonder what language they spoke?

(American) English, obviously Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Of course. Which translation to "American" do you you think is correct? You have a lot of choices.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-07 03:32, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
That's a trick question. The Bible was interpreted in over 2,000 different languages. What's the point in even wondering which one of those were used?

How is that a trick question? It only calls for a yes or no answer.

But since you have pointed out that it must have been one over the over 2,000 languages into which the Bible has been translated, how do you explain that ALL of those languages developed over thousands of years and NONE of them existed at the dawn of man?

So, again, if you are going to take the story of Adam literally and believe that he and God had conversations, what language do you suppose they spoke?

And while were at it, where did Cain's wife come from? Did he marry his sister or, as Clarence Darrow asked in the Scopes trial, did they have another creation in the next county?

(As an interesting side-note, the notion that the Bible is literally true in its entirety only goes back to the 19th Century and is the product of southern American fundamentalism. Other Christians and Jews had a better idea of what metaphor and allegory were all about. They wouldn't have called my query a trick question. They likely would have just called it silly.)
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

With respect to Adam, Eve, Cain and so forth. I think you are aware of this, but for the benefit of the record: The Bible gives two descriptions of the creation process in the first chapters of Genesis. One is more general, and one is specific. In the first, more general version, human beings are created on the sixth day, as a group ("male and female created he them.") Think about the Bible's purpose in describing creation in that way, and the shift in pronouns from singular to plural (remembering of course that English was not the language of its composition.) The second version of the creation, in which Adam & Eve appear, has an altogether different purpose, which is why it is described differently.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That's absolutely correct. Both versions contradict each other as to the sequence of events during "Creation Week." As metaphor, however, they work perfectly. Personally, I believe that a good deal of the poetry and spiritual truth of the Bible is diminished, and in many cases completely obscured, by those who insist on reading every word of it as being literally true.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
"Proof" is an odd concept.

Every child can tell me that the tree outside my office window is there. But can anyone prove it?

Furthermore, how much of our "knowledge" consists of assuming things to be true that we ourselves have never investigated? I mean, really, seriously, how many of you rely on knowledge that you yourselves got through a telescope or microscope--or a radio telescope or electron microscope--or a particle collider?

When Plato wrote about Socrates supposedly explaining the allegory of the Cave, the point was that all of us (ALL of us, except the philosopher) accepts as true a version of reality which we have never personally verified.

It seems to me this remains true.

I mean, think about it: when do you think that Randi last looked into a microscope?

All of us practice faith (in precisely the way that Father Photius explained) all day long, every day. No one has ever proven that I can't jump out my office window and float gently to the ground. I am pretty certain that I cannot do it. And believe me, I'm not gonna try. But "proof" is lacking. I'll just act on faith, and not jump.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
It's not so much that we all need to peer into a microscope in order to see, for example, the flu virus. The fact that those who have studied it and have developed workable vaccines is all the proof that the layperson needs to accept the reality of flu viruses.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Acesover
What I believe is none of your business, but if you look around your church on Sunday morning you will see lots less people than there was years ago.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 06:30, R.S. wrote:
It's not so much that we all need to peer into a microscope in order to see, for example, the flu virus. The fact that those who have studied it and have developed workable vaccines is all the proof that the layperson needs to accept the reality of flu viruses.

Ron

I disagree.

A primitive society with a witch doctor might also accept the "proof" of the workable medicine being used.

Please do not misunderstand me. I'm no believer in superstition. I'm saying that short of looking in the microscope, we are still taking others at their word.

I'm pretty sure I know what keeps a jet plane up in the air. Maybe 99.9999% sure. But I personally have not done the math. Since I've been in jets that were up in the air, I'm pretty sure that the engineers have done the math correctly. And further: I'm pretty sure that they are really good at math, and that other things they say are true are probably true.

But that .00000% is still a matter of faith (again: see Father Photius's post above to understand what the Greeks meant by faith).
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 01:18, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
Rockwall said:

"From your response to what Chessman wrote, I would have to assume you read the first line of his post and then quit reading. At least, I have faith that you did."

Guilty as charged. On occasion I read the the start of a post and assume. Sometimes I'm wrong.

They have a cure for that.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 03:20, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 02:53, Jeff the Unamazing Hack wrote:
LobowolfXXX said:

As opposed to believing some things that haven't been proven. The operative word was "only."

Every time you write something, Lobo, there is a new operative word. It's very difficult to keep up.

(By the way, I believe that it should have been, ". . . you believe only things . . . .", not, ". . . you only believe things . . . ." As one skilled in the use of words, I expect better of you.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » An honest question on faith. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL