The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are your favorite tricks in these books? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChuckB
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ChuckB
I went through the thread of suggested books and have purchased a few. I'm interested in your opinion on your favorite tricks in these books, and perhaps suggestions for me to start with, keeping into consideration that the more difficult knuckle-busting sleights are beyond my current ability. Here's my humble library of magic:

Royal Road to Card Magic
Stein and Day Handbook of Magic
Fine Art of Magic
Stars of Magic
Close Up Card Magic
My Favorite Card Tricks
Encyclopedia of Magic
Amateur Magician's Handbook
Page by Page
Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy

Thanks!
JJKnight
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JJKnight
Nice library, I only have the Royal Road so far myself and am reading it for the second time to really let it sing in. I don't really have a favorite effect yet but I do kind of like the onw I thinks called the gamblers picnic, it's kind of early in the book and a self-worker. It's another one of those effects that let the spectator do all the work and therefore looks less 'sleighty' and more magical.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1944 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
There are loads of great tricks in those books, but the key is asking whether it will be a great trick for YOU.

I take a slightly different tack on this subject. I start by asking what I want to do. Then I look in my library to see what options exist for doing that.

Example: cups and balls. I wanted to learn to perform this. I bought a cheap set of cups. I went to Mark Wilson's book and also the L&L DVDs. I played around with a lot of moves that were hard for me, and some that were not. I still have about a dozen differen routine ideas that I jotted down as I thought about this one foundational trick. Finally, I put together a decent basic routine that suits me. It isn't anything spectacular, but it means I can perform the cups and balls and I know that it is my own routine. All of the experimentation meant that I was not actually copying any other performer's presentation, though I am inspired by at least three.

So, what do you want to do, magically?

Advice: Pick one trick you really want to learn. Use the description in the book, or see someone else perform it or whatever. Pick one. Look in your books for a method and presentation. If you have two or three methods, learn them all. Now, pick the one that seems most natural to you. Do it over and over and over. Don't discount the self-working tricks. Some of these can be knockouts if you have anything resembling a presentation.

Now, the real secret of making it work in performance. Practice out loud. A couple dozen times or so. When you are driving in the car, turn off the radio and talk through your trick patter. Don't ignore the "um"s or the awkward wording. Fix the issues and say it all again. You don't normally get do-overs with a performance, so don't give yourself infinite do-overs in practice.

Pick another trick and repeat the process. But don't stop practicing your first. When the second one is going well, practice doing one right after the other. Finally, now that you have two good tricks that you have practiced out loud a few dozen times on your own, you can show them to someone else. Just offer one trick to start with. Do the trick. If your audience says "do another" you can say "okay, but just one more, I'm still learning." Do the other one.

Now that you are all jazzed about performing, go learn another trick.

-Patrick
Albatros
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
132 Posts

Profile of Albatros
Hey Chuck,

indeed a nice library! I don't have all the titles myself, but lets check what I got...

Royal Road was my entry to card magic, although I don't use any tricks from it. Actually for this I have my copy of Classic Collection Vol. 1 - and thus Close Up Card Magic Smile There is a lot of material I like from that one: Out of this Universe, Take me to your leader, The Apex Ace and many other pieces are worth your time.

From the Stars of Magic I regularly use Triumph, although it would be a shame to limit this book to just this one trick.

And although that's just three of your books I can vouh for the fact that you have a lot to explore. Have fun!

All the best,
Sven ^^
"Palming cards... Like sex, it can be learned by almost anybody,but doing it well requires some native talent and assiduous practice." (John Scarne)
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1014 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
My favorites?

Stars of Magic: Dai Vernon's Triumph
Close Up Card Magic: Out of This Universe
My Favorite Card Tricks: Impromptu Out of This World
Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy: Twisting the Aces

You have a great library! Take your time, and learn everything well. Good luck!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @PsychicCPA
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5962 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's my favorites?

Fine Art of Magic: Hindu/Gypsy Thread & Wll-o-the-wisp
Stars of Magic: Dai Vernon's Triumph & Cutting the Aces
Close Up Card Magic: Apex Ace & Out of this Universe
RRTCM: Gathering of the Clan
My Favorite Card Tricks: Impromptu Out of This World
Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy: Twisting the Aces
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Good advice.

I find my tastes change over the years. You have so much good stuff in all those books. See what catches your fancy today.

It may be different five years from now.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
163 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Hi Chuck

Having worked 2/3rds of the way through RRCM, Obliging Aces has been one effect that immediately clicked. The reasons are various and probably subconscious - the trick just felt right the first time I tried it. This is a trial and error process and the best advice I can give is to try each effect even if it sounds like something you'd never do. Sometimes the cosmos align, the moves just seem to fit your hands, personality, and skill level. In other words, you just "know" this is the effect for you. As your skills and maturity in the art progresses, other effects, sometimes passed over, will "click" for you. Sometimes it's frustrating to go through a bunch of stuff and not really find anything, but once you do it's a fantastic experience.

You've got great sources to draw from - dig in and have some fun!

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Stars of Magic alone should keep you busy/ inspire you! It's a fantastic book.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Close Up Card Magic:

STOP it is always a crowd pleaser
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
697 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Royal Road : Design for Laughter
This trick always kills for me as I do a bit of comedy in my routine. I like to do this trick about 2nd or 3rd to really help with the witless magician.
Tenacitiz
View Profile
New user
A pathetic total of
71 Posts

Profile of Tenacitiz
I remember getting rrtcm and just being overwhelmed because I tried to read it to quickly. I have gone over it a number of times in recent years and it always throws up some gems I overlooked before.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Kangaroo coins, copper/silver and Triumph from the Stars of Magic
Design for Laughter, Righting a wrong, Ambitous Card, Gathering of the Clan
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
JayB80
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of JayB80
I have performed many of the tricks out of the Royal Road to card magic and have to say the one that seems to really amaze people is the 3 cards across routine. I get such a great reaction from it. I have recently added a little extra to the trick whereby 3 additional cards have suddenly appeared in the spectators hand, I then ask another spectator to reveal a card they picked earlier (example the five of clubs) I then ask the participant holding the cards to count once more and suddenly another fve cards appear in their hand. This extended version can be found in Roberto Giobbi's card college if I recall. The moves are so bold you will wonder how you get away with it. A wonderful effect.
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
You defiantly have a good library for starting, and the next steps are to make the material work for you and your presentation style. Adapt the methods and slights to meet your needs and test with smaller audiences to get a feel of what works for you and what feels "off".

I would also like to recommend adding Tommy Wonder books of wonder to your Library. His way of thinking is amazing and the books will really lead you and your art to a new approach of creating your own material.
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
ChuckB
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ChuckB
I did find a video by Tommy Wonder on Ebay, and it's really interesting. Also, I did learn, at Dr JK's suggestion the Impromptu Out of this World (Lorayne). Simple and ingenious. For the most part, I'm still working on the RRCM.

BTW- additions from a couple purchases, garage sales, craigslist purchases, etc have grown my library to far beyond what I have time to absorb. If anybody has any other favorites in these others, or just comments, I welcome all input. Thanks.
Books & Notes
Royal Road to Card Magic; Hugard & Braue
Stein and Day Handbook of Magic; Stein & Day
Fine Art of Magic; Kaplan
Stars of Magic; Tannen
Close Up Card Magic; Lorayne
My Favorite Card Tricks; Lorayne
The Magic Book; Lorayne
Encyclopedia of Magic; Wilson
Amateur Magician's Handbook; Hay
Page by Page; Page
Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy; Vernon
“Outs” Precautions & Challenges; Hopkins
Magic and Showmanship; Nelms
Blackstone Book of Magic & Illusion; Blackstone Jr.

Video
Visions of Wonder Vol 1; Wonder
Sessions with Simon; Aronson
100% Commercial; Normansell
Easy Hand Illusions; Ray
Basics of Expert Card Technique Vol 1; Burt
Basics of Expert Card Technique Vol 2; Burt
Basics of Expert Coin Technique Vol 1; Burt
Basics of Expert Coin Technique Vol 2; Burt
Basics of Expert Coin Technique Vol 3; Burt
Card Flourishes; Burt
Chop Cup; Burt
Zarrow Shuffle; Burt
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Here are my favorites in Royal Road. I'll have to post later to break down the other books on your list:

https://youtu.be/yud5vtWQxaY
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1615 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2012, ChuckB wrote:
Royal Road to Card Magic
Stein and Day Handbook of Magic
Fine Art of Magic
Stars of Magic
Close Up Card Magic
My Favorite Card Tricks
Encyclopedia of Magic
Amateur Magician's Handbook
Page by Page
Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy

There is so much good material in these books.

You probably need a separate thread for each book if you want to get some decent responses.
BlushingCrow
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of BlushingCrow
As John Bannon himself said "If I were able to only do one trick for the rest of my life, it would be Twisting the Aces"

Easily my favourite trick, I plan on learning it next year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are your favorite tricks in these books? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL