The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Diary Trick - Your opinion?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AnthonyMagic
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
7 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMagic
I am looking into the diary tricks on the market - and I was wondering if anyone could let me know their opinion on the pros/cons to both Chronologue and Gordon's Diary.

They both sound like great effects, but I'd love to know which the Café members prefer and why.

Thank you!
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Chronologue is a good effect. I start with it (after some psychological forces). It is not an extreme effect, but it makes a good starting point to accelerate to more baffling routines, a good "builder-up".

The cons are that, if you don't use a Himber Wallet, as in the video, you take out the card after you have given the spectator the diary, but, with proper presentation, that is not a problem.

/hĺkan in Sweden
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Greetings!
Personally, I absolutely love the Gordon Diary, and I use it in my professional show. There are no gimmicks, period. Deck may be borrowed and shuffled by spectator.
There is another thread in this forum on diary effects at the moment, but you may find it a little "tense".
Cheers,
J.Warrens
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I personally like Chronologue more, since you don't use a deck of cards at all.

As J.Warrens said, there's another thread going on and while it may be a bit 'tense' I think you should read it.

Sincerely,
Daniel Young
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
The best version I reckon is where a card is taken out of the deck and placed on a table in front of the lay audience before the diary is introduced. To produce a card after the date is chosen is less good- although of course you can get away with it!

Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
fleischer
View Profile
New user
Sweden
91 Posts

Profile of fleischer
Well, you got me there! You could use a card index, that is, taking the card from the deck and then put it in the pocket. or?
AnthonyMagic
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
7 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMagic
Thanks for the responses so far!

Count Zapik - are you speaking of a particular version of this effect?

I am leaning towards the Gordon Diary - but, let me ask, and I hope this isn't going too far - but is there a card force involved?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
The main reason that Bob got into the idea of the Diary was to ELIMINATE a deck of cards completely. All the other versions add a deck which removes the original premise and in my opinion, waters down the effect.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
I like Chronologue but I would never use it. first off, I don't have a Himber Wallet. Secondly, I do walk-around and that isn't the style. Third, I just didn't really like the teaching of it from Bob Cassidy.

I got it off of his mental miracles dvd and it just sorta turned me off. but once again, a good effect. Many better mentalism routines out there though.
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
108 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
The diary effect from Cassidy is in my opinion the best there is. No cards at all, a strong logical presentation. But do not get the commercial effect (Collector's Workshop). Even Bob does not like this version. Do learn it on his DVD Mental Miracles, or even better in his books Principai Mentalia.

Martin
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
As Thoughtreader states, NO deck "think of a card" THAT is why you are pulling out a dayplanner calendar.

For those interested in this, do a search in Inner Thoughts" under the mispelled thread (I didn't start the thread!) CHRONOLOG OUTS, or else search my username under that. It was March, I believe,
Some good stuff.

The one I marketed, and fell forever behind, got it down to ONE gimmicked calendar and only a couple of outs. Relied also on some verbal subtlety. No sleights.

Bryn,
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
You can also search for chronologue on the search engine and find some interesting methods for strengthening the effect. I use it as a prediction which has worked out very well using Bob Cassidy's method (which I altered). Best of luck.
"Kristopher Supriemer"

"Good things come to those who wait...but only what's left by those who hustle."
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Greetings!
I use the "Gordon Diary" as I have mentioned. Just wanted a touch here. In my routine, I realized it was a weakness to produce the card after the participant names their date. It was mainly for this reason, that I adapted the routine by having the spectator write the date down first, and then quickly (and secretly) access that Info.

The method I use is quick, efficient, and very unsuspicious. As a result, I have found this effect to be one of the "powerhouses" in my repertoire. I am constantly amused by how many magicians question me after my show, trying to figure out how I got the info!

I hear the comment "I don't even know what to say!", quite a bit.
Anyways, this works well for ME, but in the end, do what feels right for you!
Cheers,
J.Warrens
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I would go for Chronologue too (and the version I have doesn't need a Himber Wallet).
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
I use Chronologue. A very good wallet for the effect is the "Miller Miracle Wallet" available online from Hank Lee. It is a four-way wallet that is amazingly thin.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Jesper Amstrup
View Profile
New user
Denmark
89 Posts

Profile of Jesper Amstrup
I don't like wallets. The have a tendency to be HUGE, and that just don't fit my personality wery well. I don't do Cronolouge but I know the effect and method. If you put on your thinking cap, you can find a million (maybe less) outs to use instead.

I like the idea of written information instead (?) of the date being spoken.

Jesper
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Greetings!
Hi, Jesper!
Yes, I too, don't like to have use a wallet, and the idea of having the date written down in secrecy, does enhance the effect considerably.
If your looking into that avenue, many ideas come into mind.
Myself, I use a little business card wallet, of the variety found in office supply stores.
Still a wallet, but a reasonable one.
I have gaffed it in the usual way for a peek.
I find this works extremely well for my purposes, although initially, I used the Osterlind center tear.
I stopped using the center tear, because I realised it defeats the whole purpose of having them write down the info in the first place-they can't lie later as they have "put it into writing".
Cheers,
J.Warrens
kamiruaga
View Profile
New user
The Basque Country (N. Spain)
69 Posts

Profile of kamiruaga
Hi!
With a little imagination and a Himber Wallet you can adapt Bob's effect and make your own version quite easily. I've got mine and it allows me to use more cards than the original and the card is out before the spec names it (without having the date written down in secrecy).
I've found that many spectators love this effect. Besides, it allows for a lot of buildup.
Best,
All those who believe in telekinesis,
raise my hand. (Kurt Vonnegut)"
fredmoore
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of fredmoore
I too, love the effect and don't use a wallet.

I have 4 jumbo cards in my inside jacket pockets, two on one side
and two on the other. So basically I can do the effect "out of pocket" since the
diary(s) can also be in my pockets.

And since the cards are flat, I can still have something else
in the pockets as well!
www.moorefred.com

"Find A Job You Love And You
Add 5 Days To Your Week!"
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
I am going to be using the diary effect as well, from Cassidy's "The Principia Mentalia" ('The Telepathic Diary'). I even found the perfect diaries for this. One thing I wanted to know though before I start writing in these (as they were hard to find in the first place), is, do you all think it is better to write the cards names out e.g. 4 S, Q C, etc. (with letters), or would it be better to draw out the card symbols on the pages? Just curious to find out if it even makes a difference, or not Smile Thanks everyone!

--Justin--
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Diary Trick - Your opinion?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL