The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » How do I prevent ends from "fraying"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mach
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Mach
Hi all,

I've been performing an adapted routine based on the ideas presented in Richard Sanders' Fibre Optics DVD but have always faced an issue whereby the strands at the ends of the rope get bigger and bigger with constant use, to the point where it takes over the structure of the rope rendering it unusable.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to prevent/reduce this problem?

Thanks

Mach
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2469 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Do a search. Tons already here.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I use a technique I have never seen mentioned, but that works great and does not leave the big ends of the standard method:

Leaving the end 1/4 inch longer than I want, I open the end with a slim pen or marlinspike and insert a 1/2 inch piece of small diameter fish-tank tubing coated with household glue. Once it dries, cut off 1/4 inch and you have a very clean end that will not easily fray...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mr Mystoffelees
I spent three years in the US navy, and marlinspike seamanship is a term that only you and I have ever heard before.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
I hit the ends of my rope with a lighter.
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
729 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
White glue or just tuck the ends in
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Rope Yar on Sunday

Kotah
Chrishue
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of Chrishue
Dip the ends in hot wax.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I just use scotch tape. Seems to be working fine for me.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2012-07-05 19:34, Al Angello wrote:
Mr Mystoffelees
I spent three years in the US navy, and marlinspike seamanship is a term that only you and I have ever heard before.

Ha! Just saw this, Al... good laugh! Yeah, after a lot of years sailing, I figure it is just a common word. Good on ya' with the navy service, and thank you! My dad was navy, and the stories he told were sometimes south pacific fairy tale, and sometimes horribly chilling.

Think I will go out and do a few sheepshanks just for fun...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
What luck! I got a double dose of a rope education. I was raised as a cowboy who went into the U.S. Navy (where the city boys called it line instead of rope). There was a rope on the bell at SEAL training that you could ring three times to return to regular duty and withdraw from the wonderful world of being a SEAL. Lots of guys rang that bell and dropped out of SEAL training. As a cowboy, short ropes (especially followed by a long fall) were to be avoided, so I've never touched it.

First, I actually prefer seeing rope as replaceable as a deck of cards. (And I use miles of it! I actually cut it on stage.) Pros require supplies. Secondly, dipping the ends in about 1" of matching paint is a quick, cheap and long-lasting solution. In boy Scouts you should have learned to lash the rope ends but it makes a very pretty but noticeable modification to a rope that you should be selling as "normal".

Get real! Rope is a supply.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- There is a mark across my forehead and right cheek and eye. It is from a broken lariat. Rope has limited life. Why embarrass your horse or anyone else?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6698 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 07:32, Bob Sanders wrote:
Rope has limited life. Why embarrass your horse or anyone else?

So true, Bob! I have seen magicians use rope so dirty, comments were made! Rope is cheap. Use new rope! I gave away the rope after performance, so that MADE me keep it clean!

Also, off topic a bit...make sure your hands are washed, and your fingernails clean and trimmed! Women notice! I have heard more comments about long, dirty fingernails after someone's performance...it's true! Ya might not think it matters, but your hands are your stage!

Before performing (or taking close-up pictures of things in my hand), I thoroughly wash my hands, and clean and trim my nails! Smile

Doug
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4838 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Step 1:Use white glue. Twist the ends while the glue is tacky.

Step 2: Wash hands

Larry Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Larry, you forgot to tell them to place the rope ends over the back of a chair to dry.

Do not use that childens glue, only a good white glue for bonding, there are many brands.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4838 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
My mistake. Thanks for the correction. Smile

LB
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6698 Posts

Profile of Dougini
White glue is great for cotton/cloth rope. If your rope is nylon, a lighter (gently) can slightly melt the end fibers together.

I thinks all of the answers above will work. The good white glue is (for Americans) Elmer's!

:)

Doug
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since we are stuck on glue, I have two things the add.

1. Elmer's Wood Glue is better than Elmer's White Glue. (And dries white or clear)

2. A spot of glue on a rope makes an excellent marker for a place you can feel without looking for a measured place to cut on a rope.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are a number of ways to seal rope ends, it is just that white glue is the cheapest and easiest way to go about it. You can sew and wrap thread around the ends, or just use plastic tape.

With thread, you see a different end, so it would not match a freshly cut end. Plastic tape is okay, but again, it will not match a freshly cut end, and the sticky residue may seep out over time. Paint can be a choice, but you also need rubber gloves to smooth out the paint, and then it is harder to wash up the mess. Why buy a whole can of paint to just dip some rope ends.

I even see there is a product on the magic market for just this purpose. I did not boy it, so I don't know anything about it, it comes in a can.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6698 Posts

Profile of Dougini
How about dipping in hot wax...? Yeah, Bill, it would not match a freshly cut end. I dunno. For Professor's Nightmare, I can see wrapping the ends with, say, red thread, and make 'em purty! I like that idea!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » How do I prevent ends from "fraying"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL