The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » "A Woman's Place is in the Box" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I can't believe one of my magician friends wrote this to me. Even some of my gay magician friends refuse to consider anyone but a woman as the assistant. It's 2012. This boggles my mind.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
These are the same type of people that will put down others to make them feel better about themselves. If you can convince yourself that a ‘women’s place is in a box’ you’ve successful eliminated half the competition…in your mind.

It has nothing to do with it being 2012, there have always been and always will be these types of insecure individuals.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Matthew and I run into this issue all of the time. He works really hard to let everyone know that even though I am his mom, I am a professional magician who taught him the art.

Invariably people still think I am his assistant, and it irks him and I both. It irritates me because I was a professional magician before I had Matthew and it irks him because if he were to have an assistant, he would much prefer a beautiful young lady much closer to his age.

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1733 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On 2012-06-19 11:09, Ken Northridge wrote:
These are the same type of people that will put down others to make them feel better about themselves. If you can convince yourself that a ‘women’s place is in a box’ you’ve successful eliminated half the competition…in your mind.

It has nothing to do with it being 2012, there have always been and always will be these types of insecure individuals.

Well Said !
thatmatt
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of thatmatt
Oh, I was not aware there was so much misogyny in the magic world... People who say that a woman's place is in the box are quite ignorant and clearly have never seen any of the great female magicians perform. When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to see women perform some amazing magic shows. They even had a couple of tricks created by themselves.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I must say these feelings seem rare.

I've had a few Men say things that were meant as compliments that fell weirdly short but these were compliments.

I have generally found Men to be open and very helpful to me as a Magician.

There are some Women who don't like Men Nurses but they are exceptions too.

I've made foolish assumptions, like assume that the non-hispanic white guy in a yard crew was the boss. It was dumb but I didn't mean any harm by it.

I did a Show with 3 male Magicians as guests to watch my show (who came in during my set up) one time. We were all in the room where the show would be held and I had started setting my show. The poor Woman Client greeted all three Men in a row as the Magician before she got to me (I couldn't get a word in). In fact we were all Magicians. It did show who looked the most iconically "Magical" in ascending order. We ALL laughed!

-Mary Mowder
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Actually historically, men were also used in the victorian era as box jumpers. Womans corsets and bustles werent easy to fit into stage illusions. Nowadays I know that attitude is there. When I ran Raven Magic, I was always getting overlooked by buyers and dealers when we met in person. At conventions, I could not get some dealers to demo effects for me. Its their loss at the end of the day
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
Let's keep truckin' folk...who cares ?! Let's do the magic...Why care? Have a rule of thumb - 1/3rd of the world loves you 1/3rd hates you and 1/3rd has never heard of you.
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
There is a huge advantage to being a woman in Magic. We stand out and get noticed far more than the guys.There are fewer of us so our names and acts get noticed more. It makes going to conventions fun because the guys make an effort to chat to us.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1611 Posts

Profile of randirain
This coming from people that think women in boxes is still entertaining.

It's not. People are not fooled. It's lame.
edhagins
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of edhagins
Can anyone direct me to purchase a copy of "Women in Boxes"?
I have been to the website and it has no working link to purchase.
Alexanderia_the_Great
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Alexanderia_the_Great
Origin of the phrase "rule of thumb". The 'rule of thumb' has been said to derive from the belief that English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb. Sick huh?
WagsterMagicGirl
View Profile
New user
Myrtle Beach, SC
2 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagicGirl
Hey Ed,
Here's a link for the dvd on Steven's Magic Emporium. It's worth every penny!
http://www.stevensmagic.com/product/othe......1968.htm
Hannah Lynne
The Magic of Brandon Wagster
www.wagstermagic.com
Nicholas Night
View Profile
New user
Lansing Mi
93 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Night
Frankly, if I had an consistent assistant instead of relying on volenteers, I wouldn't stray from the 'beautiful assistant.'
And it's not because I don't think females can perform magic. To a degree the assistant IS performing magic. It's just that I don't see a male as an assistant doing well.
'Sawing the man in half'? Who would want to watch that? Also, to those that say women in boxes is no good anymore, check out penn and tellers version of a woman sawed in half. It's a good show.

So I guess what I'm saying, I don't think most people think females can't do magic, just it's rare and they don't think of it. What I DO THINK is that most people will agree that a male makes a poor 'assistant.' Much better off doing a double act at that point in my opinion. (No reason you can't have a male female double act either I suppose.)
edhagins
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of edhagins
Hannah,
Thanks for the link. I ordered today.
edhagins
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of edhagins
I received my copy of Women in Boxes a couple of weeks ago.. I finally found time to sit and take it all in. What a great movie. Enlighting, educational, informative. And a fun watch. It will become a loaner to all my magician friends.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
FYI, Amazon has Women in Boxes in it's streaming options. It is free for PRIME users.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Hi, I have a great plot for a male magician--
He could act like a close-minded guy and say women should be in my boxes.
Then, his assistant, escapes, ties him up, and puts him in the box, performing an illusion with a surprise ending.
EVERYONE WOULD LOVE IT! Think of the attention it would get if it was done half right!
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Quote:
On 2013-05-03 20:14, vampiro wrote:
Hi, I have a great plot for a male magician--
He could act like a close-minded guy and say women should be in my boxes.
Then, his assistant, escapes, ties him up, and puts him in the box, performing an illusion with a surprise ending.
EVERYONE WOULD LOVE IT! Think of the attention it would get if it was done half right!

The best version of metamorphosis ever seen.
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
114 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
In my opinion some of the most beautiful magic I've seen has been done by a female. Watching a female magician perform is amazing, way more gracefull then a man. Unfortunately it's more rare to see a good female magician. I do think it would be unusual to see a femal magician with a male assistant. At that point I would rather it be a partnership. Overall I disagree that a females postion is in a box.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » "A Woman's Place is in the Box" (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL