The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O Brave New World (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
From educator Diane Ravitch:

"Yesterday I posted a blog about the Gates Foundation funding research at Clemson University for something called Galvanic Response Skin bracelets. The project will enable researchers at Clemson to work with researchers in the Gates Foundation’s Measures of Effective Teaching (MET) project to measure student engagement physiologically...

These bracelets, as I understand it, would be worn by students to measure how engaged they are, how bored they are, how they respond to their teachers. If they are bored, it won’t look good for the teacher. If students show a high level of engagement, the teacher will get credit. The teachers too will wear the bracelet, to find out how engaged or bored they are."

http://dianeravitch.net/2012/06/10/more-......w-world/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What's the bribe for wearing a watch battery to class?
And is the "electric stimulation as an aid to learning " study on the calendar yet, Doctor Milgram?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Be patient, Jon, patient. Sooner than you may think. Dr. Strangelove has some pull.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Where are the data showing that this sort of "engagement" has anything whatsoever to do with "learning"?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's funded by that great educator Bill Gates, whose teacher evaluation schemes are taken seriously by most major cities. Can't wait.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Sheesh . . . another stupid fad if not a means of monitoring and controlling people. As President Garfield once said, “I am not willing that this discussion should close without mention of the value of a true teacher. Give me a log hut, with only a simple bench, Mark Hopkins on one end and I on the other, and you may have all the buildings, apparatus, and libraries without him.”
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O Brave New World (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL