We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Portal from Losander (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
The Portal from Losander just got released or I should say leaked prior to FISM 2012.

This thing is fascinating and bizarre, a picture frame and spirit slate, one unit, that does something very different. I been a fan of Losander's work for a while. Mainly do to the fact of how he thinks in relation to his effect and I like this one because its different from some of his other stuff. You'll see what I am talking about when you see the video. I never seen a picture frame and a spirit slate that's one unit that does that before. Interesting idea. Looks very well made too.

Here is a link if you have a moment check out the video.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?main_page=products_new

Now does anyone know if the picture in the frame can be changed out?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That is cool - there goes more moolah
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Losander is a great guy, his items well built, and he's inventive.
My only problem, is that sometimes (and in this case for certain)
he does the levitation far too long, with too many moves.
Just because you can does not mean you should.

With this method and prop I truly fell "less is more" and much less is even better!
I'd let it very s-l-o-w-l-y rise a few inches, move a bit left/right, then end it.
It would make for a more deceptive and "realistic" and startling piece of magic.

Last, a really strong (short but strong) story would help sell this a lot.
My two-cents at any rate,
Bro. Walt
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4406 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Very nice but too much for my wallet.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Worth saving for.

...I hear ya Walt. However, you may be looking at this from a magician's eye. You know Losander, and what he does...no one, at least whom I've seen, can make an object move so elegantly. And yes, he may go out of his way to work levitations into every routine. However, imagine if you were a layperson and saw this effect for the first time...live...not knowing what Losander is known for. I think you may need a change of undergarments.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
After a table trade in and upgrade to Deluxe,then maby this will get a look in?
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
What I thought was really nice is the revelation isn't a f0rce!

You can also change the image too. Very cool. I'm getting a couple of bits built for some new routines, but this is definitely something I'm considering for the future.

Oh, and you don't have to do the levitation if you don't want to, you could just use the spirit slate side.

I'm wondering how heavy this is. If I got one I most likely wouldn't use the floating gimmick. I would like a heavier, more robust non-floating version...... Ok, now I'm just thinking out loud. Sorry Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4406 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Would so much love to own one of his levitation tables, that would so much do it for me and would not need the formentioned ,as the table looks to do what the Portal does?, ok smaller but the table looks the biz, I would be happy to have one or the otherr though.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've had one of his tables, and they're beautiful. Used it for several years... About 5 or 6, but sold it recently.

They are indeed the biz. And I recommend them, as does everyone else who's ever owned one, highly.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4406 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 01:36, Roslyn wrote:
I've had one of his tables, and they're beautiful. Used it for several years... About 5 or 6, but sold it recently.

They are indeed the biz. And I recommend them, as does everyone else who's ever owned one, highly.

I am always on the look out for a secoundhand one ,but alass they don 't come up for sale that often ,shame.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The tables don't come up very often because they become prize possessions and are treasured by collectors and performing magicians alike. Talk to your wife, Santa, Birthday-fairy, get a reverse mortgage, but get a brand spanking new one in the style you prefer and see what all the fuss is about <grin.> Come on you’ve bought things a lot more expensive than these…

Magically, Walt
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4406 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 12:33, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
The tables don't come up very often because they become prize possessions and are treasured by collectors and performing magicians alike. Talk to your wife, Santa, Birthday-fairy, get a reverse mortgage, but get a brand spanking new one in the style you prefer and see what all the fuss is about <grin.> Come on you’ve bought things a lot more expensive than these…

Magically, Walt

Thanks Walt you do speak a lot of sense there,might sell my boats, never get out in them with this darn English summer,lol.
anton.magician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of anton.magician
Is it hard to make appearing of prediction?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6996 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Portal is no longer at Steven's it appears. You can find it here:

http://www.losander.me/The-Porta

I like it, but $400 is just too much!

Doug
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5544 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Many have said it, but you are the devil Mr. Garland. Thank you for providing us with yet another magical temptation...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1274 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I saw Losander demo The Portal at the Gathering this past weekend. I know he's known for levitations but it really surprised the heck out of me when that thing started to float. It's a great piece and worth every penny. I didn't see the video but I can only imagine he does a lot of moving it around just so you can see the extent of how far you can push this if you want to. During the demo, he made it float for a short time and it seemed perfect.

I can heartily recommend this.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
anton.magician
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of anton.magician
First of all Losander does not know how to pack. I have his portal, first came from the magic shop and was scratched and with broken pieces. Second Losander send to me by himself as an excuse for the first, but it was pack absolutly not good, the perimeter of the frame was near the cardboard and between of it, was nothing, but from up and down was very a lot of polymers for protect and the side of the box was beating. He even didn't wrap the frame in the bubbles protection.
Second of all the frame didn't come with the cloth, that I think it doesn't respect to the customers for such a big price. And one more thing, he update the design of the frame and even didn't notified about that the distributors and for now frame doesn't look aristocratic, elegant and not cool in my opinion.
So I made a conclusion that Losander absolutly doesn't understand how work the mail, didn't give a careful pack of the goods and doesn't even give a good box or case for storage of the Portal, and didn't respect the customers, because it sells without the cloth, for such a big money. And the frame doesn't looks like the collectors items. By the way even Chines has a better packing of their tricks.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1098 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Agreed Firestarter, many effects are terribly out of reach and often overpriced..no wonder there is an upsurge in Chinese knock offs, mostly nothing can be done about this phenomenon.

I really am tired of hearing: "Priced to keep out of the hands of amateurs", "Built from exotic wood - a sure to be collector's item", etc.

Not everything that is purchased should be for the collector, there are working pros in our field where the 'everyday act' is far from collectible.

I am in the unique position to be both a collector ( I have some of the most amazing { and expensive } magic ever made ) but am also a working performer as well as builder. Anything collectible I have is hardly ever used in my standard act.

You gotta love it on Steven's site when the Price: is blank, you have to contact ol' Joe for the selling price..you better put new batteries in the pace maker before the call.

Look, there is a place for everything but I feel for the young kids getting into magic nowadays when they save their paper delivery money up only to find many effects are WAY out of their reach - many times effects are listed $700 - 800 --- and up. Just my thoughts, many will disagree - some agree..so be it, maybe a thread should be open for just this discussion, maybe one already exists.

Chuck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Portal from Losander (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL