The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..47..51..55..59..63..64~65~66 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
R.S.

I am just curious and of course you do not have to answer. Were your parents atheists and were their parents atheists and if yes to both do you have any idea when your family turned atheist. The reason for asking is actaully brought on by your stating that children are born into a religion, which I believe you are correct, and having said that I am curious when your family changed their their views as atheisiem is not a religion so I would imagine somewhere back in you lineage your family had some sort of religious beliefs and was curious as to when they broke these ties or are you the first?

I for one follow your example and for as far back as I can trace my family has been catholic.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Hi Lobo,
No-ones ever added or taken away anything from the Bible, except for Christians.

This is a new heaven and a new earth, and there is no more sea. The sea of division between religions is gone. There is only one religion of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 21:39, acesover wrote:
R.S.

I am just curious and of course you do not have to answer. Were your parents atheists and were their parents atheists and if yes to both do you have any idea when your family turned atheist. The reason for asking is actaully brought on by your stating that children are born into a religion, which I believe you are correct, and having said that I am curious when your family changed their their views as atheisiem is not a religion so I would imagine somewhere back in you lineage your family had some sort of religious beliefs and was curious as to when they broke these ties or are you the first?

I for one follow your example and for as far back as I can trace my family has been catholic.

It is Bahai law that patents educate their children on science and ALL religion. At the age of 15, all children of Baha'i parents have the obligation to choose what pathway they wish to take in life

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 21:41, kambiz wrote:
Hi Lobo,
No-ones ever added or taken away anything from the Bible, except for Christians.

This is a new heaven and a new earth, and there is no more sea. The sea of division between religions is gone. There is only one religion of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future

Kam

Anyone who claims that the Bible is the true word of God and some other stuff that came later is true, too is, in some people's minds (and I think it's a pretty good interpretation) "adding unto" the things in it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 21:43, kambiz wrote:
Quote:
R.S.

It is Bahai law that patents educate their children on science and ALL religion. At the age of 15, all children of Baha'i parents have the obligation to choose what pathway they wish to take in life

Kam

What about the non-Baha'i parents of a sovereign nation under a Baha'i parliament?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 21:19, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 12:47, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 09:14, acesover wrote:
Obviously the majority of people in this world have been fooled according to you as I believe the majority of people in this world are christians. I guess you atheists are just smarter than most everyone else. Smile Can't fool you guys first there was nothing then there was something then here we are Bang. And you are talking about a ball under a cup. Jeeeez.

BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT

Aces,

EVERYBODY in the world has been deceived by their own senses/perceptions/memory at one time or another. Claiming 100% certainty about anything is probably not a good idea. (and I'm 99.9999% certain about that statement) Smile

Yes, I AM talking about a ball under a cup! It either exists or it does not, right? Some wholeheartedly believe it does while some may not. But when the cup is lifted and the truth is revealed, we see that somebody was wrong. Somebody who "knew for sure" that they were correct in their belief.

No thanks, I will NOT "believe what I want." I will instead accept that which is backed by sound evidence, reason, and logic. And I will, if necessary, gladly dismiss that which I have previously accepted in the face of new, more convincing evidence for something else. That should be the correct approach, no?

Ron

OK then. Having said what you said above. Exactly what proof would you need to believe in God? What sort of sound evidence, reason and logic would make yo ubelieve in God? You did saay yoiu would except that which is back by those atributes? So again just asking?

An omiscient and omnipotent God would know what it would take to convince me. If he wants to leave convincing evidence (convincing to me), or reveal himself to me in some way, it would easily be in his power to do so.

But let me ask you, what would it take for YOU to believe in, say, Ganesha?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I have a friend who went to Ganesha High.

R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
R.S.

That's a valid question Aces, and I thank you for asking. My parents were Catholic. And so were their parents. And their parents, as far as I know. I myself was a Catholic and a believer. I don't know if I'm the first to break religious ties - I may have some agnostic or atheist relatives someplace, but I really don't know. My guess is they would be few and far between. What about you?

Ron
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:
R.S.

Kam

Thanks for you response, but the question was for R.S. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 22:18, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
R.S.

That's a valid question Aces, and I thank you for asking. My parents were Catholic. And so were their parents. And their parents, as far as I know. I myself was a Catholic and a believer. I don't know if I'm the first to break religious ties - I may have some agnostic or atheist relatives someplace, but I really don't know. My guess is they would be few and far between. What about you?

Ron

I stated before that I am a model as to what you said about having been born into my religion. As far back as I can go my family were always catholic. This I can trace back to before they immigrated to the U.S. from Poland.

BTW thanks for your response.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 22:23, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 22:18, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
R.S.

Ron

I stated before that I am a model as to what you said about having been born into my religion. As far back as I can go my family were always catholic. This I can trace back to before they immigrated to the U.S. from Poland.

BTW thanks for your response.

No problem Aces!

Ron
:)
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 21:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
R.S.

Kam

What about the non-Baha'i parents of a sovereign nation under a Baha'i parliament?

What Bahai parliament?

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The commonwealth with the world legislature designed and empowered to bring the Baha'i vision to fruition.

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 22:06, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 21:19, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 12:47, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 09:14, acesover wrote:
Obviously the majority of people in this world have been fooled according to you as I believe the majority of people in this world are christians. I guess you atheists are just smarter than most everyone else. Smile Can't fool you guys first there was nothing then there was something then here we are Bang. And you are talking about a ball under a cup. Jeeeez.

BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT

Aces,

EVERYBODY in the world has been deceived by their own senses/perceptions/memory at one time or another. Claiming 100% certainty about anything is probably not a good idea. (and I'm 99.9999% certain about that statement) Smile

Yes, I AM talking about a ball under a cup! It either exists or it does not, right? Some wholeheartedly believe it does while some may not. But when the cup is lifted and the truth is revealed, we see that somebody was wrong. Somebody who "knew for sure" that they were correct in their belief.

No thanks, I will NOT "believe what I want." I will instead accept that which is backed by sound evidence, reason, and logic. And I will, if necessary, gladly dismiss that which I have previously accepted in the face of new, more convincing evidence for something else. That should be the correct approach, no?

Ron

OK then. Having said what you said above. Exactly what proof would you need to believe in God? What sort of sound evidence, reason and logic would make yo ubelieve in God? You did saay yoiu would except that which is back by those atributes? So again just asking?

An omiscient and omnipotent God would know what it would take to convince me. If he wants to leave convincing evidence (convincing to me), or reveal himself to me in some way, it would easily be in his power to do so.

But let me ask you, what would it take for YOU to believe in, say, Ganesha?

Ron

Who?

I already have a belief so I am not open to any more.

So you cannot reallyanswer my question can you? You said and I quote you here: "I will instead accept that which is backed by sound evidence, reason, and logic." but when I asked you what it would take you have no answer. So what you said is a lot of baloney right? I mean I am only quoting you not being a wise guy here.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Acesover wrote:

Quote:
I already have a belief so I am not open to any more.

That comes pretty close to summarizing the difference between science and religion.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 23:37, LobowolfXXX wrote:
The commonwealth with the world legislature designed and empowered to bring the Baha'i vision to fruition.

It is my understanding of the Bahai writings that this vision will occur regardless of the Bahai Faiths input. It's the next stage in humanity's organic evolution.

Kam
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
When you refer to Baha'i Law, though, are you referring to laws that only Baha'i are subject to (when this vision occurs), or do think that the compulsory religious education is one of those laws that would be required to "regulate the life, satisfy the needs and adjust the relationships of all races and peoples."?

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Also, organic evolution costs more than regular evolution.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Baha'i law only applies to Bahais. If the constituent members of a democratic state choose to adopt Bahai law as their principle constitution, then that might be another matter.

A lot of Bahai law is already seen in most western countries today anyway. I guess the application of a 'year of patience' for divorcing couples would come into play too. Can't really think of many other things off the top of my head....

Kam
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
...I guess the application of a 'year of patience' for divorcing couples would come into play too...

I don't know what this is- but if it's what it sounds like then it sounds just awful.

*Edit* Looked it up. It's what it sounds like.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A TOUGH QUESTION TO ANSWER.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..47..51..55..59..63..64~65~66 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL