The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » SENSE AND MEANING from ParaLabs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I'm going to post this in a few spots as I don't want anyone to miss what I think is one of the best books out in a long time. Knowing most mentalists spend most of their time here....

I recently received (as a gift) a copy of the lecture notes that Ranier Mees and Thomas Heine sold after their lecture at PSYCRETS 2012. Calling these lecture notes, or even a booklet, doesn’t do “Sense And Meaning” justice.

97 pages long and obviously a lot of time and expense went into the layout, cover and binding. It is a very nice looking book, in keeping in style with their earlier releases.

Of course a books value shouldn’t be judged by its length or looks but by its content. And as we’ve come to expect from the men from ParaLabs, this is content of the highest quality !

Obviously Ranier and Thomas explore the implications of sense and meaning in mentalism. They share their ideas on creating emotionally vibrant experiences via their “sequences.” Sequence is what most of us would call an effect/trick/experiment/feat but their term is very appealing to me.

Ranier and Thomas know quite a bit about language and how the brain functions and consistently work this knowledge into their sequences. Their applications for applying evidence of a particular kind of brain functioning to selecting the best participant are stunning. This isn’t a linear “are you creative or logical” but something far more subtle.

In their hands, language becomes a method in itself. While there are some similarities this is different from Kenton Kneppers work in this area.

They share their “targets” for presentation which are essentially the themes they apply to each sequence. One sequence might tap into self-awareness, another into astonishment while yet another deals with dismay and consternation.

Don’t worry, your audiences won’t leave dismayed; the target is a means to a positive ending (if that is what you want). Each target is explored in detail including effects that illustrate its theme.

My favorite part of the book is what Ranier and Thomas call ParaLogue and is their opening sequence. Considering they still regularly use this, I’m shocked they were so generous to include it in so much detail.

Obviously I can’t tip it but the impact on the audience is that they are hearing your thoughts in their minds. No props, appropriate for audiences from 1 to 1000 and all the other “bathing suit” clichés are absolutely true here.

ParaLogue is perfect for many venues and purposes. It is a true “mentalistic” opener (as they like to call some of their work) but by no means is resticted to this position. When I read the denouement, I was grinning from ear to ear. It is actually a 2 tiered conclusion, the second taking a powerful and unexpected turn from the first. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Thomas and Ranier!

The Magic Shard Tree is taught in detail. I believe this is in Neal Scryer and Friends as well. I don’t know if there are any differences but readers of that book know the strength and intimacy that Thomas and Ranier evoke in their work.

There is a bonus section titled “Rashomon Readings.” Another brilliant sequence, this time allowing you to incorporate methods we associate with the Hoy Book Test, to reading the minds of audience members.

I don’t want to go on about each and every effect (though I’m pretty close ). The greatest value in Sense And Meaning isn’t the individual effects (as near perfect as they may be) but the ways of thinking Ranier and Thomas teach us.

The unique talents of these two gentlemen has been more and more evident with each item and book they’ve released. Inside Sense And Meaning, everything comes together and provides knowledge and inspiration that we can all benefit from. Bravo, Thomas and Ranier!

Interested US customers can transfer $58.00 via PayPal to hypnosis@paralabs.org with their shipping address included. Sense And Meaning costs $50 and the $8 is what it costs to ship to the US.

For shipping costs from other parts of the world contact Ranier Mees (mees@paralabs.org) or Thomas Heine at (heine@paralabs.org) to make arrangements.

There are only about 50 copies left so don't wait to long if this is something you are interested in!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Sounds interesting!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
That is putting it mildly! I can't wait to have a chance to try out Paralogue after I work it up to suit my particular needs/style. And so much of the rest of the book is applicable to our own performance "sequences" that I find myself obsessively coming back to these ideas.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Thanks so much for this info Bill.

I heard this ParaLabs lecture was the hit of the last Psycrets gathering.
Their work is always of the next level.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It was a fantastic lecture... well structured, very well delivered and explained, and we had some interesting conversations out of it too..the contents of these notes are highly thought-provoking and very usable...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I, too, have read these notes as Thomas and Ranier kindly sent me a copy as a birthday present.

It was the best present I have received in quite some time (other than the bag of weed I got from my neighbor).

Outstanding ideas for making your performances seem authentic. And some tests that are as interesting from a performer's standpoint as they are to audiences.

Good thoughts,

Bob
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I join Bill, Iain and Bob in endorsing these notes...attending the lecture and reading these notes is so refreshing. Thomas and Rainer have shown how mentalism has matured; incredible insights, thoughts, frames, and concepts to work with...this is a true gem!

Todd
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Thank you all so much for your appreciation - this means a lot to us! Smile

It was a pleasure for us to lecture in London and it was a pleasure for us as well to compose the 'Sense and Meaning' book in honor of this occasion.

Hopefully the remaining copies can offer some food for thought for interested colleagues.

If there are any further questions - content-wise or referring to any other topic - feel free to drop us a line ( heine@paralabs.org or mees@paralabs.org ).

Cheers
Th.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Hi Thomas please save one copy for me I am now on cruise ship working until septembef and I cant purchase anything Smile thanks
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Done, mate! Smile
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2012-06-28 05:49, lucavolpe wrote:
Hi Thomas please save one copy for me I am now on cruise ship working until septembef and I cant purchase anything Smile thanks

That's one way to survive a global recession Smile
T.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
WHAT!!!!! Smile

There's going to be a recession???

Better order a load of stuff from Alakazam and Outlaw before the money runs out!

steve
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-06-28 08:55, steveline wrote:
WHAT!!!!! Smile

There's going to be a recession???

Better order a load of stuff from Alakazam and Outlaw before the money runs out!

steve

Hmm, I could conceive more valuable alternatives in this case, Steve, ... Smile

Cheers
Th.
Rainer - ParaLabs
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of Rainer - ParaLabs
Hey Guys,

We have received several books that were not sold during the lecture.

So if somebody is interested please drop us a line.

cheers
Rainer
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
My attempt at sarcasm didn't really come over too well I think. Smile

steve
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-01 04:14, steveline wrote:
My attempt at sarcasm didn't really come over too well I think. Smile

Don't worry - you have to consider that I'm just bloody foreigner anyway and limited in my understanding of your linguistic nuances by nature, ... Smile

But let's rather come back to topic, OK?

Cheers mate
Th.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Agreed

Looking forward to reading these lecture notes

steve
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Exciting!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I finally had a chance to use Paralogue yesterday. It was just for two friends and they were completely engaged by the lead in. It would have been enough by itself.

The "finale" of the effect (in two "tiers" as metioned above) left them completely off balance. As they regained their composure they were eager to discuss the new level of awareness they had achieved.

They were truly enthralled and amazed. All this with "nothing" but words!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
New York, New York, so good they named it twice Smile
Sorry guys, got a bit carried away there.

I posted in this topic in the Mentally Section, but I thought I'd put it here as well.
Along with some additional thoughts.

Well, I ordered my set of "lecture notes" last week.
I knew they were a substantial tome, mention had been made of 100 pages or so.

They arrived today.
not what I expected...not by a long way.

I got a BOOK!!!! a real book, with a cover and spine, all bound and printed on nice paper.

I'm used to lecture notes being a load of A4 sheets stapled at the corner.
Or a CD containing a PDF for home printing.

What the Paralabs guys call lecture notes put a lot of other "magic books" (for want of a better term) to shame.

Now I know the content is what really matters, and I've yet to get round to reading them, but the care and attention that Paralabs put into all that they do, shines through and I have no reason to suspect the contents won't be just as carefully crafted.

I put Thomas and Rainer at Paralabs as high as Craig Filicetti at Promystic when it comes to customer care and quality of product.

Now...I'm off to read...don't bother me with anything for a while!

Well I've had time for a short dip into these "lecture notes" now.
First thing to say is the quality of the writing is great. And when you consider that English is not their mother tongue, this is something that deserves pointing out.
I've read things from supposedly English speakers that is littered with faults, not this book.
Those who've purchased any of the other Paralabs stuff will already know this.

And what about the contents?

I've only had time for a brief look, but already I can see there is stuff here that, if implemented, would raise the performance of any mentalist.

Paralogue is a work of brilliance. I can see there will be a lot of people re-working their opening to take Paralogue into account.
Sure fire, attention grabbing, thought provoking and using only words (any language at all in case you were wondering)
The perfect way to get an audience paying attention and eager for more.

The Shard Tree I was familiar with after meeting Thomas and Rainer at a Tabla Mentis meeting.
This is typical of the way these guys think about engaging the audience at every oportunity.
With room to make this "your own" I'm sure there will be many people putting a version of this into use.

I need to read more to give a more in depth review but if asked to sum up the contents, this is what I would say.

"presentations so engaging that effects aren't necessarily necessary"

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » SENSE AND MEANING from ParaLabs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL