The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Need a classy close-up case (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Hey guys I am shopping for a new close-up case, any good recommendations? Also does anybody know where I can get some suitcase dividers?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to a luggage shop.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Some folks like doctor's bags.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
How much stuff do you need to carry?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I use a computer laptop bag.
Lakewood, Ohio
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a catalog case and only go to it to restock or swap out props. I work out of my pockets when strolling.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2012-06-16 00:01, Rick Holcombe wrote:
http://casesgalore.com/professionalseriescameracdcase.aspx

That's a Good One !
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
bertietonks
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of bertietonks
That is a great case Rick and I love the cubed foam so that you can configure accordingly. I use an old gladstone doctors bag (not the big case version) I always get people asking me what is inside because it looks quite mystical in itself and certainly full of character. DIY shops are another good place to look as they do silver cases intended for tools which can be of quite a handy size and layout for your magic gear.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Here is the case I use. I leave it behind the bar. It has a handle on the top and an lock. It was only $14.99 at the Target near me. It also comes in white and silver.

http://www.target.com/p/black-security-box/-/A-592000

Patrick
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
He said he wants classy. A lot of these don't lOok classy. I use 2 dr bags. One black, one brown depends on my outfit. ALWAYS gets compliments.
Hofi
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Hofi
For situations where I want and need to carry the close-up case I have an old-style doctor bag which does have dividers inside. In addtion I bought some of the cube foam material which is used in camera bags to ensure that all the items does have the perfect place.

In addition to that I have a aluminium trolley which is being used by mobile cosmetic people, lots of small dividers etc.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2012-06-22 00:58, pepka wrote:
He said he wants classy. A lot of these don't lOok classy. I use 2 dr bags. One black, one brown depends on my outfit. ALWAYS gets compliments.

I guess we need to determine what his definition of classy is. Smile
magicshayne
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of magicshayne
I use one of these cases you can pick them up cheap used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsonite-Brie......291cea3a
Derek O
View Profile
New user
Basingstoke UK
9 Posts

Profile of Derek O
Hi - I use a small metal photographers case (you can also get them from DIY shops in UK). They are about £20 or $30. Alternatively, I have use a Men's wash-bag/ toiletries bag for smaller performances - perfect for cards, sponges, cups etc. Derek
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I use black, zip-up toiletry bags that I get from the drug store. These come in several sizes. I use one for each type of show I might do: walk-around, sit-down, parlor, children's. Like Alan Munro, I like to work out of my pockets, even for parlor shows, so I load the stuff out of the toiletry bag into my pockets before going on. I work light so one toiletry bag can handle each type of show. There are some tricks that are used in several types of shows, for example the died silks and the Slydini knots. In these cases, I have two sets of props, one set in each bag, because I want to keep each whole show intact.

For my mental act, I use some bigger props--books, pads, etc.--so I use a black, zipped canvas bag that is considerably larger than the toiletry bags; however as with the other "acts" I keep everything together.

The above works fairly well, although I switch out and change shows from time to time, so I sometimes end up with tricks that I do not plan to use in a bag.

For storing tricks not currently in the standard shows, I use a shelved closet in which I keep lots of clear plastic shoe boxes that contain about 100 tricks plus spare silks, playing cards, etc. As I do a lot of card tricks where the spectators sign the cards, I need lots of new decks and therefore buy these on-line in boxes of 36 decks; I keep these in the shelved closet. In the closet, I try to keep each trick in its own plastic sandwich bag--the ones with the tops that close. Along with the trick, I keep a copy of the Word document that has my patter for the trick and instructions for performing. The Word file gives a two-column table that has on one side the actions and on the other side the patter.

For magic books and DVDs, I have several book shelves.

For tricks that need construction-- Ultimate Ambition, which needs new decks from time to time, the Card-to Le Paul Wallet, which needs specially prepared envelopes, and the Newspaper Tear, which needs prepared packets--I keep all the materials for construction in a clear shoebox in the shelved closet. All the shoe boxes (of various sizes) are marked with labels.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Here is a sneak peek first look at Dr. Paul's Professional close up workers boxes/cases.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120......94-1.jpg

Since Dr. Paul is a good friend of mine I though I would give you all a first look at some of these boxes before anyone else in the world sees them. The boxes shown here on his table saw are in various states of finishing process, some of them still need a couple more coats of finish. Yeah, that should tell you something about the quality of these boxes. The green felt interior can be seen on the small box center. This box was created to hold small jewelery and is shown here just to give you a better idea of what green felt lining looks like. All the new boxes are created using flocking a better and finer treatment for box interiors. This process is the same that is frequently seen in fine jewelry boxes. There is another version of this small box that was redesigned to properly hold gimmicked coins although not shown in the above photo. These boxes will be available very soon from Stevens Magic Emporium, speak with Mark Stevens for more information about when these will be available. Should be within the next week or two.

Now I going to give you a bit about how this whole thing came about.

I personally hate trying to use a make up cases since many of the compartments where not designed to hold magic items such as cards, coins, markers, etc...make up cases where designed to hold make up supplies and not magic equipment. While these may be an okay alternative when you cannot find anything better. The problem with make up cases is that if you have not noticed already, many of the items you want quick access to have to be put lower sections of the box because that’s the only place they will fit. When the truth is that everything should be available for quick and easy access. The other problem is make up case allow stuff to move around and bang together and this is never a good thing. Make up cases have many other problems as well these will become apparent when one takes the time to think about it.

So I helped design the special interior of these boxes because I was sick and tired of not being able to find what I need the very moment when I need it. I could not stand the fumbling through the case anymore. So I went to speak with Dr. Paul who is one of the finest wood workers I seen in many years who is also a medical doctor and does fine woodworking about building a proper close up workers box. Here the thing many of the so-called boxes of this kind that are marketed to close up worker are made by people whom have never done a close up show in their entire life or to be a bit kinder only done a few close up shows. The problem as I saw it was no one with the exception of a few guys who have retired or have passed on are making close up worker boxes that not only reflect a professional image but also took the many hours needed to know what and how a close up case or box should be set up for working. So I did something about that problem and redesigned the who look of the close up box for the working paid performer. Now my personal close up show is packed and ready to go, all I need to do is walk in to the venue open the box and get to work. Every effect now flows without hesitation and fumbling around that I was experiencing with the other case types. That's why I did it and I am not making money on this either. But this age old problem had to be addressed. I am personally tired of some magic guy who discovered a source of china made cheap boxes and then gets the bright idea he can sell this thing as a close up case for ten times more to magicians just by calling them a magic close up case. The fact is simple many of these cases were never designed to be used by magicians and that’s why many of us all always hunting for a new or better close up case.

Here on the Café this topic comes up again and again in thread after thread. The other problem with many of these cases like much of magic equipment in general these days is its not quality and the stuff for the most part is not made to last a lifetime of use. That's something I would love to see change, from the manufactures its not like there not charging enough for some of this stuff how about a little bang for the buck as that would be nice for a change. Yes I know there are some guys out there who only make great stuff I know this because that's all I buying these days. Sorry if that seems like a rant but that s how the how thing came about.

While this is only a sneak peek at the outside of some of these boxes I am withholding the pictures of the interiors since some of these features that are very special and different to what has been done before.

The best way to think of these boxes is a presentation or fine jewelry box for magical items that can be used during a show. Since they all look great you will not have to hide your close up workers case under the table any more. If you need to protect a secret inside just keep the lid closed and have the box orientated so no one can see inside. Its that simple.

Each box features one or more of these fine details:

A flocked interior (color varies)

Upright full deck or packet effect card storage for easy and quick access to that special deck when needed, these boxes can also be used for a classic collection storage box when not used in performance.

Some of the boxes feature extra compartment(s) for additional items you may need while performing.

A Sharpie or pen holder. This feature is very handy as it will allow you to access a pen or sharpie at a moments notice. In fact the box was designed with this feature in mind before the box was built. Too often this feature is over looked and many commercial and or antique boxes will not hold a writing instrument. How often have you had to search for a pen in the bottom of your close up case. That’s why this special feature will help.

All boxes feature high quality wood and exotic wood veneers, wood inlay.

Currently there are several box interiors to chose from one box is designed to hold 4 full decks and other items and is perfect for most close up shows. Another box is specialty designed for storing magic decks and will hold one dozen deck. This model was designed as collector storage for all of those special magic decks that we invest a fortune in. It may also be used during a close up show if all you do is card work. The individual compartments can also be used to hold packet effects and or gaffed cards.

The next box was created for the general who likes to change his or her show up from week to week.

Best of all, the interior compartments of each of these boxes where designed to allow the performer quick and easy organized access while performing a close up show.

One more thing the large box shown at the back is created with thick alternating inlay its a wonderful box that takes a couple of weeks to build. Here is a close up view of that box.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa120......1295.jpg

Cheers
Bill Montana
Mark Stevens
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Mark Stevens
What a trip! I guess it's a good time to announce, (albeit a bit early), a new close up case that fits the definition of "high class" all the way will be forthcoming from Bill Montana and crew. It will be constructed from quality hardwood, as Bill recently added another quality wood crafter to his crew. Our own Louie Gaynor (resident expert) was even impressed with the samples provided. To early to provide more details, and had I not seen this post - I would of waited until the product was ready to launch.

I know the goal is to create an exceptionally refined, high-class quality look from quality hardwood that is both functional as it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye! I have no doubt, Bill Montana and crew will accomplish just that.
Escape Artist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Escape Artist
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 17:45, Magic Patrick wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-22 00:58, pepka wrote:

I guess we need to determine what his definition of classy is. Smile

This is the case that I carry for my close-up show.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Need a classy close-up case (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL