The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "We are someone else's property." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 16:06, Woland wrote:
I think it is a presupposition of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, that a free man belongs to himself, and a free woman belongs to herself.

Back in those days, the presumption was that a man and woman were one. And that one was the husband.

Even today there are many Americans who would deny women sovereignty over their own bodies.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

You're exaggerating a bit, about both then and now.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-14 20:17, Woland wrote:
Hi Bob,

You're exaggerating a bit, about both then and now.

You think? Ever hear of coverture?

Quote:
Coverture (sometimes spelled couverture) was a legal doctrine whereby, upon marriage, a woman's legal rights were subsumed by those of her husband. Coverture was enshrined in the common law of England and the United States throughout most of the 19th century. The idea was described in William Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England in the late 18th century.

Under traditional English common law an adult unmarried woman was considered to have the legal status of feme sole, while a married woman had the status of feme covert. These are English spellings of medieval Anglo-Norman phrases (the modern standard French spellings would be femme seule "single woman" and femme couverte, literally "covered woman").

A feme sole had the right to own property and make contracts in her own name. A feme covert was not recognized as having legal rights and obligations distinct from those of her husband in most respects. Instead, through marriage a woman's existence was incorporated into that of her husband, so that she had very few recognized individual rights of her own.

As it has been pithily expressed, husband and wife were one person as far as the law was concerned, and that person was the husband. A married woman could not own property, sign legal documents or enter into a contract, obtain an education against her husband's wishes, or keep a salary for herself. If a wife was permitted to work, under the laws of coverture she was required to relinquish her wages to her husband...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coverture

And the fact that even today there are many (and "many" was the exact word I used) who would deny women sovereignty over their own bodies is self evident.

For example:

http://www.care2.com/causes/rep-steve-ki......ion.html

So where did I exaggerate?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Like China with their forced abortions.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree, Tommy.

From the last link I cited above - a perfect example of those who would deny women sovereignty over their own bodies:

Quote:
During a House Judiciary Committee Rep. King said that Connecticut had a right to ban contraception in Griswold v. Connecticut, the 1965 Supreme Court decision that overturned a law in Connecticut that prohibited the use of birth control, even for married couples. According to King, states have the power under the 10th Amendment to ban contraception despite the fact that the Supreme Court held the constitutional right to privacy says otherwise.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Locke's homesteading principle is, IMO, verging on begging the question. One would have to own the natural resources before mixing them with their labour, of at least a legitimate claim to them. In which case that claim precedes the labour and it really is nothing more than first come first serve. The labour only serves to make evident ones claim, again, IMHO.

I am intrigued by the "better title" theory of property.
http://mises.org/journals/jls/17_2/17_2_2.pdf

However I don't think it's quite there yet.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We the people are and have always been owned by them who have the gold. The bankers decide everthing ie if you want to build this or that you don't go to the government, you go to the bank and ask them. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kooAgqCHGvU
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-06-14 09:59, Woland wrote:
Yes, Tony, it does make sense. So if "we" are "someone else's property," what does that imply? What was Charles Fort getting at? Do we really have that sort of relationship with everyone else, in which everyone recognizes that "someone else" has property rights over "us"?

I think Fort was of the opinion that there was someone "outside" what we all see and know who plays us like puppets.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
As there are, even today, some who would deny children, those unborn, nearly born, and even newly born, sovereignty over their own bodies.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 00:38, rockwall wrote:
As there are, even today, some who would deny children, those unborn, nearly born, and even newly born, sovereignty over their own bodies.

Actually, according to the laws and constitution of the United States, the unborn and the nearly born have no sovereignty over their own bodies, nor do the newly born or children.

According to the law, the unborn are not recognized as having the same rights as the born.

Abortion is not murder. It is not only legal, it is a right guaranteed by the constituion.

There are those who would like to make it murder.

There are some who would like to change hundreds of years of law and grant sovereignty over their own bodies to the unborn. This makes no sense to me.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
And the law is always right, isn't it, Pop?

Yours are among the most disgusting words I have ever seen.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 02:39, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 00:38, rockwall wrote:

Actually, according to the laws and constitution of the United States, the unborn and the nearly born have no sovereignty over their own bodies, nor do the newly born or children.

According to the law, the unborn are not recognized as having the same rights as the born.

Abortion is not murder. It is not only legal, it is a right guaranteed by the constituion.

There are those who would like to make it murder.

There are some who would like to change hundreds of years of law and grant sovereignty over their own bodies to the unborn. This makes no sense to me.

It's not legal, however, to kill the newly-born (or in cases to even strike children), so I wouldn't say that children have "no sovereignty" over their bodies.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'm not surprised that those on the right who disagree with Roe v. Wade would attempt to derail this thread by trying to turn it into a debate about over abortion. But I specifically did NOT refer to abortion in my post. The example I provided was directed at the banning of all forms of birth control, something that Rep. King (R-NY) and many others have advocated by taking the stance that Griswold v. Connecticut be overturned.

How is that NOT an example of those who would deny women sovereignty over their own bodies?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
There is, of course, a distinction to be made regarding the terms "sovereignty" and "property". Also, Pop's post begs the question as to whether something like a natural right to property exists (as opposed to a purely legal one). Pop also dismisses any notion of property based on divine law--which, given his theological background, is quite surprising.

Surely God might despise abortion, regardless of what any country's law might allow. Right, Pop?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Stone-

Okay, if you'd like to replace the word "sovereignty" with "complete property rights" or "control" in all of my posts in this thread, I have no problem with that. (Since "sovereignty over one's body", as opposed to "sovereignty" as applied to a nation or political entity, is the sense in which I'm using the word in the context of this topic.)

But no one has yet answered my question - does the banning of all forms of birth control, except maybe for the rhythm method sanctioned by the Catholic Church, constitute a taking of any "property rights," "sovereignty," or "control" that a woman may have over her own body?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it does.

Of course, I also think that so, too, does the banning of PCP.

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's banned???

Uh oh...
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-06-15 04:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think it does.

Of course, I also think that so, too, does the banning of PCP.

:thumbsup:
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

If I am not mistaken, a man's property rights over his own children, under Roman law, included the right to have any child of his put to death, even after that child had reached adulthood. Does our law, which forbids the murder of one's children, constitute a taking of property away from every father?

At what point do a woman's property rights over a developing fetus diminish or disappear in favor of her offspring's rights? At birth? At the quickening?

What about those laws which expressly permit a physician to kill a living, delivered infant who was intended to be aborted, but who managed to emerge from the birth canal alive?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "We are someone else's property." (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL