The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phil Goldsteins color series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi folks,

Do any of you know how many books are supposed to be in Phil Goldsteinns color series?

The reason I ask is that I ordered mine from a Sydney magic shop and after waiting a short eternity and having my first order sold to one of the proprierters 'mates', I finally received the boxed set and for a pretty penny as well.

Anyway, I was just looking through Ebay and noticed the Violet book of Mentalism for sale! My set does not have the Violet book. Was the violet book an afterthought to the color series or have I been short changed?

Cheers
Billy
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Boxed set? The set never came with a "Box" as far as I know.

Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet make up the set.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Billy;
I thought that the colored series was impossible to get?
If I am wrong, would you be kind enough to give me the address where you got yours?
Sven
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I asked Max about this about a two years ago. He said he only ever printed about 500 copies of each, they were all gone, he had no immediate plans to re-print and that if I wanted to get hold of them I'd have to try scouring eBay or magic forums.

There are five in the set, as truthteller notes.

Either my info is out of date and there have been authorised and legitimate reprints, or your source in Sydney has found some legitimate copies for sale, or your source in Sydney is being naughty. Would be worth finding out. A good first step might be to name your source in Sydney.

Max is here in London on Nov 16th for the 'Another Escape' mind magic one-day convention, so there may be an opportunity to find out more.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
194 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
I don't think you can get it easily from a magic shop anywhere else. I got mine long ago from ebay and I paid a high price for the complete set. Nevertheless, it is worth every single cent. The violet book is the most sought after and most rare. It usually command the highest price on ebay. Without paying at least US$70 for it ( and it is a very very thin booklet!), you cannot get hold of it.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I would like to know about this source too.

Unfortunately general piracy is blatant in our field. Sometimes not half a hair of respect.

I'm glad we have this forum to find out about this sometimes.

I've done my fair share of traveling around the US and the world and I've been shocked at some of the things I've seen. I'm sure some of you will agree.

Let's hope our Sydney pals are legit in selling the "boxed set" without the "Violet" booklet. Christ.

http://www.EyesandMinds.com

Smile
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2839 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I remember a while back, someone offering a boxed set that was a special collector's edition. At the time, I noticed the abscence of the Violet book and wondered about that too.

It also came with one or two other rare Maven manuscripts if I recall correctly. I had the impression that there was only one of these boxed sets available and it was a private sale. It may be on an old thread here as a matter of fact. Does anyone else recall this?

Bill
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Max and I spoke about the color series and the astronomical prices it was receiving on ebay. We also spoke about piracy.

Max's comment, which he has made often, is that one can tell the fakes from the orginals, because the fakes are of a nicer quality. Having said this, I am confident that there was never an official box set from Max. I believe this even more knowing that that color books were released over time.
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
I own the box set called "The Rarities Series" It was a limited edition of 50. I own #16. Included in the set is:

"The blue book of mentalism" (September 1976)
"The red book of mentalism" (March 1977)
"The green book of mentalism (September 1977)
"The yellow book of mentalism (January 1979)
Plus bonus books "Notions" which is violet (January 1978)
and "A transatlantic Lecture" (July 1978).

This set was purchased through a PEA member at one of their meetings.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-10-12 17:27, brownbeauty wrote:
I own the box set called "The Rarities Series" It was a limited edition of 50. I own #16. Included in the set is
"The blue book of mentalism" (September 1976)
"The red book of mentalism" (March 1977)
"The green book of mentalism (September 1977)
"The yellow book of mentalism (January 1979)
Plus bonus books "Notions" which is violet (January 1978)
and "A transatlantic Lecture" (July 1978)
This set was purchased through a PEA member at one of their meetings.

Is "Notions" the Violet book of the color series, or is this something different? Smile
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2839 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks Brownbeauty, that sounds like what I am recalling. What year did you buy it and what year(s) is it copyrighted?

Bll
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
"Notions" is a violet colored book however it is not the "Violet book of Mentalism". Notions has completely different effects.

Rudy
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-10-12 21:02, brownbeauty wrote:
"Notions" is a violet colored book however it is not the "Violet book of Mentalism". Notions has completely different effects.

Rudy

Thanks. That is what I thought, but needed to be sure. Smile
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Quote:
On 2003-10-12 21:02, Bill Cushman wrote:
Thanks Brownbeauty, that sounds like what I am recalling. What year did you buy it and what year(s) is it copyrighted?

Bll

Hello Bill,
I bought the set this year, but I don't know when or if it was copyrighted.

Rudy
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
259 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
There has never been any sort of authorized "boxed set" of my early pamphlets. That someone may have put together a set and sold it is one thing, but the idea that someone was able to assemble fifty "numbered box sets" of legitimate booklets seems virtually impossible, so my assumption would be that bootleg copies are involved.

As to the original print runs, they varied widely. With the Blue Book, for example, there were well over 3,000 published. The 500 figure was specific to the Violet Book, which was published at a time when I was getting tired of the process.
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Quote:
On 2003-10-13 18:26, Max Maven wrote:
There has never been any sort of authorized "boxed set" of my early pamphlets. That someone may have put together a set and sold it is one thing, but the idea that someone was able to assemble fifty "numbered box sets" of legitimate booklets seems virtually impossible, so my assumption would be that bootleg copies are involved.

As to the original print runs, they varied widely. With the Blue Book, for example, there were well over 3,000 published. The 500 figure was specific to the Violet Book, which was published at a time when I was getting tired of the process.

Hello Max,
The set I have includes a single sheet with your caricature on it and it's heading says "The Rarities Series"
Stamped- Limited Edition 16/50

If you like I can give you the PEA member's name that purchased this at a PEA convention.

Rudy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Phil Goldsteins color series (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL