The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gatorboard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I was looking through some issues of GENII and a material called Gatorboard was mentioned for the building of some illusions. Has anyone ever used this before? What are some good uses for it?

Micheal Leath
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Gatorboard is an extremely durable type of foamcore. Where foamcore is easily dinged up, Gatorboard has laminated faces and holds up much better.

The advantages of Gatorboard are that it is reasonably light and durable. The disadvantage is that it is costly. A quick check found a 4' x 8' sheet selling for about $39 - similar to the cost of a sheet of 1/4" birch plywood, which would be far more durable.

It would depend on your use as to whether gatorboard is worth it or not.
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
The problem you might run into is that the Gatorboard will not provide the structural strength necessary. Since it still needs to be painted there is also no real advantage there. The cost is the other real problem.
altoni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of altoni
I’ve been looking for durable material to make a small illusion. I’ll have to look into Gatorboard.

Thanks for bring it up.

Al
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
One advantage to many of the foam cored boards now use in the graphic arts area is that they are light in weight, and most can be very easily worked with hand tools. That being said, Gator board will be workable with hand tools, but the edges can be sharp-like really big papercut sharp! and it will work better with some of the hand power tools.

Remember they were developed for graphic artists, so they take paints really well wtihout lots of basecoats or sealers before you ever get to the actual color paint. They are light in weight, and you can make things with them that look pretty.

If you need toughness, or knock around ability, then go wtih the light plywoods, and consider a veneer or surface of the board they use on gator surface-(gah! canot recall the name, but there is a synthetic artboard available-in black, neutral gray and white. (I get mine at the local art store). Use it as a ready to paint surface glued into place with spray adhesive and edge trim! Just a thought.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gatorboard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL