The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Show Review of Max Maven - Thinking in Person (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Tonight was the first night of the show here in NY, and I must say that words cannot describe how amazing this show was, but I’ll try.

First, I have been to at least 40+ live shows within the magic / mentalism category, by far this show outdoes all of them.

It’s not just about the effects that I am talking about, but the entire presentation, it’s very obvious that this is a result of many decades of work.

I took with me a friend that was never at a magic show, and claimed she really has no interest in it but wanted to go anyway as she liked the whole reading mind thing.

She knows so little about cards that when she was called up on stage for one of the effects, she didn’t even know the proper names of the card, it took the already funny show and made it even funnier.

By the time the show was over she wouldn’t stop talking about it, in the car she’s on youtube looking up max maven and other of the great performers, she’s not interested on how it’s done , but rather just found lots of enjoyment watching the routines etc.

During the 15 minute break I spoke to some people there, many said they never been to a show within the magic / mentalisim category, yet the smiles and happiness on their faces where priceless.

It’s easy for me to say I enjoyed it, but it’s important to share with others here not to be scared to take someone there that has never been to a show etc as I am confident they will like it.

I won’t go into all the effects and tricks, but he organized the show in a way where there is no boring moment, he keeps on moving, so even if one story or effect might not interest you, within minutes he’s on to the next.

The start and ending of the show link beautifully together, the theater itself is clean, nice and very comfortable, and a friendly staff.

The stagehand Melanie Crispin adds some nice touches of humor, and she looks fabulous.

If you have the ability to go see it, you should go.

On youtube one of the most popular and high rated clips are those of Ricky Jay and his 52 assistance, and rightfully so, this show for those in the industry and non industry people is 100x more entertaining, and that’s saying allot as the ricky jay show was amazing!

At the end of the show I had the honor of meeting Harry Lorayne in person, I thanked him for the great work on his best ever DVD collection, he was there not as part of the show but as a audience member, he’s another person that deserves lot’s of credit for getting more people into enjoying magic, these youtube clips take regular people who never really spent any money going to shows, and turns them into supporters of magic.

He used many audience members, making each show almost original because so many things can happen when you ask regular people on stage.

Thanks for reading.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Great review! I would also be interested in learning what materials he did in his show,, what it consisted of? How long was the show?
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 13:10, Mindpro wrote:
Great review! I would also be interested in learning what materials he did in his show,, what it consisted of? How long was the show?

started at 7 went to almost 9 with a 15 minute break

lots of the show is presentation, something you cant learn from a book or hold on to, it sounds crazy but if you take a guy teach him all lines and all effects and place him on stage it wouldnt work lol

but having said that you had card effects, mind reading effects mixed with cards, drawings mentalisim, cool coin story, lock trick, just non stop stuff, like I said I'm confident in recommending it as there is no one a person wont find the whole show if not most of the show very unique and very entertaining
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Some credit has to be given to the director, Alexander "Sandy" Marshall, on this one as well. Sandy directed a show a few years back at the NY Fringe Fesitval and seems to have an inate ability to receive great reviews for shows he produces and directs. I intend to make it out to see this one soon, I saw it back in Chicago a few years ago and can't wait to see what's been updated and enhanced.

Cheers,
Ben
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
Thanks for the review! I'm planning to check out his magic lecture at Tannen's next week, but now I'm tempted to try & get tickets for the show, lol. I saw Penn & Teller for the first time a month ago in atlantic city & thought it was amazing. What seats did you end up getting & do you think the view would be for the 'regular' priced seats?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2012-06-20 10:26, link8822 wrote:
Thanks for the review! I'm planning to check out his magic lecture at Tannen's next week, but now I'm tempted to try & get tickets for the show, lol. I saw Penn & Teller for the first time a month ago in atlantic city & thought it was amazing. What seats did you end up getting & do you think the view would be for the 'regular' priced seats?

Not a bad seat in theater. Don't miss it!
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-20 10:26, link8822 wrote:
I sat right in front, row 1 or 2 is your best bet,
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
92 Posts

Profile of ahofer
Saw the lecture Monday night, he was great, so just bought three 2nd row tickets for the last performance. Can't wait!
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
Thanks. I enjoyed the lecture & after finding half-price tickets, I'm planning to go tonight. How long does the show last? Trying to make travel plans & don't want to miss the last bus back.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-29 09:45, link8822 wrote:
Thanks. I enjoyed the lecture & after finding half-price tickets, I'm planning to go tonight. How long does the show last? Trying to make travel plans & don't want to miss the last bus back.

starts about 7 by 9 or so you should be out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Show Review of Max Maven - Thinking in Person (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL