The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Let's get started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
If I were to perform.... say on a cinema, with a fairly decent (large) stage, what's a good illusion to start the show off with? Smile

cuz there's this lovely theater from where I live in and in case me...... or my magician friend gets hired to do a show there, I'd like to know some suggestions on openers. also, ones that aren't *too* angle sensitive since it's a cinema and the stage doesn't run "too deep".

otherwise, a list of other illusions that *can* be done inside a classy cinema Smile

thanks! just don't give away the method or where to get it, just describe the name and/or effect.

thanks!

Smile Smile

Also, I'll just let y'all in advance, the METAMORPHOSIS (standard sub-trunk) can't be done in that theater. unless of course I was taping a tv special and hired plants......

I want illusions that are ... beautiful but can be done in a setting as intimate as a... (duh!) cinema.

Smile
Smile

Smile

Smile
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
141 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
Why couldn't the metamorphosis be done in this setting?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I work mostly on portable stages in hotels so the space is pretty tight and people are generally pretty close to me. I use a portable backdrop to cover the back angle and these are the illusions I use regularly (or intend to use): Blammo Box, Zig Zag, Metamorphosis, Harbin Chair Suspension (not one of the inexpensive models!), Head Chopper, Tubed Out (Mini Kub Zag is better but I don't have one), Broom Suspension and Ring Illusion.

Michael
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5816 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
David,

Why the interest in doing an illusion show rather than a parlor show? And, yes, whim is a valid answer here.

Cheers,

Tom
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Metamorphosis can't be done cuz there are people at either side of the theater in the deluxe seating. Smile

also, this is just a PLAN. I'm NOT actually gonna do an illusion show at least not for the time being. I'd just like to assume that one day I would have to do an illusion show in that cinema Smile
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
188 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
David

My view is that I always try and present the prodution assistant as the first item in an illusion segment of the show. However, before that I always perform a dove act or a manipulation segment before any box jumping takes place. It establishes your credentials as a skilled magician rather than just the owner of a heap of expensive boxes. This is a very "old school" theory that was practiced by the likes of Dante and Grabel etc, and it still holds true today.

By the way the standard Metamorphosis/Sub Trunk can be done in any performing conditions....?

regards

Scott
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
141 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
David,

are you thinking about doing the metamorphosis ala the Pendragons? If you are thinking about the standard sub-trunk, the curtain goes all the way around the box, covering any angle
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Oh!!!!!!!!! how dumb was i??? I was thinking about pendragons. darn Smile okay, metamorphosis is now officially in my "illusion list" Smile

I might just do it to Seal's KISS FROM A ROSE. and make it more "romantic" in theme.......

just a side note here:

have any of you seen the movie HOUDINI starring Jonathon Schaech? Smile didn't you find it funny that during the audition scene Jonathon and whoever played his brother did the metamorphosis a la pendragons (no cloth surrounding them)
and did that even more in other scenes with very INTIMATE surroundings. Smile
it's funny how filmmakers love to exaggerate things and make things up. Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Let's get started (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL