The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anybody ever put up an electric fence? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I dared my cousin to pee on an electric fence about 60 years ago, and he still talks about it. Apparently it's a memorable experience.

My farmer uncle had me touch his fence while carrying a pail of water. I was about 11, I think, and luckily he had a low-zapper one, but that was bad enough.

It shouldn't take much to discourage a bear.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 21:01, RJE2 wrote:
Bob, Why would anyone get upset if the electric fence was in a kid's pool? It's not like it was a real person's pool. Smile

I don't know. I thought it would be a good way to keep the kids and my piranha separate.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Mythbusters claimed to have busted this theory. I don't believe them. If they really believe it won't shock you then let one of THEM pee on it. LOL
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 23:41, The Drake wrote:
Mythbusters claimed to have busted this theory. I don't believe them. If they really believe it won't shock you then let one of THEM pee on it. LOL

No, they found the theory plausible regarding an electric fence, but busted it regarding a third rail:

Quote:
Upon retesting the myth on an electric fence it was found to be Plausible, but the rail was still Busted. Distance was the factor, as the urine stream breaks up less at the close range needed for urinating on the fence than urinating on the third rail, thus ensuring a direct line of current between one's body and the electrical source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters......ird_Rail
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I use to touch electric barbed wire fences as a kid in Washington. It is an experience one must try.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 00:48, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-07 23:41, The Drake wrote:

No, they found the theory plausible regarding an electric fence, but busted it regarding a third rail:

Quote:
Upon retesting the myth on an electric fence it was found to be Plausible, but the rail was still Busted. Distance was the factor, as the urine stream breaks up less at the close range needed for urinating on the fence than urinating on the third rail, thus ensuring a direct line of current between one's body and the electrical source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters......ird_Rail

I wonder if standing in a puddle of water represents the same thing as peeing? I was unknowingly standing in a little puddle of water out in Montana twenty-five years ago when we came upon a wild game farm in a remote area near White Sulphur Springs. I had to get a picture of the elk out there, and thought nothing of the wire fence at the perimeter off the road. Got my camera out, mosied up to the fence, put the camera through the wires on the fence, braced my chest up against the fence and WHAAAAAP! I honestly thought my heart was going to stop. Scared the **** out of me.

I don't get within ten feet of those things anymore. And the final indignity was the sign on the fence that warned of the electicity that I didn't see till it was all over. Those things aren't for playing with.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 01:07, MagicSanta wrote:
I use to touch electric barbed wire fences as a kid in Washington. It is an experience one must try.

I came across one a few weeks ago and had an almost irresistible urge to reach out and touch it. But I didn't. Maybe next time.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Progress report:

Before I could put the fence up, I had to move the hive a couple of feet forward. That required splitting it into 2, upper and lower boxes (brood supers). Lets say the bees weren't none too pleased with having to move. I was prepared though and was wearing my complete bee suit with a pair of work gloves over my bee gloves no less.

Got the posts in the ground, still in the bee suit because I had them all over and around me. Next, I had to string 4 strands of wire around the posts. Well, apparently, if you do not keep the tension on the spool of wire, the wire "springs loose" and some how ties itself into knots, while still on the spool, and won't unroll! Great!

I am now sweating in a full bee suit. There are hundreds of angry bees buzzing me. I have two pairs of leather gloves on. My glasses are fogging up and I'm looking through a screen mesh attached to my head trying to find the end of a silver colored wire tangled in a spool of said wire gone haywire. Why should anything be simple when you can make it so dang difficult?

So, finally worked out the wire and strung it on the posts and joined the strands. Attached the "hot" wire to the fence and began unraveling it toward the garage, where the energizer is. About 8 feet from where it is to attach to the energizer it stops. The dang wire wasn't long enough. Of course I didn't measure it. It was supposed to fit! Doh!!!!

So, tomorrow, it's off to the hardware to get a few things to finish the job.

In the mean time, all hot, sweaty and definitely bothered, if that d*** bear shows up tonight, I'm goin' to stab it in the eye with a broken pencil!!!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Why the bee suit? I saw a nut reach in a lump of bees and yank out the momma then shove em into a box. No mask! Bees caame zipping in from all over, dang bees.

Bears have rights!

Bear walks into a bar and says 'i would like a.............. white wine' the bartender asks 'why the long pause?' The bear replied 'I was born with 'em'. Pause! Paws! Ha ha ha
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Aaah, what you saw Santa was a swarm. That's when the bees are looking for a new home. They form that big bundle of bees and aren't interested in stinging anyone. Me, I had just ripped apart their home and they were p***ed about it. They were lookin' to lay a hurtin' on anyone they could. That's why I was wearing a beesuit.

Loved the joke, but I'm still goin' to stick that ol' bear in the eye for puttin' me thru so much hassle.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh, see I learnt sumthin.

I read an article that said a parasite killed all the native bees in California.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 21:42, MagicSanta wrote:
Bear walks into a bar and says 'i would like a.............. white wine' the bartender asks 'why the long pause?' The bear replied 'I was born with 'em'.

Good one! Smile

And RJE2, I think the bears might have a different opinion of who's putting who through a hassle. Remember, you said you live in bear country .
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2012-06-09 07:48, magicalaurie wrote:

And RJE2, I think the bears might have a different opinion of who's putting who through a hassle. Remember, you said you live in bear country .

True, but I sure wish he'd go find someone else's bees to munch on.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
I bet if you did just sashay on up to that old bear and poke him in the eye with a broked off #2 Ticonderoga (and it has to be a #2 Ticonderoga or it won’t work), if you did that, he’ll never bother you no more.

For one reason or another. Smile
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I put up an electric fence, but my dog isn't quite the pick of the litter so he kept getting shocked. I eventually took it down because I felt bad for him Smile
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Fence is now up with 7000+ volts just awaiting to train that ol' bear and any other woodland critters that may want to do harm to my bees.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Got 'im!!!

Or, at least I got something.

Lying in bed last night around midnight I heard a series of sounds all in quick succession. It sounded like a wire being twanged followed by a loud whuump and then an animal scream. Went out early this morning and the fence is still up and working and the bees are fine. Whatever walked into that fence won't likely be back.

Guess I can put away that ol' broken pencil now.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Fortunately you are not dealing with a wolverine . . . who'd likely tunnel under your fence, tear it down, and rewire it to your bathroom tap so that a fistful of 7,000 volts would be the first thing greeting you in the morning . . . just saying . . . honey badgers aside, wolverines can be ornery . . . .
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Maybe it was Bigfoot!
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-06-12 07:12, Woland wrote:
Fortunately you are not dealing with a wolverine . . . who'd likely tunnel under your fence, tear it down, and rewire it to your bathroom tap so that a fistful of 7,000 volts would be the first thing greeting you in the morning . . . just saying . . . honey badgers aside, wolverines can be ornery . . . .

Thanks for a great morning chuckle... Smile
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anybody ever put up an electric fence? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL