The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Compliments You've Ever Received (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
The best compliment I've ever received wasn't verbal.

It was my first real public show, our highschool talent show. I was doing a match to flower as an opener.

I entered in my tux, proceeded to the table, took the match out of the box and struck it... and it didn't light.
Tried it again, didn't light
Tried it again, didn't light.. now the audience was starting to titter.

Stuck it one last time... and it lit, finally. I lit the candle and blew it out and it blossomed.

And the audience gasped.

The rest of the show I had them in the palm of my hand, and that gasp was the best compliment I've ever received as a magician.

A learned something important about magic that night. Its not the effect, its the drama. A little effect can be enormous if presented just right.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Best compliments that I have received: "You are pretty good with those cards." and The Best: "F*** You!!!"

Is it just me or do you take nasty comments as a compliment? Maybe I'm mental.
Heart full of Rock 'n' Roll and Magic.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.kervinen.1
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2012-06-24 14:40, EXTREMENINJA1 wrote:
Does one girl screaming "Holy ****" count? I was not expecting that :O

Yes!
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I have to agree with the hugs from the kids after the show. Also, the amazed gasp of the kids when the snowstorm starts coming out of my hand right over their heads and they start giggling, jumping up and down and cheering.

For that matter, anytime someone gasps in amazement, that is a huge compliment to me. That's what got me interested in magic in the first place; my own amazement. If I can pass that on to someone else, just give them a quick trip back to their childhood when everything seemed new and amazing, then I feel I am accomplishing what I set out to do as a magician.

Recently I got what I thought was a cool idea for a reveal of the Mexican coin that vanishes in S&S. I thought I'd try it out and the first person I showed, a friend that knows I do magic, his reaction was one of the best I've ever had. He just said in a quiet voice, "Oh my God..."

Then I showed another girl and for both parts of the effect she started shrieking, "What just happened?!! What just happened?!!" That was really fun! Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 03:12, Preston68 wrote:
For that matter, anytime someone gasps in amazement, that is a huge compliment to me. That's what got me interested in magic in the first place; my own amazement. If I can pass that on to someone else, just give them a quick trip back to their childhood when everything seemed new and amazing, then I feel I am accomplishing what I set out to do as a magician.

Beatiful writing.

Caz
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Caz
Quote:
On 2013-06-10 16:30, Jesse K wrote:
Best compliments that I have received: "You are pretty good with those cards." and The Best: "F*** You!!!"

Certain "nasty" comments should be considered as some of the best compliments one can have.
If they come straight from the heart and as a result of astonishment, that is.
Jesse K
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
133 Posts

Profile of Jesse K
Quote:
On 2013-06-11 18:15, Caz wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-10 16:30, Jesse K wrote:

Certain "nasty" comments should be considered as some of the best compliments one can have.
If they come straight from the heart and as a result of astonishment, that is.

Why I didn't thought of that point before asking? Smile

Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the kind words Jesse.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
When I was bartending in the mid 70's, I had a guy offer me $100 (a lot of money then) to show him how to do a trick. I can't think of the name of it right now but it's in Bobo and a penny changes to a half dollar & back to a penny with hands clean at the end. He seemed to think if I just told him how he could be doing it tomorrow! When I explained to him it would take at least months for him to learn he withdrew the offer. ;-)
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
My best 1 was when I produced a quarter from a dollar. The reaction was an absence of an reaction. They just looked at me haha
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
The usual, your better tan (insert tv magician here ) which while making you feel good, is of course not true
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-30 20:25, george1953 wrote:
The usual, your better tan (insert tv magician here ) which while making you feel good, is of course not true

Not all tv magicians are better than us everyday magicians
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
On more than one occasion, I have noticed women who react with obvious arousal at the end of an effect. And I've seen other magicians get the same reaction from women. Nothing suggestive has to be said or done. There is just something primal about creating the impossible.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
lambretta1963
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of lambretta1963
Best I've had is "I have seen a couple of those tricks before, but you made me laugh."
I think it was a compliment !
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I had a woman run away after doing the sponge ball trick. She was screaming. She still had my sponges in her hand, and I never get them back XD

After a girl stared open-jawed at her hand for a solid minute, saying nothing, she ran to the bathroom to "wash the magic off my hands".
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
My other post was what I consider to be a subtle sign that I have created an effect on a primal level, but not a true compliment.
Here's a compliment: Upon beginning the sponge balls while table hopping a young lady said, "I've already seen it. My uncle _________ does that one. In fact you can't do a trick I haven't seen!" Turns out I know her uncle quite well. I said, "Well, I do it differently. How about I show you my version and you tell me if it's any good?" After doing the routine I asked her, "So, what do you think?" She said, "Wow! That was different. You do it better than uncle _______ and I couldn't figure out how you did it either!" Not bragging here, but she's right and wrong. My routine is a lot better and we use exactly the same moves, pretty much.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
InstantMagicBen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of InstantMagicBen
'Your like David Blaine'

Still the best thing I can hear or imagine from anyone!
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Just heard this from someone. Wasn't about magic, though, but about something I wrote.

"Continue to share your with others, it might just change their life..."
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-01 15:57, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
I had a woman run away after doing the sponge ball trick. She was screaming. She still had my sponges in her hand, and I never get them back XD

After a girl stared open-jawed at her hand for a solid minute, saying nothing, she ran to the bathroom to "wash the magic off my hands".

Hahahaha I really needed that 1 thanks.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The best compliment I ever received was a $50 tip.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Compliments You've Ever Received (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL