The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scanner (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1798 Posts

Profile of Prager
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 19:37, bevbevvybev wrote:
A LOT of people already have the original that came out around 7 years ago. There were pages of threads about it here on the Café. You may find quite a few people taking you up on the offer of being refunded. Seems a bit of a strange way to do business.


No one has asked for a refund yet.
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
It seems pretty simple to me. Jose came up with this idea independently, realised it had been released before, bought the rights to it and is now selling it. If you already own the other published version then he will give a refund.

What's not to like?

I'm normally the first person to cry foul when people market things poorly, and I've slung a fair bit of mud at Jose in the past. But here he is playing by the mentalists code and getting a load of hate.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Well said.
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 19:43, Davit Sicseek wrote:
It seems pretty simple to me. Jose came up with this idea independently, realised it had been released before, bought the rights to it and is now selling it. If you already own the other published version then he will give a refund.

What's not to like?

I'm normally the first person to cry foul when people market things poorly, and I've slung a fair bit of mud at Jose in the past. But here he is playing by the mentalists code and getting a load of hate.
thementalist814
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of thementalist814
I have received a review copy of "The Scanner" by Jose Prager and so here's my review:

Mentalists have always been on the lookout for the right "Impression Device that is cheap and easy to make. A few have come along but I've heard them say that they are impractical. I know many mentalists who have embraced Richard Osterlind's "Imp Pad" and works fine. But I always thought... You should be able to get an impression, whether you are using it for pre-show or real-time situations, and it should be easy to make and be able to handle them well with no fidgeting or awkward moves.

Well, after reading Jose's "The Scanner", I believe I've found that notepad. It is such a brilliant concept, that I hit myself in the head thinking, "why didn't I come up with that?" A quick trip to an office supply store should get you the necessary materials to make one of these up yourself and Jose tells you what you need to get. You may even have the necessary materials needed right in your own home. People who have posted about not finding the right pad for this effect will be delighted to hear that these pads may easily be found...well, follow the link to a secret forum that is included in the manuscript where other purchasers may share ideas with each other. The "gimmick" can be found at any Staples, Office Max, or Office Depot. After you read this manuscript I guarantee you will laugh out loud what the gimmick is and appreciate how genius it is.

Even though Jose gave me a review copy of The Scanner, I will still purchase it once he publishes it at my Mecca, Lybrary.com I'll have a backup on Lybrary's Magic Cloud System, and Jose deserves to make money on something that he releases to the fraternity. Everyone needs to pay bills! Overall, I highly recommend this ingenious Impression Pad, that has many paths of possibilities, where only your imagination can take the right one towards that what you want to achieve with your audiences.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1099 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
Jose's "Scanner" is an inexpensive, easy to make I.P. that you will use if you make it up. His subtleties in the PDF are nice as well.

Not sure what the controversy is about...Jose found out this was similar to someone else's idea, and bought the rights AND is offering a refund if anyone had previous knowledge of the idea used. Seems very fair to me!

All in all, you can't go wrong with Scanner!

Kudos Jose!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 19:43, Davit Sicseek wrote:
It seems pretty simple to me. Jose came up with this idea independently, realised it had been released before, bought the rights to it and is now selling it. If you already own the other published version then he will give a refund.

What's not to like?

I'm normally the first person to cry foul when people market things poorly, and I've slung a fair bit of mud at Jose in the past. But here he is playing by the mentalists code and getting a load of hate.


Well it isn't the first time Jose has jumped to release something that isn't original...I think we'd be a bit more forgiving if he'd listen or learn. I think he's trying to suggest that the original IA pad was in some way limited but as been pointed out it was extremely well known and it wasn't like it was released in Annemann's time - it was only 7 years ago. Yeah he bought the rights but you have to wonder why he'd want to when the original was well known AND still on sale!
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1523 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
I have a review copy of The Scanner. I'm not going to draw too many conclusions until I've actually used the pad but here are some initial thoughts:

1. It seems like a practical, low-cost solution.
2. The handling is fairly similar to the Tommy Pad, which is why I'm going to compare the two below. Plus, my regular pads are Tommy Pads, so I'm more than familiar with its subtleties.
3. The necessary materials are easier to find on the high-street than the stuff you need for the Tommy Pad.
4. Creating a pad is going to be quicker and easier than the Tommy Pad. And less messy.
5. You can, following one swift and logical move, convert the Tommy Pad into a regular notepad that can be given away or otherwise left for inspection. To do the same with The Scanner you'd need some privacy and a few extra seconds.

I'll come back with more once I've actually made and used one. I have to say that some of the rave reviews above seem to have been made in haste! Let's road test for a few days, guys. Your comments will stand for years on this forum. A short real-life review process beforehand is surely worthwhile? Otherwise certain questions, such as "how long between rebuilding?" will be ignored.

David Numen: As far as I knew, the AI pad has been off the market for some time. Is that not correct?

T.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 04:41, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
I have a review copy of The Scanner. I'm not going to draw too many conclusions until I've actually used the pad but here are some initial thoughts:

1. It seems like a practical, low-cost solution.
2. The handling is fairly similar to the Tommy Pad, which is why I'm going to compare the two below. Plus, my regular pads are Tommy Pads, so I'm more than familiar with its subtleties.
3. The necessary materials are easier to find on the high-street than the stuff you need for the Tommy Pad.
4. Creating a pad is going to be quicker and easier than the Tommy Pad. And less messy.
5. You can, following one swift and logical move, convert the Tommy Pad into a regular notepad that can be given away or otherwise left for inspection. To do the same with The Scanner you'd need some privacy and a few extra seconds.

I'll come back with more once I've actually made and used one. I have to say that some of the rave reviews above seem to have been made in haste! Let's road test for a few days, guys. Your comments will stand for years on this forum. A short real-life review process beforehand is surely worthwhile? Otherwise certain questions, such as "how long between rebuilding?" will be ignored.

David Numen: As far as I knew, the AI pad has been off the market for some time. Is that not correct?

T.


No, the IA pad was still available. Not that it's relevant - the impression Jose has given is that the IA pad was some kind of obscure limited release from years back when a)it wasn't that long ago and b)it certainly wasn't obscure because plenty of people talked about. Indeed I recall some controversy about a secret forum where members discussed the secret behind the pad openly to other members who hadn't purchased the pad. As a result it was pretty widely known about.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6121 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I stopped supplying IA pads a few years back. But the manuscript has been available for a number of years as part of a bundle when the 7th Sense code is purchased. And still is at the moment. Jose purchased the rights to use the principle so I guess he can use it as he sees fit. Although I think maybe crediting it to the original a bit clearer would help him stop getting this reaction? Maybe even in his advertising.

As I believe he said he was going to update it with contributions from other mentalists. I don't know if he has but would be a good idea.
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Let's see...20 bucks to Jose PLUS construction of a pad, OR 30.50 to Rigg's for a legends pad that he hand makes for you.

No question what I would do.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6121 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
To be fair this is not a pad its a principle. The original was completely examinable fooled many top mentalists. Its not replacing anything. But when the occasion is called for can be a very strong addition to your arsenal. plus for 20 bucks you can construct a dozen for 12 bucks or less which leave things open for some very interesting applications...

But I am not selling this I will leave it up to Josh..

By the way the original product cost nearer 50 bucks.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1523 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 05:46, Aaron E wrote:
Let's see...20 bucks to Jose PLUS construction of a pad, OR 30.50 to Rigg's for a legends pad that he hand makes for you.

No question what I would do.


That's not really a fair comparison. Most Riggs devices will last a very long time, while the type of pad that Jose is discussing is disposable.

As mindpunisher alludes to, once you've bought the instructions you can make (very easily, I would think) lots of pads for very little money. And you can continue to do so for life.

I have Riggs devices and disposable devices. As I've said to you before (regarding peaks vs i*p p*ds), it's horses for courses. Different devices, different possibilities/options.

T.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of David Numen
On the plus side as wonderful as Riggs devices are I think it's always practical to have something usable that you can make yourself and the IA pad (and presumably it's new form The Scanner) is definitely cheap, easy and workable.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 19:43, J.Prager wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 19:37, bevbevvybev wrote:
A LOT of people already have the original that came out around 7 years ago. There were pages of threads about it here on the Café. You may find quite a few people taking you up on the offer of being refunded. Seems a bit of a strange way to do business.


No one has asked for a refund yet.

Thanks for taking care of my business.


Sigh . . .

Jose, my friend (and, yes, has I've said here before--he is my friend), easy--Bev's one of the good guys--and, like you, highly creative. A simple--"They're welcome to" would suffice.

To the ardent Jose bashers, well your opinions probably won't ever change. He'll survive.

To those who have moved a little closer to realizing that Jose's thinking is the kind that should be encouraged: don't stop pointing out what he might be doing better (in a cordial way, I would hope). He's young and extremely gifted: sometimes the two attributes clash.

To those who have always believed in Jose: this effect should only confirm your good judgement. You can be proud of him now and prouder later.

I guess this is just a long-winded way of saying let's do are best to teach the next generation, if not how to spark ideas (which isn't really necessary, for example, in Jose's case), but how to do so by covering bases and not ruffling feathers.

Finally, to both sides--the generation that is emerging and the generation that has emerged: P*ssing on people and p*ssing off people is hardly the appropriate baptism for our order/art.

Oh, and BTW, I love SWIPE, but then I have more IMPs than I need, but not as many as I want (or something like that)!
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Theres not much else I can add to what everyone else has already said, but the scanner is a brilliant method and idea for an Imp Pad. It is hard to compare to other great imp pads like my parapad but the noticeable differences and benefits are of course:

1)its much cheaper
2)Replacing your scanner is super easy and simple
3) You can use any type of notepad you like to suite your performance.

I love this imp pad, brilliant idea, worth every penny. Thanks Jose for sharing this old idea with the rest of the community!

regards,

M.I.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1523 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 22:58, Mind illusionist wrote:
3) You can use any type of notepad you like to suite your performance.


I disagree. Jose is quite specific about the type to use
I'd agree that the appropriate type comes in many shapes, sizes and designs though.
T.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Oppps, my bad!

Long day--said SWIPE (which should be SWIPEIT) instead of SCANNER. I do, however, use both and think that both are really beautiful.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2091 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Have just bought the necessary to make this up. The imp*s are exceptional. This is well worth making.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I really like this, a little harder to find 'the needed' than I thought it would be (it should be everywhere you look really)

this is brilliant!

I don't think all the Tommy Pad (which I have) comparisons are needed, it's hard not to compare them for the obvious reasons of them being the same ultimate device but no more than any other IMO, a couple of handlings lend themselves well but it's pretty different to me

both are equally excellent!

I can see myself using this a lot, it has a nice freedom to it and is actually really easy to do, you can limit the need to worry about angles or anything too

if you are looking for a simple imd device, you will not be disappointed with this, it works exactly as described and is really well written for what it needs to be
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 01:50, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 22:58, Mind illusionist wrote:
3) You can use any type of notepad you like to suite your performance.


I disagree. Jose is quite specific about the type to use
I'd agree that the appropriate type comes in many shapes, sizes and designs though.
T.


My apologies, that's what I meant to say! Thanks for the correction Simon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Scanner (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL