The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Buf'd by John Bannon (Magic Magazine Feb 2012) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
There was a previous thread about John Bannon's appearance in Magic Magazine, but this thread is specifically about the effect "Buf'd."

Here's the other thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

Anyhoo....I gave Buf'd a try tonight. It's VERY easy for someone already comfortable handling cards, but I have an issue with the first phase and the presentation. In GENERAL John Bannon's presentations do not work for me. Either they only work for him or they don't mesh well with MY character. For Buf'd, I gave his presentation as written in the magazine and it kind of fell flat.

The effect shows two cards on top, they have to follow which one you put on top and which you put on bottom of the pack. You ask where the queen is (the other card is the ace) and whatever they say (SHOULD be on top at this point), you turn over the deck to show the queen on the bottom. Of course, they were really half right (again, whatever they said), because the deck is now all face-down with that queen face up on top (so it is essentially on TOP now).

You offer to repeat the observation test. This time the "ace" goes to the top of the card box and the "queen" is inserted into the pack. The card on the box turns out to be the queen and the deck is spread to show the other three aces face-up in the spread, sandwiching the face-down ace of spades (the ace we were working with).

I like the moves in this effect but don't really like the patter. Plus observation tests usually come off as awkward and "sucker trick-ish" if you don't handle them correctly. The kicker ending worked wonders, but my problem is with the first phase...

When you show the cards have changed place...the method of switching them is NOT visual and seems to give away the misleading mechanism (my spectator guessed that they had already changed places from their apparent positions). The revelation of the face-down pack under the queen...I feel awkward about it because it seems like the only conclusion your spectator can come away with is that you had the pack reversed in the first place.

So my question is...is there a stronger presentation that can rescue this effect from mediocrity? Or am I totally misunderstanding the supplied patter? Either way, this effect is SUPER easy and I believe it COULD be a stronger effect if it had solid patter.

Thanks!
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Buf'd by John Bannon (Magic Magazine Feb 2012) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL