The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Incredible 45 minute Documentary on "The Professor" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this 45 minute documentary on the professor Dai Vernon's life.

http://pinterest.com/pin/95068242104700576/
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of 13
Thanks so much for the link. What a great documentary!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Excellent. Thank you.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Thanks for the link,great stuff!
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Just got done watching this. I too enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I finally watched this yesterday evening. I didn't want it to end! Smile
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
247 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
Had to watch it in two sittings but thoughly enjoyed it. Thank you for posting.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Thanks for posting.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2743 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Has this ever been released on DVD? I had the VHS version at one time.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

You are all very welcome I am happy to post!

I'm not sure If I am the only one that felt this way. I have a ton of respect for what Dai had accomplished. Although, what disturbed me was it was all at the sacrifice of his family, and their unified happiness. That was indeed for me, a shame.

- Agree or Disagree?

Quote:
On 2012-07-12 22:39, Tom G wrote:
Has this ever been released on DVD? I had the VHS version at one time.

I have never seen it on DVD? Yet!
Jason of BackroomMagic
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Jason, I'm so relieved somebody posted on this subject. It is very common for biographies to minimize child abuse. Sometimes it is like the subject didn't have a childhood. Or at best a few pages are devoted to early experiences, the author not seeming to have an inkling of what they are actually describing, then focusing entirely on adult experiences without ever putting 2 and 2 together.

To be frank, sacrifice is a very appropriate word, but I don't think quite in the way you mean it. We can work our way back and, I believe, know that Dai must have also suffered terribly as a child. If not, he could not have been capable of treating his family in the way he did. Nor would he have married a woman who perpetrated the kind of violence described by his son.

There are many ways these patterns of abuse are dealt with. The primary way being taking it out on one's children.

Another manner the child sometimes survives by is via incredible creativity. This I believe is what we see in Dai's obsessions and talents.

If I recall correctly, it was Buster Keaton who as a child was part of a family act. His role was to be humiliated, treated like an object and physically manhandled in a way no child should ever have to endure. The question that should occur is if his parents were willing to sacrifice (that is what I mean by the word) him to such a degree in public, what went on offstage? Instead people laughed.

And Buster transformed his obvious pain into amazing creativity. If not recognized, the patterns of abuse continue, passed down generation to generation.

I know this isn't the kind of topic typically discussed here. But I strongly believe that when abuse rears its ugly head, we have to call it what it is. This world will never change otherwise.
krisnevling
View Profile
Regular user
clearfield, pa
138 Posts

Profile of krisnevling
That was an awesome video. Thank-you for posting it
I am 27 years old and have been performing magic for 12 years. My main interest is in card magic, but I love all aspects of it. I love to discuss magic with anyone. Feel free to email me anytime.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-17 21:33, Bill Cushman wrote:
Jason, I'm so relieved somebody posted on this subject. It is very common for biographies to minimize child abuse. Sometimes it is like the subject didn't have a childhood. Or at best a few pages are devoted to early experiences, the author not seeming to have an inkling of what they are actually describing, then focusing entirely on adult experiences without ever putting 2 and 2 together.

To be frank, sacrifice is a very appropriate word, but I don't think quite in the way you mean it. We can work our way back and, I believe, know that Dai must have also suffered terribly as a child. If not, he could not have been capable of treating his family in the way he did. Nor would he have married a woman who perpetrated the kind of violence described by his son.

There are many ways these patterns of abuse are dealt with. The primary way being taking it out on one's children.

Another manner the child sometimes survives by is via incredible creativity. This I believe is what we see in Dai's obsessions and talents.

If I recall correctly, it was Buster Keaton who as a child was part of a family act. His role was to be humiliated, treated like an object and physically manhandled in a way no child should ever have to endure. The question that should occur is if his parents were willing to sacrifice (that is what I mean by the word) him to such a degree in public, what went on offstage? Instead people laughed.

And Buster transformed his obvious pain into amazing creativity. If not recognized, the patterns of abuse continue, passed down generation to generation.

I know this isn't the kind of topic typically discussed here. But I strongly believe that when abuse rears its ugly head, we have to call it what it is. This world will never change otherwise.

I agree with your perspective, and again while I respect the talent, and his contribution to the art. The man Dai Vernon after watching this was tarnished in my mind. I suppose their are those that are more obsession driven, and those that are more self-aware and compassionate to how their actions effect all around. Dai certainly seemed to fall into the obsession side without concern for anyone, but himself.

And sadly, this kind of behavior seems to reward many people, even to this day. - Charlie Sheen comes to mind.
Jason of BackroomMagic
Butterfingerz
View Profile
New user
Sevierville, TN
1 Post

Profile of Butterfingerz
I really enjoyed this Documentary. Thank you so much for posting it!
slider_777
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of slider_777
This was awesome!!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Very nice. Thanks for sharing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Incredible 45 minute Documentary on "The Professor" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL