The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instructional DVD shot in 3D - would you be interested? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Andrew Csirmaz
Quote:
On 2012-06-21 19:00, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
I like GDW's idea of having 3D "segments," such as the performances.

Alternately, if there's enough space on the DVD, maybe you could include identical content in both 2D and 3D formats, as selected via the menu. If there isn't enough room on a single disc, then maybe put two discs in the box, one in each format.

If you sell the the 2D and 3D discs separately, you may find you have unsold inventory of one or the other. It would be hard to guess how many to print of each, I'd imagine, since this project is a bit of a first. Really doubt that anyone other than die-hard collectors would purchase both.

Assuming this will be viewable on a regular HDTV with special lenses, it would be nice to have two sets of lenses in the box, in case one gets lost/worn out/destroyed, etc.

These are very nice and valid suggestions, thank you!
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Just what we need, something else to bring on a headache!
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
249 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
I don't know that it would add anything to the learning experence, I assume the price of the DVD would reflect the extra costs involved in filming in 3D?
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
The only advantage I could see is if it could give you an idea about the angle restrictions of an effect.
I suspect that information can not be gleaned from a 3D video, however.

Also, I have to say I hate wearing my 3D glasses. I've got a fairly early Panasonic model so they're heavy and particularly uncomfortable when worn over regular glasses.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Went to Best Buy last weekend with my son and checked out one of the new LG 3D TV's. Have to say it was the absolute best 3D experience I've ever had. Been a fan of 3D since the early 1970's, when the art houses were showing periodic rereleases of the old 3D movies (Creature from the Black Lagoon, House of Wax, etc.) Too bad the TV was $1,800. Once the price point gets to half of that, I'll definitely be interested. Unlike at the movie theaters, the close up experience actually seems like real 3D. I was reaching out and trying to touch a tortilla chip flying through the air in the Yogi Bear BluRay video. So yes, I'll be interested (eventually...) in anything filmed in BluRay 3D, magic or not.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Well. If you want to watch the video while practicing along it may be confusing looking through the glasses on the screen and then on your hands. Smile
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1744 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Last week I went to the cinema to see Prometheus, and when we got there it was in 3d and I thought, "oh cool - an alien movie, in space, in 3D: that'll look great!" and happily parted with the extra cash. I cannot imagine happily parting with hard-earned in order to see some dude tearing and restoring something in 3D. As it is, half the time I think the explanations on DVDs would be better in magazines anyway...

3D brings nothing to the magical instruction party.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Will this be available in both 3D and smell-a-vision? There's just something about the aroma of silver dollars in a 3-fly routine!
Andrew Csirmaz
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Andrew Csirmaz
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 19:07, Zombie Magic wrote:
Will this be available in both 3D and smell-a-vision? There's just something about the aroma of silver dollars in a 3-fly routine!

You got me thinking.. I should somehow include the amazing smell of burnt flash paper and worn out cards, touched by the spectators way too many times.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5919 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Watching 3D on a Television set:-

3D with glasses (of any kind) - NO

3D Autostereoscopic (i.e. 3D without glasses) - OK

3D Magic video (with or without glasses) - NO

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7027 Posts

Profile of bowers
I'm out too.
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
Dude GO FOR IT! INTERESTED!

Contrary to what many members are saying here, 3D technology is evolving and it isn't just all bell and whistles. There are beneficial learning outcomes from 3D virtual environments. I suggest you research "3D Learning Environments" at a University library and you will find support and techniques for your project. Don't let the Café criticism hold you back! The naive criticism from the members reminds me of a quote from Henry Ford (although it's being debated) "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

Cheers,
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Nothing really new here: my books (hint, hint!) are already produced in 3D. Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
If the 3D DVD is more expensive then the 2D version no thank you. But it all depends on the effect(s) you're putting on the disc of course.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instructional DVD shot in 3D - would you be interested? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL