The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Final Destination experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Anybody ever have one of those near death experiences? Where maybe you barely missed biting the dust or something distracted or prevented you from being somewhere that might have proved fatal for you?

I have had a few near misses and probably more that I am not even aware of. One that I still remember vividly was a flight me and my brother were on, from L.A. to San Diego on PSA airlines. We landed one flight after flight 182 which had crashed into another smaller plane. We came close to being on the earlier flight but mom didn't want to get up quite that early. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182
We were being sent down to live with our father cuz mom couldn't handle us anymore and "needed a break". Unfortunately she didn't even tell him we were coming so when I phoned him after we landed, and saw all the craziness going on due to the crash, good ol' dad just hung up on me when I told him where we were. Fun times... Must be getting close to fathers day.

Anyone else have a close call, brush with death experience that you want to share?

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Not I. My sister in law was booked on that flight that was blown bup over Lockerbie Scotland but a London lawyer picked her upnin a bar and she changed to the next day flight.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I considered going to the Cincinnati Who concert.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
See the thread on electric fences.

On 9-11 I was scheduled to be at a 9 a.m. meeting at The World Financial Center for negotiations with a food service contractor, where our company was headquartered, right across the street from the WTC. Because of a conflict in schedules, the meeting was changed to Monday, September 10th. It came and went.

Had the meeting not been changed, I would have been riding the PATH train to the WTC at just about 8:45-50 a.m. when the first plane hit. I still wonder what would have been the outcome had I emerged from the subway station at WTC. In the end, the floors of the building at WFC where I was to have been at the meeting were blown out on the collapse of the towers. Fortunately all of our employees were evacuated quickly, except for one stubborn reporter who refused to move out and placed numerous security employees, NYPD and NYFD folks at risk in trying to get him out. He stayed, wrote his story and survived. I'll never forgive him. And he can be seen on Fox News from time to time. He's a dickhead for what he did that day in the interest of a scoop and his ego.

Close to death? I don't know, probably not, given all the first responders and everything else going on amidst the chaos. Still, I wonder.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Years back-mid 90s I think-was coming home from another city. My friend was driving, too fast as usual. He had some odd habits while behind the wheel, such as setting the temperature as low as possible so his "reflexes wont slow down". He was fiddling with something, can't remember whether it was the radio or air or something, but he was doing something, which he often did. We cleared a small hill and I saw a car, stopped in the middle of the highway. I just yelled "car". He didn't slow down but steered us off the asphalt. I saw a lot of dust, heard gravel hitting the car and heard a loud bang and then it was over, he had cleared it. Furious as hell I told him to stop on the side of the highway, which he did. Opened the door and just collapsed, my legs didn't work at all. But it had been a close call-the bang I heard was the driver side mirror hitting the passenger side mirror of the stopped car.

After that trip, I removed that guy from my life. Just couldn't get over the fact he had almost killed me. Years later I heard he was passing a truck in a blind spot and hit an oncoming truck head-on, almost 100 miles an hour. At least he was alone in his car.
Sent from my Typewriter
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't recall any of those "got a phone call and missed the flight on the plane that crashed" sort of things, but I've had a lot of jams work out. Fell into some rushing water heading towards a cliff once and my cousin's boyfriend grabbed me out just in time.
Noticed a rattlesnake sleeping in a bush at the last second before I would have accidentally woken it up.
Lots of stuff like that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Yep, that is what I mean. Those are amazing near misses. Think of all the folks that were in those same situations and were not as fortunate as you. Kind of interesting to think about but at the same time easy to dismiss and continue to enjoy being alive. I had a close call with a water moccasin snake in Oklahoma while fishing. Was walking along the ponds edge and right there next to me was one slithering by! I started running away, ready to use my pole to keep a distance if it came towards me. The funny thing was, when I got to the house my cousins got sooo freakin excited. They were like where was he lets go git him and "pop his head off"! I guess they have an activity (I swear I am not making this up) where they grab them by the tail and whip 'em hard enough that their heads literally pop off.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Final Destination experience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL