The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Signing off (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Loyal user
Fairhaven, MA
262 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Mike hits it right on. Print media in all forms is down. My local newspaper has been reduced to nearly the size of a postcard. With diverse interests, age & skill levels, coupled with delining ad revenues, I think MUM is going as great a job as can be expected. Definitely keeping my membership.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks to everyone that complimented me on my articles. I assume that most of you know that this is a "labor of love." The columnists and contributors are not paid.

When I started to write the column I made a promise to myself that I would not just sit around and try to think up new tricks which were untested and therefore, almost inevitably of uneven quality. With one sole exception (which is explained in the article) everything I've written has come from my own performing repertoire and has been done many, many times in front of audiences. Some of the stuff has been in my shows for over 30 years!

However, there is a down side to this. While I have a fairly large repertoire, the well is finite and I knew from the beginning that it would run dry. And that time is soon approaching. I have written articles which will take my contributions through December, with the possibility of one final article in January. Mike has all of the material except for the very last column. That is now in the rough draft stage and will be on it's way to Mike and Lisa in the next week or two. That article will focus on Doug Henning, the relationship we had, Transcendental Meditation, Andre Kole's Table of Death, Pete Tappan's wonderful floating doll illusion, and will briefly explain how I came to give David Copperfield a most unusual gift.

Not all of my articles will be of interest to all magicians. For example, in the April 2011 issue I wrote up my routine for the Wellington Magic Switchboard. This is a prop which can easily fall into the trap of only being a puzzle. I'm proud of the routine I worked out with a lot of trial and error and thinking. It's gotten lots of compliments. But, if you don't own this prop and if you never plan to buy one, the article will probably not be of interest to you.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Personally, I feel very proud to be part of the MUM clan, albeit in a more reduced position now. I'm grateful for Mike for giving me the opportunity to write for three years, and I'm pleased to have a body of work to look back on in years to come and think 'what the heck did I mean there?'

Ian
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
AMEN! There are still some positive thinkers in the SAM! I, too, think that Mike is doing a fine job editing the MUM.

I didn't join SAM until 1975. (IBM in 1950) During a month long visit, I was inhabiting the Charlie Miller Suite at Magic Inc., and Fran, Jay and I were enjoying one of Fran's delightful suppers, when the phone rang. It was sad news. The Dean of the SAM had died. The "Most Illustrious" wanted Jay's suggestion for a new Dean. Jay turned to me, and asked, "Whom should we recommend to be the new Dean? (I wasn't even a member of SAM) I replied, "DORNY!" Jay nodded and returned to the phone. "Dorny." Dorny became the new Dean.

A short time later (I was still there) Dorny and I were together, and for some reason, he asked me why I wasn't a member of SAM. I said, "No one has ever asked me to join." He said, "Well, I'll ask you!" How could I refuse when the Dean asked me!? So, I only have 37 years in the SAM.

But, I have been on the MUM cover! --and I have written some articles (not as many as my dear friend Denny Loomis!)at Jon Racherbaumer's kvetching!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
M-U-M is, to me, so much more entertaining to read than the Linking Ring. The magazine continues to improve each year, and I don't have to read serialized articles that go on for months. Oh, and keep that Steve Marshall guy. He's a hoot!

-Mark
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
I really like the digital versions which I store on my iPad. They are always available to me anywhere I go with my tablet and they take up no shelf space in my now cluttered magic room. As much as I also love Genii magazine, the one drawback is that if I ever fail to renew my subscription to Genii I shall lose access to the digital versions. So, thank you S.A.M. for doing it the way you do.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Signing off (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL