The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Name three reasons life is worth living (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
1. My children - not an original answer but this still comes tops - by a long way
2. A handfull of times during my life I have experienced true and profound happiness - even though those moments have been few it makes the rest of it worth it.
3. It's better than the alternative.

Mark
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
My wife.

Music.

Salma Hayek.
Mormo Zine
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Mormo Zine
The main thing that keeps me going is the unknown mystery aspect of life. There is no way of knowing what's going to happen next except to stay alive and see it for yourself.

If I killed myself someone would make another Friday the 13th and I'd miss seeing the retard cut up teenagers up on the silver screen.

I'd miss out on delicious food.
Ours the magic, Ours the power!

See Mormo's Guide To Psychic Self Defense by clicking here.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
So, can any of you fathom why people would commit suicide when they have a family - example beyond my friends who have done it - a neighbour down the street hung herself in the basement while her 4 year old son was watching tv and her husband was out.

In certain mind states- death beats the alternative of life - even with family.

I'm working on effects to help people understand - so, just wanted to start a discussion to help hone some anticipated dialogue

I think often it's hard for people to reach out to those contemplating the end because it's so alien to their current way of thinking.

IMHO
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I think the love needed to give to family,is as important to the need of love, from the family. A thought...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2012-07-08 14:57, Dr Spektor wrote:
So, can any of you fathom why people would commit suicide when they have a family - example beyond my friends who have done it - a neighbour down the street hung herself in the basement while her 4 year old son was watching tv and her husband was out.

I'm working on effects to help people understand - so, just wanted to start a discussion to help hone some anticipated dialogue

I think often it's hard for people to reach out to those contemplating the end because it's so alien to their current way of thinking.

IMHO

An unappreciated knowledge of options...

Easy for some.
Fatal for others.

Why the difference?
Answers to Nobel Prize for Psychological science ...
[
mstgracy
View Profile
Regular user
United States
139 Posts

Profile of mstgracy
Meeting people and sharing with others
Experianceing new things
Creating in all ways
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
My #4 is "parties that never end,and Twins"!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Little Debbie's Cupcakes, Plastic Sushi Displays, single malt scotch
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
Quote:

IMHO

Firstly there are too many options for me to just name 3 worth living for.

Secondly for anyone to end their life or want/contemplate to end it, they have to be in a deep state of depression (could be other negative altered state as well, but I think depression is most common). And speaking as someone who suffered such a state in the past (many years ago now), I can't recall any realisation/revelation that would pull someone out of such a place easily or quickly. I think the key elements to escape such a state (and is much harder for some than others) are family or friends who try to prove to the person that their life is not just about them, even if they can't see that themselves; for them to accept that they need help (in spite of maybe not caring whether they get it) and lastly medication.

I think of depression as a manifested evil force and have a routine myself (unfinished) which examines this state of mind as such. The struggle out of the pit of depression in some ways is similar to an addict trying to escape drugs or alcohol. It hits me very hard when any person takes their own life because they can't see any hope and just opts out. Any work done in this area is very important in my opinion. I'd be very interested to be kept updated on the progress of your project Bruce as it's a topic close to my heart.

These are just my opinions of course and things that were effective for me. I escaped depression 12+ years ago had have never since gone back to that abyss. I think any kind of mental illness is still somewhat taboo to discuss even in this day and age as it makes people uncomfortable and this is part of the problem. I commend people like Bruce who work in bringing about more understanding in this area.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Interesting.

I don't have much experience with suicide. I have a friend who's father killed himself when he was a young boy, but that's as close to it as I've ever come.

I have lost friends and family through illness though and its seeing their fight for life that makes me quite angry with those considering suicide. My friends and family who have died did not want to leave their loved ones behind, but leave them they have. Through no choice of their own. To actively make that choice though sickens me somewhat.

Personally I've always viewed suicide as a very selfish act, with the exception of laying down one's life to save children or other loved ones. I don't think there are many parents that wouldn't end their lives in order to save their kids. But that's a little different.

I always feel sorry for the families of those who have lost someone through suicide. I don't think I could forgive any of my friends or family for doing it. In fact I would be more likely to forgive murder of a loved one far quicker than I would suicide.

Maybe those who have experience with this more than I do will feel differently. But as an outsider looking in I am blind to the individual and can only see the young children, husband, wife, mother, father... etc... that get left behind to literally pick up the pieces.

I would never hurt my wife intentionally. I love her and want to protect her. To kill myself would hurt her more than anything else I could ever do. Why would I do that? In short I wouldn't.

Suicide makes me question the feelings of those that do it have for those they leave behind.

But as I say, thankfully I have not had to deal with being one of those left behind.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
While I would love to say: Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll.... or perhaps: Me, myself and I.

My actual response, (to a very good question btw) is: Love,Learn and Teach.

Also for your consideration, from me to you, by way of Jeff McBride quoting (unknown): "The past is history, the future a mystery, the gift is now. That's why its called the present."

Cheers!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
My wife.

Seeing more of this great wide world...and the people who live in it.

Striving. Just...striving. Working toward SOMETHING. Getting there. Celebrating that moment...and then taking aim at something new to strive toward.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Pengnome
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Pengnome
- To see what gadget Apple will come up with next
- To see if my football team will win for a change
- To have one more try at perfecting my lastest trick
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:

IMHO

Anhedonia is one possibility. If depression is deep enough then the people and things we love just may not be enough of a distraction.

Years ago, I used to say that if I can just live long enough to see the Star Wars prequels. But then Episode I came out.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I'm thinking...I'M THINKING!

I thought there was a reason but it escapes me now.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
The Trees, Bees and the Seven Seas.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2127 Posts

Profile of RCP
Love, work(purpose), play.......the older you get

Love, play, work Smile
krakhead
View Profile
Regular user
I have built a fence, it has
126 Posts

Profile of krakhead
My dogs, beaches and hugs
He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that - do not listen
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
819 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
1) My Father above brings me blessings every day
2) My family
3) To make a difference to others

4) And for selfish reasons to tag history and hope the graffiti stays up for at least a few generations. (This also ties into #3)
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Name three reasons life is worth living (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL