The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 17:44, thedebonair wrote:
Is it not a sign of a successful performance if people want to know how you do something? If I ever get to that point I'd take it as a huge compliment that folks wanted to know. I'm starting to learn slowly and I take great delight in the fact that I know things and others don't, I wouldn't get offended by it, it makes me smile. I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying that........you lot can be quite scary!

Not watched the DB 'The One Show' thing but I think I'll have to now!

I think the thinking behind this goes something like:

If you come on stage and say that you are a mind reader and you then read minds, no further explanation should be required if you have done your job properly. However if they still think that you are just someone doing tricks and so ask you how you did that, then you have not done your job properly.

However, the question "How did you do that?" could mean 'How did you read their mind?'
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
thedebonair
View Profile
New user
UK
17 Posts

Profile of thedebonair
Shrubsole - Good point but the likes of DB, as others have said, openly admits that he doesn't read minds. I bought a Tour Programme when I went to see him recently and it lists some questions that people have asked him. One question was 'If you could have any super power, what would it be?' DB's answer was 'To read people's minds for real'. So, using DB as an example as that is what the thread is about anyway (!), he's putting it right out there that that's not what's happening, hence there is obviously something else going on. DB doesn't like being referred to as a mentalist. He never uses the word when describing what he does.

I understand why people get annoyed around exposure as it's taking away the whole intrigue of what you guys all do but I personally wouldn't be offended. I just see it as a sign of a job well done.

Just watched the DB clip and immediately said to myself 'how did he do that?!'
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Hi Jonty, I have no idea why members here are giving you a hard time.

To answer your question, Derren is using an advanced NLP technique to influence the presenter. Listen carefully to his language patterns and all will be revealed.
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of jeggintonfilms
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 18:25, Kevin Cook wrote:

To answer your question, Derren is using an advanced NLP technique to influence the presenter. Listen carefully to his language patterns and all will be revealed.

Thank you Kevin. That's what I like, straight to the point without all the typical forum trolling Smile
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
@thedebonair:

Well then as Derren doesn't describe himself as a mentalist then it is OK to ask him how he does that? and I fully expect that he gets asked that many many times a day. (That's him to his face - That is quite different to asking others how he does what he does on here)

That is/was the point. Mentalists usually like not to been seen as 'doing tricks' (Whether they are going out and out as someone with special powers or if they like to be ambiguous about everything) whereas people who say that they are doing tricks will naturally get asked "How they did that?"
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 18:54, jeggintonfilms wrote:
Quote:

Thank you Kevin. That's what I like, straight to the point without all the typical forum trolling Smile

Trolling? This is not a magical disclosure site! Therefore sorry if you don't like the answer given but there will be no secrets given out here. Not now, not never.
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Shrubsole, again, if you bother to take the time to read my posts on the first page where I explain, instead of jumping to conclusions and thinking too much about your next 'witty' reply you'll see I am not trying to fish for secrets, far from it.
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Worth noting that despite the fact that most of the country seem to be convinced that Derren is some sort of NLP guru... in his own words, he hasn't ever studied it properly, doesn't think much of it and has never claimed to use it within his methods.

In fact, he's stated outright that he DOESN'T use it.

The irony is, the more he says that.. the less people seem to accept it.

Tell you what though, if I wasn't really able to write my thoughts in other people's minds and had to fake it for performances... then using NLP language patterns in my presentation would be a great red herring to disguise my real (sneaky magic trickery) methods... Luckily, I have special powers, so I don't need to stoop to such depths.

On the other issue of publicity and inquisitive questions posted on this forum generated by Derren, Dynamo et al... I genuinely think that most people are asking "how did he to that?" in this sense of "wow, I'd love to have his skills and take over other people's minds and influence my boss/partner/friends" rather than "I want to know the secret to the trick"...

In other words, I believe it comes from a sense of genuine enthusiasm and even a nod towards "self-development", rather than wanting to look behind the curtain and see the true face of Oz...

Just my 2ps worth, anyway Smile

Phil Ainsworth
Mind Writer
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 19:15, jeggintonfilms wrote:
Shrubsole, again, if you bother to take the time to read my posts on the first page where I explain, instead of jumping to conclusions and thinking too much about your next 'witty' reply you'll see I am not trying to fish for secrets, far from it.

Turn up, 7 posts to your name and call people out for trolling.

Great start!
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Indeed, there is a great deal of advanced psychology going on in this clip.

Quote:

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 19:55, Phil Ainsworth wrote:
I genuinely think that most people are asking "how did he to that?" in this sense of "wow, I'd love to have his skills and take over other people's minds and influence my boss/partner/friends" rather than "I want to know the secret to the trick"...

In other words, I believe it comes from a sense of genuine enthusiasm and even a nod towards "self-development", rather than wanting to look behind the curtain and see the true face of Oz...

You must be from around these parts son. Stick around and you may quickly find you will prove yourself wrong.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
422 Posts

Profile of minty
I'm looking forward to seeing Derren perform on the 16th. Even when I know how the 'trick' is done (or at least, how I would go about achieving the effect), it's wonderful to watch his performance. It's a rare opportunity for me to see a performer of his calibre live. Less about the 'tricks' for me, more about the presentation. I can hardly wait.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Entertaining clip! I wish I could see more performances like the one linked in this thread on television here in the States.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 19:55, Phil Ainsworth wrote:
I genuinely think that most people are asking "how did he to that?" in this sense of "wow, I'd love to have his skills and take over other people's minds and influence my boss/partner/friends" rather than "I want to know the secret to the trick"...

Phil Ainsworth
Mind Writer

lol, in which film ? ;-)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
jeggintonfilms
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

I thought some of you would probably find this video of Derren amusing if you haven't seen it already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Cc6Bof2_0
thedebonair
View Profile
New user
UK
17 Posts

Profile of thedebonair
I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help myself!
ferrismagic
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrismagic
Hi,
This has got nothing to do with what you guys are talking about, but don't you guys think that DB is looking like Jason Statham in the clip of the one show? Just a random thought... 😜
merricksforge
View Profile
New user
Asheville, NC
74 Posts

Profile of merricksforge
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 16:49, mastermindreader wrote:
I would argue that the 95% of "mentalists" you refer to aren't mentalists at all.

I will second that argument.
Psychic Escape
Man has an invincible inclination to allow himself to be deceived and is, as it were, enchanted with happiness when the rhapsodist tells him epic fables as if they were true, or when the actor in the theater acts more royally than any real king. So long as it is able to deceive without injuring, that master of deception, the intellect, is free; it is released from its former slavery and celebrates its Saturnalia. It is never more luxuriant, richer, prouder, more clever and more daring. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 12:06, thedebonair wrote:
I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help myself!

I guess I'm missing something.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:

Hi, Kevin.
Thanks for the info!
By the way, are you a certified Practitioner of NLP, a certified Master Practitioner, or perhaps even a certified NLP trainer? Since you know about this I'd like to know where you got your training.

Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL