We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Using traditional figures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
For the last few weeks, I have been bringing out John, my traditional size 7 figure. Due to his size, (I need to transport a large case just for 1 puppet)he has not ventured out of the garage in quite awhile.

I was pleasantly surprised of the response "he" got, as his personality is not as fully developed as some of my more used puppet. He was a hit at the library, country music venue and a coffee shop.

A few months ago I was thinking about selling him. I actually listed him on my local rings web site. Now I am leaning toward keeping and using him more.

Have you brought back into your act any puppets from your "past"?

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I haven't, but I am still using Henry, my traditional hard figure. There's always a response when I get him out, usually positive, and I often hear a gasp from the audience. Occasionally I'll hear someone who insists on saying aloud 'those things scare me'. I just ignore it and do the act. I've only had one really bad reaction to him in the years I've been using him. I am planning on replacing him in my kidshows at some point with a soft puppet version. I've spoken to the Dummy Shoppe about it. Plans are currently on hold, but it is still the plan. I have three main reasons for wanting to use a soft puppet in his place. One, the reason you mentioned Harris, he's big and requires a large case. Two, I love the expressiveness of a soft puppet, especially with rod arms. Have you ever watched Dan Horn? Man, the possibilities. And three, little kids generally relate better to the soft puppets. Especially if I am at an elementary school, it can be more difficult with that age group to get past the 'those things are creepy' response. I do get past it, but it's an unnecessary obstacle to getting the audience to connect with the character. They connect IMMEDIATELY with Frank the Wonder Dog, a JET soft puppet. Partially because he's a cute animal puppet, but partly because he is a soft puppet, and if you know JET's work, you know how appealing her characters are.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I'm a hard (figure) guy myself, but I don't perform for kids. When I first bring Oscar (in my avatar) out, I always hear some gasps and wows and more than a smattering of applause. (Thank you, Ray Guyll). I have a few soft puppets, but I just associate vent with hard figures. That's my narrow-minded rut, I know. We each find what works for us and our audiences.

Bob
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
I had several soft puppets but sold them all when I started using traditional vent figures. Absolutely nothing wrong with soft puppets by any means. It's just that I prefer hard figures which I too associate with what a vent uses. Terry Fator does pretty darn good with both, as does Jeff Dunham, IMHO:o)
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
This wasn't met to be another soft versus hard figures. It was about going back into your past to bring a puppet that had not been used "back to life".

Seems as if I am getting more repeat gigs. Consumers seem to like a combination of the known, with a few new(to them)items.

My background in improvisation really helps in this area.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I had an older figure I wanted to bring back to life, but it was latex and had yellowed from time, it was a shame because otherwise the figure is like new.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Dave - I had the same thing. Andy was a Wubble character and not only yellowed but literally started to disintegrate.
When I got my Horton character, much of Andy's personality transferred to him. I know we aren't doing the hard vs soft debate but for me as a person who does exclusively kids and families, I find soft puppets better.

I do find the advantages in reduced weight as well. I get my whole show is a rolling duffle bag (like a hockey gear bag)
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I envy you being able to pack light Neale. I'm still using two hard cases for a full performance like a school show. Do you get everything in the duffle, sound equipment and stands and all?
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Neale - that' why (besides preferring hard figures), I've not bought any more latex figures. Mine hasn't even shown any signs of disintegrating, just yellowed.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Using traditional figures (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL