The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kill Bill Tomorrow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Who's going to see it ? I've been waiting for this movie for along time. I don't think I've been this excited about a movie this century.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Nobody has anything to say about this movie?
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I will after I see it (probably tomorrow). I've been waiting a LONG time for my next Tarantino fix and it's finally arrived. And from the trailers and reviews, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
TheJames
View Profile
New user
USA
24 Posts

Profile of TheJames
Going to the midnight showing tonight
A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around!

http://jraglandmagicstore.cjb.net
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-10-10 01:25, Justin R wrote:
Who's going to see it ? I've been waiting for this movie for along time. I don't think I've been this excited about a movie this century.

Tarantino doesn't thrill me that much and I don't intend to sit through a film I already [know] isn't finished! When he comes out with both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 on a two-dvd set, I might consider it!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I just got back from seeing "Kill Bill" and I enjoyed the film very much. I'm looking forward to seeing Volume 2 of Kill Bill.
But I must say that this movie was very, very violent and gory! I recomend this movie to anybody who likes this kind of stuff.
But Please be aware that This movie is NOT recomended to anyone under 18 years of age. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-10-13 01:09, Mistro wrote:
I just got back from seeing "Kill Bill" and I enjoyed the film very much. I'm looking forward to seeing Volume 2 of Kill Bill.
But I must say that this movie was very, very violent and gory! I recomend this movie to anybody who likes this kind of stuff.
But Please be aware that This movie is NOT recomended to anyone under 18 years of age. Smile

Knowing they took a 3 hour movie and cut it in half I have to ask, do you feel the cut was in a fair reasonable spot?
Ain't life unkind?"
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I have many thoughts about this film after seeing it last night. I'll post my hyperactive thoughts here as I do not frequent any movie message boards (if you don't know why, you've never been to one).

This is, without a doubt, one of THE most violent films ever made. The violence is carried non-stop to such an extreme it nearly becomes comical or satirical, but not quite. It stays hovering in some strange limbo between nauseating and surreal. I can't believe I doubted QT for a second. Sometimes, in great films, I have a horrible habit of trying to count the brilliant things that happen ("That was a great shot", "I loved the movement of the camera there", "I liked how that plot point was tied together"), but I couldn't do that with "Kill Bill." And the reason was because I lost count within the first ten minutes. In this movie, there is not a single shot, motion, line, color, or smell that has not been languished over and fully concieved before filming.

This is not going to be a movie for everyone, I realize. It's relentless in its violence. There is a scene in here as shocking and disturbing as the gay rape scene in Pulp Fiction (you'll know it when you see it). There is an anime sequence. Limbs are decapitated at an exhausting rate (complete with comical geysers of spurting blood). There are some images so gruesome that they reach a kind of unsettling beauty (the beheading at the conference table and the final shot of Lucy Lui for instance).

Now here's why I admire Tarantino, especially in this film. He makes violence violent. Most American action movies are vicarious entertainment in which buildings explode, cars flip, thousands of faceless people are apparently slaughtered and all while the filmmakers keep cooly detached, never ackowledging the consequences of such mass carnage. But in Kill Bill, each death is squirm-inducing and viscerally disturbing. Kill Bill shames other gory action movies by acknowledging the anguish of violence and not allowing the audience to experience it in purely escapist mentality. This movie WILL make you an active viewer.

And the cinematography and art direction are the best you'll see in any film this year. Speaking from a technical standpoint, this is truly one of the best made films I've seen. I loved the direct simplicity of the plot, I loved the performances which somehow manage to maintain straight-faced sincerity amid the rising ridiculousness. Like QT's past films, there are long stretches of film that have a hypnotic quality I cannot account for. Something about the composition, the lighting, the use of color (QT still likes red, orange, and yellow), and the way the camera lingers unflinchingly creates long passages in which you can't look away or even blink. And the thing I most admire about QT- every scene is a high-wire act. Tarantino pushes it as far as he can in every scene, risking everything on moments that, if they had not worked, would have blown the whole thing. There is much more I can say about this film, but I want to see it again. And again. And then I want to see "Kill Bill: Vol. 2."

Mandrake, I have to disagree with you on something. "Kill Bill" is finished. The film was split in two after the fact. I was kind of hesitant about this walking into the film, but after seeing it I can understand the decision. After an hour and a half I was exhausted and needed time to collect my thoughts. Four months might just be enough.

P.S. - There's a shot in it I can't get out of my head. Uma Thurman has slaughtered the Crazy 88 Fighters and all 88 are layed out on the floor, blood covering everything, decapitated limbs littering the floor and their limbless bodies somewhat lined up from corner to corner of the screen. A horrific and quite surrealistic image. And yet it somehow reminded me of the shot in "Gone With The Wind" in which Scarlett O'Hara walks into the field and the camera backs up and we see what seems like hundreds of wounded and dying Confederate soilders layed out as far as the eye can see. Anyone else make this link or is it merely a product of my feverish imagination?

Anyway, I have to go and watch "Toy Story" now to cleanse myself.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
I just got back from theater watching Kill Bill. The only disappointment I have is I got to wait another 4 months for Vol2!

The plot is simple, and very very violent which many consider very disturbing. Its not the most gory movie I've seen. That one should always be "Dead Alive", but I consider that a comical movie. Kill Bill is very realistic, even the anime scene you'll feel the thrill.

BTW, anyone notice QT had foot fetish? Watching his films again he like shooting women's feet and toes Smile
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Quote:
On 2003-10-13 20:37, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-10-13 01:09, Mistro wrote:

Knowing they took a 3 hour movie and cut it in half I have to ask, do you feel the cut was in a fair reasonable spot?

Yes, I thought it was cut off at the right spot. Can't wait for the second one!!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Mandrake, I have to disagree with you on something. "Kill Bill" is finished.

I didn't mean to imply that it was still being shot or something. I only just discovered that what we're seeing is "Volume 1" and that it was cut in half by the studio for better marketing. If I was a [major] Tarranteno fan, I would see it anyway. Since I'm not, I'll wait until both halves are released on DVD and see it then.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kill Bill Tomorrow (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL