The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Golf routine/balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Hi Everyone

I've been thinking of putting together a golf themed routine and was wondering if this has been done before. I'm sure it's not an original idea, but as I've never seen an act with a magician playing a golfer type persona I'd be interested to know what is out there. The last thing I'd like to do is copy another act. Your ideas/thoughts about routining, props and transition ideas welcome.

Following on from this I'm looking for a set of golf manipulation balls with s***ls. Penguin sells a set by Matthew Reesman, however they are sponge and don't include s****s. I also found a set at Denny's, however they are sold out. If anyone has a set of golf manipulation balls then I'd be also interested to know what the quality is like and find out whether the dimples are real or painted.

Lastly I recently bought a set of 4 silicone balls with 2 gimmicks which were advertised as white but are actually very 'off' white. They feel good in the hand. However the only problem for me is that my little pinky on both hands is small. The tip of my pinky is pretty much even with the end phalange join on my ring finger when my palm is flat. It makes manipulation a little difficult at times. I'd also like to get into coins so trying to find a good size for my hand. In Australia we have a 20c piece which is 28.52mm in diameter and 2.50mm thick. A little too thick and small to manipulate. Will look around at various coins which I imagine I'll have to import.

thanks

Andrew
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
WOW! What a loaded question.

Yes, to professional performers have created and performed a Golf Act. The late great Jay Marshall, owner of Ireland's Magic which is now Magic Inc. in Chicago, Illinois, USA. Then Bev Bergeron also developed a Golf Act. Last I looked on his sight he is selling a manuscript of the routine.

http://bevbergeron.com/manuscripts.html

As far as Multiplying Golf Balls, the only ones available are the inexpensive Loftus yellow Golf Balls and the Fakini Golf Balls. Fakini makes a Climax 5" Golf Ball, the Diminishing Golf Ball, and the 4 Ball Climax. These are expensive, but are perfect and will last many years.

It looks like there is a current shortage of the Fakini Golf Balls, so you will have to contact the Fakini Company.

Don't worry about something being a little off color, it has nothing to do with your ability to perform well.

Don't worry, you are not deformed, you little finger is like everyone else's, anyway, mine ends behind my 1st phalanges of my ring finger. All you do is put in a lot of practice. Multiplying Balls is not a self working trick, it task skill and talent to present them well.

As far as coins, it is for stage work, then there is nothing better then Norm Nielsen's Palming Coins, these are American Dollar size.
http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/manipulationpage.htm

I also found these Half Dollar size American Palming Coins that look like the American Half Dollar.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14043

Hope this helps answer your questions.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I believe Bill covered about everything, so all I will ad is that the Fakini Golf Balls are great. (They have real dimples!)

Regan
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dan Rodrigquez (Past SAM president) actually did a golf act a few years ago. Worked a lot of gigs around Vegas area.

Wm. hit a bunch of the great acts from years gone by. The Russ Walsh (yes that Russ Walsh) did a very nice golf act.

I did a banquet type presentation with a bunch of goofy ball jokes years ago. I will have to dig it out and write it up.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I perform Russ Walsh Acrobatic Golf Club to this day. They are no longer available, but there are a few Mikame Golf Clubs still available.

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=40587

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=40588

I always thought producing a Flagstaff the end of the Multiplying Golf balls would be a good ending. Instead of a Flag, attach a Pennant shape flag, with the number 13 on it for the "13 Hole".
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I would have thought the flag should have "19" on it...for the 19th hole (the club house bar)!

Too bad you're in Australia Andrew, as the shipping might be prohibitive. I've got everything that has been mentioned, almost. Fakini Golf balls w/s***l, Giant Climax Golf Ball, Diminishing Golf Ball and (2)Flash Four Ball Productions. And the dimples are all real!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Yes, shipping is a big problem for us given the distance. I'll check out the Fakini's.

I gather the acrobatic club was like the Mikame in that it 'dances'? Thanks for the clips Hegblini, however this doesn't resonate for me. It looks exactly what it is, a stick on a wire. If there was a way to manipulate it like a dancing hanky then I'd consider it. I still think it comes down to context however. Why would a golf club dance? Visually I could imagine something interesting like a club that rises out of a golf bag almost as if the club thinks it can do a better job than another iron in your hand but as for swaying around the body. No. Would like to do something with golf gloves, Ts, grass, hole in one etc. Just starting to brainstorm theatrical possibilities.

thanks

Andrew
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My reference to the Mikame Golf Club, was for availability, not content. I do not do the "Dancing" nor did Russ Walsh, it is up to the performer to create what he wants the effect to be. These are the only Golf Clubs currently available on the market. The other person from Europe, Creekmoore who made golf clubs also passed away several years ago.

By the way, it is not on a stick, and your insult or lack of knowledge is distasteful. Yes, you can make it rise out of a bag, and do some or all the things you mentioned.

To answer you question, why would a golf club dance, because you won the Grand Open Tournament, could be one reason, you are so happy and delighted to have won.

Well, I had a number of tips and suggestions, but will now exit this forum and not return.

Good luck Andrew.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
James Swain has a good routine with golf balls, and a final large one. I found a large plastic golf ball at K-mart, attached to an oversized kid's putter for about 4 dollars. I found yellow practice balls to use (they are somewhat soft, but don't really compress and great to manipulate). These can be found at most sporting good stores. Of course I needed a sh*** so I bought some plastic golf balls from a sporting good store (Dick's I think) and cut a few of them and shaped them with boiling water to get what I needed. Then since my main golf balls were yellow I painted the shells and big ball to match. You can, I would imagine, find practice balls that are white though. Hope that helps!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Golf routine/balls? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL