The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routine for a Scout group (Guides etc.) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
Well I've been trying to get more performing experience and I was thinking of calling my local scout or guide group and offering to do a bit of magic. But I wanted to check if you guys thought this was a good routine for that type of situation (I would try to make it close-up). Begin with Chigago opener followed by an effect where a suit if chosen and I predict the order that those cards will appear in. Next up is "Twisting
the aces" and a little comedy effect where I appear to go wrong. And the closers would be a triumph effect and Brainwave.

I am a little worried this is too much card magic but I think the tricks go well together. Thoughts anyone? Smile
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Scouts are into rope. And I saw an ad for a Scout magic book somewhere. You might even get a badge for magic, you can see what that entails.

No, I checked, no merit badges for magic.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm not sure about some of the card effects you've chosen, it might depend on the ages of the kids. I would agree that rope magic might be one possibility. Perhaps John Kaplans Killer Cut done with a scout bandana. Dan Harlan has a neat matrix done to a horror theme, with the cards standing in as tents. It's on one of his DVDs and on the WGM Matrix DVD I believe. What ever you do make it fun.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I’m a Scout Master, and can tell you that the boys (any age) love magic, and yes, ropes are cool. I’ve done the Professor’s Nightmare several times, as well as different variations of cut and restored ropes.

If they’re very active, cards might not play as well as some other things. I’ve used the Yellow Bandanna (it doesn’t ever seem to get old), and the topsy turvy Arrow (don’t remember the “proper” name). I even bought some extra neckerchiefs (Cub Scouts use four different ones at different ranks) to make a set of “Twentieth Century Neckerchiefs”.

Basically show them something visual, ideally with something they’re already familiar with.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
Thanks for the replies. Just thought I would add, this would be for the older scout or guide group (10-14). Professor's nightmare sounds like an idea.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I would agree that magic that's fun and visual is the way to go.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routine for a Scout group (Guides etc.) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL