The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 08:15, DickDaze wrote:
So its ok to dissect the subtleties and patter but not the mechanics of the method?

Well the "mechanics of the method" is the secret and we don't discuss those here ever.
The patter and performance are out there in the open and so I see no reason why some can't talk about the "subtleties and patter" of the performance.

This is not a disclosure site and so the methods of the secret will never be discussed here.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
With greatest respect Shrub this is an open forum and it is exposure even if you don't give the actual mechanics your telling people that its not what Derren suggests it is. Which is a HUGE part of the effect.

Im not getting at you its just the way it is.
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
God I love this thread........................
DickDaze
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of DickDaze
Am I asking for anything to be disclosed? No.

I maintain that you can't have a proper discussion of a presentation (especially 'subtelties') of a PS effect without discussing potential methods. Incidentally, I'm not asking for this to happen in this thread either. I just made the point that there is little quality discussion of the topic in the literature.

This was said earlier:
Quote:
Move on with your lives and aspire to create your own effects which will have others asking the same questions.

How would I do it if I was having a TV guest spot? I'd do some PS and then work that into a filmed spot. That doesn't really add much though does it?

Its like seeing a magician make a coin dissapear. How would I do that? I'd work on my sleight of hand.

Just like there are infinite varieties of sleight of hand routines, there are a thousand and one ways one might use PS in a given effect and a thousand and one broad presentations each could be applied to.

Who cares what DB actually used? Not me. If someone told me the method, I would find it interesting - simply because DB is someone who has done a lot of TV guest spots - but the importance of knowing the specific method isn't important. I'd probably have my own reasons for not doing it the same way, even if I had no gripes about 'copying'. Rather the different types of PS that could have been used have varying degrees of risk and elegance.

We've all seen PS fail. You can probably also tell when the presenter plays along, but notices the discrepency. Some PS methods are more convoluted than others. Some can be done under the noses of other presenters/crew, others can't. What about layering PS with other techniques to tackle the problems mentioned above? What about just being bold? What justifications to use for the PS procedure you settle upon? How do PS considerations change when the performance venue is your stage show, your own TV show, your appearence as a guest on the TV/radio?

So many questions, and I'm sure many here can think of more considerations. Sadly with a PS effect, the PS mechanics is central to nearly all of them.
Richard Daze
I'll amaze you for days and days...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The point is that we shouldn't even be discussing PS in a public forum. The full name for the technique has already been spelled out a few times in this thread and it doesn't exactly take a genius to get the general idea of what is being discussed.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've reported a couple of threads but they've not been removed unfortunately..

this is, afterall, another person's work...so any attempts at describing the "how" is a poor show as far as I'm concerned...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes, it is.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1090 Posts

Profile of Nash
So I skipped through the first 3 pages of this thread and want to say that..
I ALSO had apple just like the female host .. how many of you got apple?
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2448 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 18:14, mindpunisher wrote:
With greatest respect Shrub this is an open forum and it is exposure even if you don't give the actual mechanics your telling people that its not what Derren suggests it is. Which is a HUGE part of the effect.

Im not getting at you its just the way it is.

Yes, good point well made.

Although I was generalising about what we do here or in fact don't do here, but anything that points to the secret or helps do so, is not on.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
861 Posts

Profile of boydy
How'd he do it then?
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 01:15, boydy wrote:
How'd he do it then?

I think Derren might be in on it.
DickDaze
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of DickDaze
Quote:
How'd he do it then?

This must sound a lot funnier in your head than it does when you actually post it.
Richard Daze
I'll amaze you for days and days...
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1240 Posts

Profile of magicman29
I think it sounds funny....... Smile

kieran
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1328 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 08:33, magicman29 wrote:
I think it sounds funny....... Smile

kieran

Your Irish everything sounds funny to you Smile

Pete x
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
Ha ha ha, just another thread with people getting all holier-than-thou.

If my post was being referred to as exposure (a post which was voted 'best post of the year' and seconded) then get over yourselves, seriously.
I was attempting to put an end to this feeble group of thinkers who think that Derren actually can read minds. This ridiculous view clouds their thinking and effectively disables their creative capacity.

Lets all just have a beer and an open discussion about this wonderful art. Oh wait that's tomorrow, where some of us are meeting up in REAL-LIFE.
Some of you may be aware of this 'real-life' concept although I imagine those of you who 'flame' the hardest on this forum have never been a productive part in a proper discussion...

That is all (again)

Aw
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
500 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
I was thinking Apple! The method is quite obvious.

Regards

Mark
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 09:40, Mark Timon wrote:
I was thinking Apple! The method is quite obvious.

Regards

Mark

Yeah, that's 'cause Steve Jobs used advanced NLP from beyond the grave to plant that idea in your feeble human mind. Derren is simply the medium.

Easy.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-13 09:05, SubconsciousSymbols wrote:
Ha ha ha, just another thread with people getting all holier-than-thou.

If my post was being referred to as exposure (a post which was voted 'best post of the year' and seconded) then get over yourselves, seriously.
I was attempting to put an end to this feeble group of thinkers who think that Derren actually can read minds. This ridiculous view clouds their thinking and effectively disables their creative capacity.

Lets all just have a beer and an open discussion about this wonderful art. Oh wait that's tomorrow, where some of us are meeting up in REAL-LIFE.
Some of you may be aware of this 'real-life' concept although I imagine those of you who 'flame' the hardest on this forum have never been a productive part in a proper discussion...

That is all (again)

Aw

Sorry if you think my concerns over the trivialization of the art and the open reference to methods on a public forum are "holier than thou."

Also sorry never to have never been a productive part of a proper discussion. Maybe I need to understand more about how mentalism works in "real life."

Thanks for putting me back in line and for the helpful tips.
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
No comment.

Aw
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Pretty rude SubCon... and revealing methods in an open forum ain't on...and I'll tell you the same tomorrow!
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL