The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Liverpool UK, Changes to laws. Petition to protest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Petition signed. These kinds of laws are restrictive and generally unnecessary--and in my view, unconstitutional in the United States.
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
Count me in also.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
While I'm not in the UK, signed. This kind of bureaucratic nonsense must be stopped.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
City BID boss Ged Gibbons says: "These measures will greatly enhance Liverpool's ability to attract the very best buskers and will add a new dimension to the visitors experience...Buskers themselves will benefit from a better regulated process...retailers and shoppers will be delighted the city has finally made this leap."

If I were one of "the very best buskers" (and I'm certainly not) I would stay out of Liverpool just on general principle.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Eric the Excellent
View Profile
Loyal user
Montana
234 Posts

Profile of Eric the Excellent
Hear, hear!

As someone new to busking, it is completely baffling to see just how many are opposed (and often outright hostile) to it.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
True, Eric... I run into that all the time. I don't know if it's a cultural difference between the US and Europe, but I've found that US audiences are either confused and don't know how to react to live entertainment; or as you pointed out, hostile.

Seriously... if I were a scammer or a bum, I wouldn't be dressed in a top hat, bowtie and vest.

I almost spend more time educating audiences than I do performing!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't worry about the audience so much as the suits in City Hall deciding they know best how to "regulate" street performers.
I'm actually in favor of some sort of regulation. But these seem to be very Draconian measures.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 17:07, Eric the Excellent wrote:
Hear, hear!

As someone new to busking, it is completely baffling to see just how many are opposed (and often outright hostile) to it.

I am new to busking and have tried it so yes .....on the other hand there is a tuneless gentleman who sits outside the supermarket who really gets on my tits. He sings and sings and if he hits a note it is by accident. I wouldn't legislate to get rid of him and have signed the petition (after all not everyone will like my act either) but I won't miss him if he leaves.

Danny
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 14:00, ed rhodes wrote:

I'm actually in favor of some sort of regulation. But these seem to be very Draconian measures.

Interestingly one of the big venues in London (UK), Covent Garden has a mix. The main piazza is regulated (I believe you have to audition) but Magician's Corner (on a side street) just off the main square is not. This Liverpool affair seems more of a "we hate Buskers" cash grab however.

Danny
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Stuart
Long time no see.

I have signed the pertition!

What I like to know! are the new RULES or new law?
In other words have they been approved in a Law of court?

If not this is simply a by-law! = A By-law is non-inforcable law!
If it has been approved when?
what is this new Law they have brought in?
What date?
So on so forth, you have a right to ask what, when this law come into play.
If they cant tell you the they CAN NOT inforce it!

My hope is, its just another noninforcable by-law!
Keep on keeping on
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Quote:
On 2012-07-09 19:41, Mario Morris wrote:
Hi Stuart
Long time no see.

I have signed the pertition!

What I like to know! are the new RULES or new law?
In other words have they been approved in a Law of court?

If not this is simply a by-law! = A By-law is non-inforcable law!
If it has been approved when?
what is this new Law they have brought in?
What date?
So on so forth, you have a right to ask what, when this law come into play.
If they cant tell you the they CAN NOT inforce it!

My hope is, its just another noninforcable by-law!
Keep on keeping on

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. I get the impression that these are council by-laws but I could be wrong.

There's a little more here... http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/C......-shut-up

It seem to be referred to as an "edict" and a "code". Whatever that means legally my bet it that it will probably mean more hassle.

To be fair, I haven't busked in Liverpool myself, I just though people would be interested in this stuff, and I was talking to a magician who runs a shop in Liverpool who thinks the rules may be a good thing because busking in Liverpool is boring with the same old guitars bashing out the same old stuff. (his words not mine). I disagree with him but I thought his opinion should be heard.

s
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I like J.D. Moran's comment below the article;

Quote:
The only victors here will be blandness and uniformity. The city centre streets will be a lot duller without a bit of variety and diversity and the option for impromptu performances.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Nice one Stuart
I have seen this before Bylaws being enforced that have not been past in Parlarment!
It will only take a brave few to say,
Officer Can you show me the Act of Parlarment which this was past please.
If they wave a bylaw in your face and arrest you then it will not stand in court, it cant it has not been past its not the LAW!
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Bylaws are enacted by cities. They need not go to Parliament.

Municipal bylaws will stand up in court.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
No Sh-t
Thanks Johnny for putting me right!
What I have come up against is a "Code of Practise" which is neither a bylaw or a law.
For example Cambridge introduced such a practise which in the long run does not work!
A code of practise is not a law.

The bottom line hear even if a Law is introduced I would see that as an infringment of my civil liberties.
I would hope to fight that, I would hope artists would fight that.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I don't know English Law, is there an equivalent to our "1st Amendment" that can be called upon to quash this?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Sometimes laws or by-laws are made but not enforced, so in these cases don't affect us buskers. The enforcer on the street is an individual who can be talked with, the matter discussed; maybe some compromise can be reached.
Another thing, sometimes buskers become an accumulated nuisance and so laws are written against them and initially enforced with vigor to clean things up. Then maybe a month or so later, when things have settled down, other things come up on the 'enforcers' agenda and the law enforcement slackens and things are back to where they were before the ruckus/new law was made and enforced.

But overall, its better not to have laws suppressing/restricting buskers, because I think most buskers can work around their problems left to themselves. Ah, that's if they're reasonable folk and get the overall picture for their setting.
The presentation makes the magic.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I got this message from the guy organising the petition. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it here as its a public message to everyone who signed the petition.

<quote>

Hey Stuart,
Firstly, we would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to sign this petition and express their support for our campaign. Monday 9th July was meant to be the first day of the new policy, but instead over 100 of us took to the streets for a celebratory mass busk in open contravention of the new rules. There were seven different media outlets there, but we think this clip gives the best account: http://www.baytvliverpool.com/vod/?vid=EBV4ffd6c8b42a91.

Our mass busk seems to have broken the spell of fear that had settled over Liverpool's busking scene, and there are already signs that the new policy is not being enforced. We have published the Musician's Union guidance on best practice for street artists and performers with some of our thoughts attached (http://keepstreetslive.com/interim-advice-to-liverpools-buskers). We have advised musicians and artists to carry on performing on the streets without signing up to Liverpool's policy in its current form. And we've asked people to show respect and consideration for other people whenever they take to the streets, either to busk or to show support for our campaign.

The Musician's Union are working closely with us and have offered to sit down with Liverpool City Council and street performers and artists to find a workable solution. The Council have yet to respond, so we are planning to take to the streets again for further celebrations of Liverpool's street culture with musicians and artists of all ages and abilities over the coming weeks. For much more information, please visit the campaign website: http://keepstreetslive.com. We are so grateful for your continued support,

Love and Peace,

Jonny and the campaign team for ASAP!
</quote>
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Now that's what I am talking about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Liverpool UK, Changes to laws. Petition to protest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL