The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Videos on how to be a better speaker / performer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I didn't really know where to put this, but does anyone know of any videos that lecture about how to be a better speaker in general. it does not have to be a magic video, but just how to be a well rounded out public speaker in general?
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Derek

Can't assist with video advice my friend, but there is a book aptly titled, "Presenting Magically" - (though nothing to do with magic!) by Tad James and David Shephard. (2001)

It's subtitled "Transforming your stage presence with NLP."

Don't be put off by the NLP in the title if you are a non-believer. Sure there is some NLP BS in the book but only very little. By and large, there's some good stuff between the covers with advice on creating rapport, non verbal communication, using language and the five senses and a whole lot more.

Again, in book form and specifically on our art, Darwin Ortiz's "Strong Magic" has to be a contender. David Stone's "Close Up - The REAL secrets of magic" (2005) covers a multitude of sins for the performer.

Jay Sankey's, "Beyond Secrets" does also, to a lesser degree.

AND, another 'of course' tome is the legendary "Magic and Showmanship - A handbook for conjurers" (1969) by Henning Nelms. A bit dated but contains valuable advice.

Judy Carter's books, "Stand-up Comedy" and, "The Comedy Bible" may have some use, thought are more specifically aimed at the comedic performer.

Hope this helps.

Roger
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Books on acting by Uta Hagen and Stanislavski (and one on playwrighting: the Playwright's guidebook) might help you. It will help you to create a character as well, you need one.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I have a good friend who is a magician in Orange County who swears by . . . joining Toastmasters.

Not a video, of course, but you'll be making speeches all the time and watching countless others making speeches. He's found it invaluable.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Hi Derek,

I've always found the Expert Village videos to be good (http://www.youtube.com/user/expertvillage/). They have quite a few videos on public speaking.

Watching good presenters also helps. TED.com is an invaluable source for this.

Hope this helps,

Marty
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Quote:
On 2012-06-25 08:07, S2000magician wrote:
I have a good friend who is a magician in Orange County who swears by . . . joining Toastmasters.

Not a video, of course, but you'll be making speeches all the time and watching countless others making speeches. He's found it invaluable.

Add me to that list, Toastmasters is the choice. You learn more by doing than watching videos.

Gil Scott
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Another magician friend of mine was just talking about toastmasters yesterday. that may be something that I will be looking into.

thanks for all the replies!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a good book worth reading: "The Power of Approachability"
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Read any book on public speaking, you could even audit a community collage public speaking class.
every magi should go through a public speaking class and learn to stop their ummm and awes while talking.
hearing someone constantly say umm and awe while speaking or speaching gets extremely annoying and is completely unpro.

ex
Hi
ummmm I'm ummm a Magician, awe I would like to umm do a awe umm something ummm for you here, umm uhhh it a uhhh ol mystery

yes this is how most of you talk.
just listen to yourselves give a speech.
so much proof on youtube
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I was in Toastmasters for many years. It is a good organization, but you will only get out of it as much as you put into it. Also, it isn't a quick-change program. The main benefit is regular public speaking opportunities in front skilled evaluators. For the long haul, it is a good idea.

For quicker results, community college courses or maybe other personal development courses could help. All of that depends on where you live.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Videos on how to be a better speaker / performer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL