We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anybody ever put up an electric fence? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
I live in black bear country, so when I started beekeeping as a hobby this spring, it wasn't much of a surprise to find that I had a spring bear gnawing on a hive yesterday. Now, I have to put up an electric fence to keep the bears out of the beeyard.

I've never installed an electric fence before. I have been researching stuff on the net about them and think I have the basics figured out, but was hoping there might be some of you out there who have installed them that might be able to give me some do's and don'ts that you have learned through experience before I begin this project.

Anyone?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My Grandpa put ours in so I can't tell you about installation.
What I can tell you is that, after it's installed, do not pee on it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 11:18, RJE2 wrote:
I live in black bear country, so when I started beekeeping as a hobby this spring, it wasn't much of a surprise to find that I had a spring bear gnawing on a hive yesterday. Now, I have to put up an electric fence to keep the bears out of the beeyard.

I've never installed an electric fence before. I have been researching stuff on the net about them and think I have the basics figured out, but was hoping there might be some of you out there who have installed them that might be able to give me some do's and don'ts that you have learned through experience before I begin this project.

Anyone?

You may want to contact your local Dept of Natural Resources, or whatever they call it in your state. Or a local University Extension office. They will probably have some tips for you and in some cases may actually give you the materials. I know in some states they will provide free electric fencing materials to beekeepers.

I'd love see some pics of the hives and/or the bears if you get a chance. Good luck with the bees.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Never put one up, but I had one knock me down.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2928 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 11:18, RJE2 wrote:
I live in black bear country, so when I started beekeeping as a hobby this spring, it wasn't much of a surprise to find that I had a spring bear gnawing on a hive yesterday.

Awesome Smile ! Marlin beat me to this a little, but, I recommend keeping your camera handy. Smile

And, good luck explaining to the bears why they shouldn't bee ( Smile ) there. Smile
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
I don't have any pictures of the offending bear, but here is a photo of another taken from my kitchen window before I had the beehive. The beehive now sits about 20 yards away to this bear's 2 o'clock.

Click here to view attached image.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
This is a different bear again. Again, this was taken prior to the keeping of bees. This picture was taken through my patio doors at the back of the house.

This bear is in my backyard. The previous photo shows a bear in my driveway. These are both spring bears and visited in different years. I just started to keep the bees this year.

I guess I was being optimistic in hoping that there would not be a bear interested in the bees.

Anyway, I'm off to the hardware store on Saturday morning to get the supplies to put up the electric fence.

I live in Ontario and am a registered beekeeper. The Ontario government will make a one time payment of $300 if a hive is destroyed. My hive was just chewed up a bit, so I'm not going to file a claim. I'll put the fence in at my own expense.

Click here to view attached image.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 11:21, critter wrote:

Hehehe I don't know if peeing beside a beehive, with or without an electric fence is such a good idea!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2928 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for the pics. Get more! Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Yes thanks. Cool pics. They look like pretty healthy bears.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 14:12, RJE2 wrote:
Quote:

Hehehe I don't know if peeing beside a beehive, with or without an electric fence is such a good idea!

I wouldn't ever get that close to a bee-hive anyway. Deathly allergic.
~Will Rogers
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Looking forward to seeing the pics of those bears with their hair standing all on end.

Or does electric shock make their hair fall out? Would they then be "fuzzy-wuzzies"?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Be sure to check local laws before putting up an electric fence. I found out the hard way that you shouldn't put them around the kid's playground or in a swimming pool. Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
What if it just makes the bear mad? Smile
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 11:42, Michael Baker wrote:
Never put one up, but I had one knock me down.
I had one knock me down once too Michael; yikes, what a jolt that was.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1952 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
I could tell you a story about my little sister, but I won't.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Bob, Why would anyone get upset if the electric fence was in a kid's pool? It's not like it was a real person's pool. Smile

I remember as a kid walking across some fields with a couple of friends and coming up to an electrical fence. I was going to touch it to see what it was like, but one of my friends touched it before I had a chance. I'm glad he did because after I saw him jumping around and swearing, my curiosity was gone.

Apparently these things come in all sorts of different powers and types of "wires." For my bear fence, this is a bare wire and extra strong juice. I don't want to hurt him, but I do want it to get his attention and make him want no more of it.

And yes, it would be great fun to be able to see him when he gets zapped!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 20:03, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
I could tell you a story about my little sister, but I won't.

As one rather accomplished mentalist would say: Smile
~Will Rogers
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:

That was my first thought too. I remember the day my cousin Andy took up that dare. At first we laughed at him but then I think we were all pretty scared by his screams and lingering pain.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
So if I understand you country folks right, this is kind of like urinating on the subway's third rail? Several hair raising legends about that.

A recent incident with some interesting background:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew......way.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anybody ever put up an electric fence? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL