The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 11:07, merricksforge wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 16:49, mastermindreader wrote:
I would argue that the 95% of "mentalists" you refer to aren't mentalists at all.

I will second that argument.

Sounds like Sturgeon's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1240 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 18:25, Kevin Cook wrote:
Hi Jonty, I have no idea why members here are giving you a hard time.

To answer your question, Derren is using an advanced NLP technique to influence the presenter. Listen carefully to his language patterns and all will be revealed.

Lmfao!

Kieran
merricksforge
View Profile
New user
Asheville, NC
75 Posts

Profile of merricksforge
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 13:47, dmkraig wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 11:07, merricksforge wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 16:49, mastermindreader wrote:
I would argue that the 95% of "mentalists" you refer to aren't mentalists at all.

I will second that argument.

Sounds like Sturgeon's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

Very interesting. I always love tidbits of information like this. Alas, it would appear that when you apply Sturgeon's Law to itself...well, we wake up back where we began.
Psychic Escape
Man has an invincible inclination to allow himself to be deceived and is, as it were, enchanted with happiness when the rhapsodist tells him epic fables as if they were true, or when the actor in the theater acts more royally than any real king. So long as it is able to deceive without injuring, that master of deception, the intellect, is free; it is released from its former slavery and celebrates its Saturnalia. It is never more luxuriant, richer, prouder, more clever and more daring. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
StJohn
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of StJohn
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 11:17, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-07 12:06, thedebonair wrote:
I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help myself!

I guess I'm missing something.

It is quite funny if you know Family Guy.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
861 Posts

Profile of boydy
I would consider myself quite well read on Mentalism and Magic and I have no clue how he done it.
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
You must think sideways and somewhat logically.

There is not an ice cube's chance in hell that he 'influenced' the guy. Derren is a MAGICIAN, as he keeps on telling people, and therefore uses devious methods.

Think Max Malini... cryptic I know but enough to get the gears turning.

Aw
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Red is the new Green!
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
861 Posts

Profile of boydy
Eh! You mean jealousy?
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
It seems like there is no concensus??
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 14:40, thecharlatan wrote:
It seems like there is no concensus??

Actually there are two. There is one consensus from the performing mentalists and another from everyone else. (But you do need to read between the lines of the mentalists' posts to understand the psychology they are using here. Smile)
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
*Pre-Show + Excellent framing + Perfect presentation.

Move on with your lives and aspire to create your own effects which will have others asking the same questions.

That is all.

Aw
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
On 2012-07-06 18:25, Kevin Cook wrote:
To answer your question, Derren is using an advanced NLP technique to influence the presenter. Listen carefully to his language patterns and all will be revealed.

DMKraig replied:
Hi, Kevin.
Thanks for the info!
By the way, are you a certified Practitioner of NLP, a certified Master Practitioner, or perhaps even a certified NLP trainer? Since you know about this I'd like to know where you got your training.

Thanks!

You appear to know so much about NLP. You state, without question, that "Derren is using an advanced NLP technique to influence the presenter." So I ask again, "are you a certified Practitioner of NLP, a certified Master Practitioner, or perhaps even a certified NLP trainer? Since you know about this I'd like to know where you got your training."
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 14:59, SubconsciousSymbols wrote:

Move on with your lives and aspire to create your own effects which will have others asking the same questions.

That is all.

Aw

Post of the year. Smile
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
861 Posts

Profile of boydy
How can NLP produce this effect, seriously? NLP is a set of techniques for change basically. Unless Derren is using some form of advanced Milton Model language patterns etc, NLP has nothing to do with this type of effect. Seriously people, I mean some of the techniques in NLP can be useful like anchoring, eye cues, helping get over stage freight etc bu get over the NLP nonsense when it comes to performing Mentalism!
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2085 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 13:29, mastermindreader wrote:

There's nothing wrong with any persona or back story a mentalist chooses to use. And, if you think about it, there is NOTHING false about the mind reading claim. You think of something and, one way or the other, I tell you what you're thinking. There's no false claim. I don't make any claim as to HOW I do it, I just do it.

Absolutely brilliant, Bob. I hope all the hand-wringers here who feel disclaimers are a moral imperative read your post.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 10:40, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
Interviewer:

How much is magic and how much is power of the mind?

Derren Brown:

Well it's all sort of one and the same thing, really. I used to say at the start of the shows, which is still true, that when I'm doing that kind of stuff that it's magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship.

Which basically means that some of it's real kind of mind skills and hypnosis and suggestion. Some of it's more like a conjurer. More like sort of sleight-of-hand sort of magic and the fun, hopefully, is where you think one ends and the other... starts.

T.

Back in the 80's in Texas, I was working with an agency that booked "Telephone Shows." A number of magicians/mentalist from the Dallas area would be taking these shows into small communities scattered around Texas. I was the MC of the show, and I did two turns, one mentalism the other an challenge 100 foot rope escape. When it came to the mentalism, I use a disclaimer up front, explaining that there is an explanation for everything I'm doing, and that with enough practice, they could do it too. And I finished with a statement about the primary reason for tonight's demonstration is for all of us to have a little fun.

Why the disclaimer? Because you'll find in those small communities a lot of Southern Baptists and other evangelical folks who could enjoy a magic show, but mind reading came too close to looking like something evil, in league with the devil so to speak. Doing shows in large cities, like Dallas or Houston, your chances are greater that the audience would be more responsive to your performance, there for I would drop the disclaimer.

Point being made. I see nothing wrong with adjusting and playing for the sort of audience you are going to encounter. Remember... you're the employee, not the employer. Your audience is the employer and your job one is to satisfy them, not yourself. A good performer is one who can think on their feet and be acutely aware of how their material is playing, how it's being received. You may be the best mentalist in the world, but if you are stiff and aloof, not taking your audience into consideration, your nothing more than a automaton, wasting yours and the audiences time.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Oops... I just noticed my signature. It's rather old. That gives you an idea how long it's been since I posted on the Café. I'll have to change that.
StJohn
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of StJohn
Quote:
On 2012-07-06 13:25, David Numen wrote:
Thing is, although Derren puts out this somewhat all-encompassing disclaimer, many laypeople often attribute the very powers he himself would outright deny having.

I would not be surprised if that is part of his misdirection Smile
Like saying - look over here! look over here!
He says I use a mix of 'this' and 'that' and 'that' and 'that'.
Everyone hears 'that' and 'that' and so on and forgets he also said 'this'. 'This' is magic of course.
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 01:22, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-10 14:59, SubconsciousSymbols wrote:

That is all.

Aw

Post of the year. Smile

I bleedin' well second that. Good work, sir!
DickDaze
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of DickDaze
While that is almost certainly the case, there is no doubt merit in asking what sort of pre-show one would use to achieve the same or similar effect.

There's isn't very much quality material written on the nuts and bolds of pre-show work.
Richard Daze
I'll amaze you for days and days...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown on 'The One Show' is this a trick or NLP? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL