The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of jeggintonfilms
Hello members

I've recently gained an interest in mentalism but have been performing close-up for a number of years.

I saw Derren Browns recent appearance on the UK talk show 'The One Show' and was intrigued by the 'trick' he performed. That brings me to, is this actually a 'trick' or is he using
some sort of genuine psycological force such as using certain gestures to influence the host?

Here is the link to the clip: https://vimeo.com/45306701

Thanks in advance

Jonty
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Asking for exposure and information as soon as in your first post is definitely not the right way to begin your trip on this forum Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Hi Dorian,

Apologies if it seems I was asking for exposure, that wasn't intended. I was merely seeing if it was a readily available 'trick' that could be purchased as I would happily consider it if someone pointed me in the right direction.

I've also been a member of this Forum for over four years but as I took a break from magic due to other working commitments (filmmaker) I couldn't remember my log in details. That's why I set up a new account Smile

Hope someone can advise me on the question I asked. To clarify I'm not asking the method as such, I just want to know if it's an 'effect' that can be purchased.

Jonty
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1213 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
The womens reaction is priceless.

best
Myke
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
I think its pretty obvious between the cutaways whats going on, very cool though!
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-06 10:07, thecharlatan wrote:
I think its pretty obvious between the cutaways whats going on, very cool though!

hmm this is why I thought it might be NLP but either way, I agree it is very cool.

Incidently I've recently been looking at PSYPHER by Robert Smith which looks great and has had some brilliant reviews. The reason Derren's performance intrigued me so much is because he appeared to have the prediction made BEFORE the spectator did the drawing.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 09:10, jeggintonfilms wrote:
Hi Dorian,

Apologies if it seems I was asking for exposure, that wasn't intended. I was merely seeing if it was a readily available 'trick' that could be purchased as I would happily consider it if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Hope someone can advise me on the question I asked. To clarify I'm not asking the method as such, I just want to know if it's an 'effect' that can be purchased.

Jonty

That's the problem, nowadays people see someone perform something on tv or theater and immediately the first question is where can I buy it!
What's shame!
Sad
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

No shame in being inspired Smile
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Study mentalism and you two can do things like this. That is thinking like a mentalist instead of a magician thinking what is this latest trick and where can I buy it.

I mean it's how Derren got to where he is be studying many different works and this is the result. That's well worth it wouldn't you say?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
The royson-banana principle?
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1527 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Interviewer:

How much is magic and how much is power of the mind?

Derren Brown:

Well it's all sort of one and the same thing, really. I used to say at the start of the shows, which is still true, that when I'm doing that kind of stuff that it's magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship.

Which basically means that some of it's real kind of mind skills and hypnosis and suggestion. Some of it's more like a conjurer. More like sort of sleight-of-hand sort of magic and the fun, hopefully, is where you think one ends and the other... starts.

T.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 10:40, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
Interviewer:

Derren Brown:

Well it's all sort of one and the same thing, really. I used to say at the start of the shows, which is still true, that when I'm doing that kind of stuff that it's magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship.

Which basically means that some of it's real kind of mind skills and hypnosis and suggestion. Some of it's more like a conjurer. More like sort of sleight-of-hand sort of magic and the fun, hopefully, is where you think one ends and the other... starts.

T.

In my opinion that is a very true statement by him about UK mentalism. Whilst there are some who will argue that full on "I have special powers so I can read your mind, talk to your dead family members and foresee all!" (Add dramatic thunder and lightening here), works here, it is Derren's approach that works best. He goes out as an entertainment and entertains. He makes no claims of outrageous special powers above what anyone else could have, and leaves all debate up to his audience. (And laughs all the way to the bank!)

I, myself, don't copy his act or routines in any way whatsoever, but I do follow his philosophy on performing mentalism in the UK. Audiences don't feel patronised or confrontational and everyone has a good time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I understand that mentality and approach and it's increased popularity over the last decade or more, but that also makes it less special. If someone believed that anyone can do this/learn this, it becomes less impressive, whereas believing someone has special abilities or powers that most don't possess, instantly makes it more intriguing, interesting and amazing.

His method seems more like the many NLP, body language bandwagon jumpers looking for an easy platform.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I claim to read minds. (Since I don't pretend to speak to the dead, I have no idea why one would equate that claim with mine.)

My audiences don't feel confronted or patronized. They are entertained.

But then again we're just a bunch of rubes here in the states, so what would I know?

:eek:
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I never understood why some here seem to lump all if these unrelated abilities together - mind reading, clairvoyance, talk to the dead, talking to pets/animals, etc. Even in standard mentalism performances, just because you can read minds doesn't necessarily mean you would have the ability to move things with your mind, foresee the future, have amazing memory abilities, remote viewing, and so on.

Same for magicians doing mentalism. Just because you can perform slight of hands or pull something out of your ear, in no ways makes it credible or believable that you can also read minds. Completely separate and different abilities. I never understood this.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Now come on, Bob. You know that I didn't mean offence and also added all the usual 'in my opinions' and 'others will differ' disclaimers.

I do however think that there are some differences between American and British audiences. Neither being good or bad or better.

As it is left to the audience to decide then there will be some who think the performer has special powers no matter what they say or claim and likewise, there will be others who will never believe that someone has special powers no matter what they do or claim.

But an interesting question would be: What is so utterly repugnant about someone either full on claiming or merely implying that the special power that they have is years of study in NLP or body language reading, and that they are an expert in their field? - I understand that that would not suit every performer and/or even every routine just one performer does, but why does that approach seem to be rejected out-of-hand so readily? Is the performer not using their mind and skill after years of learning to achieve something wonderful? (Or seem to be doing that)
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Thing is, although Derren puts out this somewhat all-encompassing disclaimer, many laypeople often attribute the very powers he himself would outright deny having.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 10:40, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
Interviewer:

Derren Brown:

T.

I respectfully disagree.
Suggestion, psychology and showmanship ARE parts of misdirection.
His claim to use hypnosis is misdirection.
His claim to use suggestion...we ALL use suggestion. "Pick a card" is a suggestion. "Come up on stage" is a suggestion.
Begin by assuming that everything DB does is magic and figure out his tricks. You'll have far more success than trying to figure out how he uses hypnosis and NLP without studying and training in either.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Shrubsole-

I'm just bustin' ya! (Kind of like an homage to the days when we argued all the time.)

There's nothing wrong with any persona or back story a mentalist chooses to use. And, if you think about it, there is NOTHING false about the mind reading claim. You think of something and, one way or the other, I tell you what you're thinking. There's no false claim. I don't make any claim as to HOW I do it, I just do it.

Those who claim, on the other hand, that what they do is pure NLP, body language, etc., actually aren't quite as truthful as I am.
:eek:
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The beard suits him...and I like his jacket a lot...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL