The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Doug Henning Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
That was one of the most entertaining/amazing chop cup routines I've ever seen.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jennings published it, but it was, in fact, Ron Wilson's routine with Bob Stencel's under silk load.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5137 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Some wonderful subtleties going on. I love the way he plops the shot glass down as hard as he does the cup...just proving everything is business as usual.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of lynnef
This was very sweet to watch! thank you Mr Biro. I'd never thought about a load under silk; even though Larry Jennings routine uses the ball thru silk into the glass, etc. I loved the whole episode and not just the chop cup! Doug Henning was a great magician. Lynn
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Is his chop cup routine in "Uncanny Scott"?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It is indeed.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3387 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 23:04, Pete Biro wrote:
Doug's chief adviser, Charles Reynold's one tole me, "Douglas really believes there is a Unicorn in his garden."

That was always the off putting thing about Doug. At least to me anyway.

JMHO (Everybody's got one!)
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2013-03-01 14:59, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-06-23 23:04, Pete Biro wrote:
Doug's chief adviser, Charles Reynold's one tole me, "Douglas really believes there is a Unicorn in his garden."

That was always the off putting thing about Doug. At least to me anyway.

Isn't that funny, I always found it his most endearing feature.
It places him far above the current crop of phonies and crybabies doing anything and everything to try and get (or stay) on cable TV, most of it having nothing to do with magic, and everything to do with TV production.

Doug did straight-edge magic, and did it because he believed that performing good magic, presented in context for laymen was an extremely honorable undertaking.

That Doug believed as well that there may be more to life than just waking up every morning added to his charm, and it was a charm that he rarely (if ever) shared in detail during his performing days. That he choose to share it after he left magic was simply a right we all have to believe whatever we choose to believe.

Doug, along with only a few others, remains one of magics true gems, a one-of-a-kind that took magic to heights it had never even come close to.

Doug's time was the best of times for magic.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3387 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Like I said, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Doug Henning's sense of wonder shone through, and I don't think you could fake that. His skill level was exceptional, aand I know you can't fake that. His unicorn may have been tending some very special plants in his back garden, however.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8167 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I knew Doug since his first Abbott GTG. Met him outside the M&M on Wednesday morning. He had a sleeping bag under his arm and a toothbrush in his shirt pocket! I said, "Hello, Denny Loomis told me about you." Then the 'stock ?' GTG question: "When did ya get in? Where ya stayin'?

He smiled and looked down at the sleeping bag. (Many of the young kids camped out in the city park for economic reasons.) I said, "Rain is predicted this afternoon and all night. Chet and I have a large room at the White Swan. We'll have the manager install a rollaway cot. You're welcome, come and be our guest!" He was happy to accept. For years after, we all stayed at the Conklin "YMCA/YWCA" Karrell, Wayne, Gene, Denny, Ken & Roberta, Anne, Doug, and I.

Doug and I were friends until he left us (too soon). He sent me a great picture of him (with short hair!)at about 16, doing the Super X. The other memento is a 'SHOE SHOE' token! Only a few of 'those present' will remember that!

My fondest remembrance of him working, was his first TV Special. He had Bill Cosby as a guest and he did the Gen Grant "50/50 C/R rope". We had a big group in the "Jay Marshall Theatre" to watch it. A lot of the guys were flabbergasted by the rope cut.

I think he really did have a unicorn! (It was just a little one.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Douglas and I became friends early on. I have an autographed poster of his "The Magic Show" on my wall. I was privileged to be his photographer on many of his TV shows. Especially fun, when after the show, we would all watch a tape replay. That was some fun to see his reaction.

When I was booking the IBM shows I called and asked him if he would do the whole second half of our final night show. He (after I gave him my budget) said "YES."
He killed and it was the first time he did Origami....
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Thanks for sharing Pete. I remember seeing "The Magic Show" as a kid. It was my first big Broadway show and Doug was a huge influence in my passion for magic.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2115 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I believe that Don Alan was responsible for the "shorty" style of Chop Cup that became popular. I was told that he started to work with one of the taller cups. (Possibly from Ken Brooke.) However, he couldn't fit it into his close-up case with all of his other stuff. So, he took a hacksaw and cut it down, filing the edges to make it smooth. He became very popular among other magicians and they wanted that stubby cup. I believe it was Danny Dew who first started to make cups that size.

To Dick Oslund,
The list of names you mention as staying at the home of Jerry and Shirley Conklin leaves me with a couple of questions. While Karrell and Lynn Fox stayed there once or twice, I believe they had their little trailer in the back yard and slept out there. Gene Anderson did start staying there, but not until he moved to Michigan in 1970. I don't recall Ken and Roberta Griffin staying there... but possibly I'm wrong. You didn't mention Jim Robertson who was a regular, and that in later years Doug brought his girlfriend Mars along. And, I don't recall who "Wayne" or "Anne" were. I have a picture of the gang on the front yard of Jerry's house and Bob Mason was in it, but I'm not sure that he was ever a guest. Probably he had just stopped by to visit the day we took the picture.

What wonderful times we had in that Conklin House, and how much we learned from each other. Gene Anderson taught Doug and I the Newspaper Tear in Jerry's living room, and you taught Doug the Steeplechase coin roll, which he used in one of his specials.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The most fun I had was sharing space in someone's home with Pat Page and Mike Caldwell. Pat sat on one of the beds and it collapsed. Caldwell said, "You know who they'll blame! (Pat weighed maybe 120 lbs, Mike 230). Neither were blamed as I found a HUGE stack of National Geo magazines and put them under the bed, to hold it up. I always wondered if they ever found out. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Doug Henning Chop Cup (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL