The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instructional DVD shot in 3D - would you be interested? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Andrew Csirmaz
Dear Café addicts,

I am fortunate enough, to have the opportunity of shooting a DVD in 3D. As far as I know, nobody has ever done such a project before, and I would like to know, if you would be interested in buying a 3D instructional DVD instead of a 2D one. Of course the DVD will be available in 2D too, so you'll have the opportunity of choosing this version, but I'd love to do a 3D version too, so those who have the necessary TV at home, can enjoy the 3D extravaganza Smile

Every input is much appreciated, so please don't hold your opinion back Smile

Thank you!
Andrew
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Film in 3D already give me headeache, so for me the answer is no thank you -)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Yeah, I don't really see any advantage to shooting an instructional magic video in 3-D. Don't see how it would enhance learning.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1939 Posts

Profile of ted french
It would be funny.
P3
practice practice perform.
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-21 09:15, Cameron Francis wrote:
Yeah, I don't really see any advantage to shooting an instructional magic video in 3-D. Don't see how it would enhance learning.

I think the main reason for shooting in 3D would be the aesthetic aspect. The location is stunning in my opinion, and besides being a learning tool, it would also be a curiosity. But who knows, for some maybe seeing a move done in 3D helps better understanding it. Since nobody did it before, we can't know for sure Smile
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Personally I wouldn't buy it in 3D. I'm sure there are some people that would, but very few have 3D TV's right now so not many could watch it in 3D.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
**** no.

A novelty, but one that would be annoying and distracting, and hard on the eyes, making learning more difficult.
Although you could have fun with it.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-21 09:43, gdw wrote:
**** no.

A novelty, but one that would be annoying and distracting, and hard on the eyes, making learning more difficult.
Although you could have fun with it.

:D
I would shoot it exactly for the "fun-factor"! Also because it would look bad***, I believe.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, but as I said, it would likely take away too much from the main purpose of such a DVD, the teaching. Have you considered 3D segments? "Put your glasses on now" type of thing? Maybe just the performances. You could also make the 2D version have optional red-green style 3D with provided glasses.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Doesn't it depend on the content? Are you going to be throwing things at the person learning. I thought the whole idea of 3D was feature of objects, hands, and such coming at the person.

Go ahead and spend your time making one for your own enjoyment. If then you stand up and scream and duck at it, then go from there.

Personally, I have eye astigmatism, so 3D does not work for me.
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-21 11:13, gdw wrote:
Have you considered 3D segments? "Put your glasses on now" type of thing? Maybe just the performances.

Definitely! I don't know much about the technical aspect of such a project yet, but those who'll shoot it do. So now I'll do my much needed homework and learn a lot about 3D Smile If it is possible to mix the teaching part in 2D with the performances in 3D, then I'll consider doing that as well. You have to know, that this project is at a very early stage, but I'm curious, what you think about it, so here I am, asking. Smile
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3100 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I am one of the 16 people who own a 3D TV. Smile
When I first got it, I watched a full movie, Avatar, in 3 sittings, as it is hard on the noggin.

Now I only engage the 3D mode when people are over and say "oh, you have a 3D TV, what's that like?"
Then I give them a 5 minute demo (Avatar) and we move on to other stuff.
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
I have a 3d tv and love it. It doesn't give me any negative side effects but I don't think it would be cool watching a magic video in 3d since the main effects of 3d images happen for things flying/popping/shooting out of the screen. Just my .02 but good luck!
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
923 Posts

Profile of Martino
No!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-21 12:30, Martino wrote:
No!

Wow, that was brief Smile May I know why not?
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I own a 3D TV too and I would love it!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 11:31, wmhegbli wrote:
Doesn't it depend on the content? Are you going to be throwing things at the person learning. I thought the whole idea of 3D was feature of objects, hands, and such coming at the person.

Go ahead and spend your time making one for your own enjoyment. If then you stand up and scream and duck at it, then go from there.

Personally, I have eye astigmatism, so 3D does not work for me.

That's certainly not the best use of 3D. That's like learning lapping, and then doing every single effect in your act via lapping. That's not to say there aren't those who can make an incredible act doing something like that, but the likes of Slydini are rare.

3D can be used to better immerse the audience in a movie, among other things. It's a tool, like any other.

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Do it. Sometimes being the very first is worth a nickel.

Bragging rights, and all that.

Go for it.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-21 13:13, gdw wrote:
3D can be used to better immerse the audience in a movie, among other things. It's a tool, like any other.

Quote:
On 2012-06-21 14:17, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Do it. Sometimes being the very first is worth a nickel.

Bragging rights, and all that.

Go for it.

These sound quite cool Smile A few more encouraging comments and I will go for it for sure, even though it still feels risky.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I like GDW's idea of having 3D "segments," such as the performances.

Alternately, if there's enough space on the DVD, maybe you could include identical content in both 2D and 3D formats, as selected via the menu. If there isn't enough room on a single disc, then maybe put two discs in the box, one in each format.

If you sell the the 2D and 3D discs separately, you may find you have unsold inventory of one or the other. It would be hard to guess how many to print of each, I'd imagine, since this project is a bit of a first. Really doubt that anyone other than die-hard collectors would purchase both.

Assuming this will be viewable on a regular HDTV with special lenses, it would be nice to have two sets of lenses in the box, in case one gets lost/worn out/destroyed, etc.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instructional DVD shot in 3D - would you be interested? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL