The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Blinking effect - Jean-Luc Bertrand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jean-luc bertrand
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of jean-luc bertrand
You just gave me the perfect reason not to comment...
so this my work, magic and directing... the short movie is a gift,
no extra cost ! it's an old project and we thought it was the right time publish it.

I'm confident some will find interest...
if you can't appreciate extra material, then sorry for you, we've always found funny the people complaining because there was too much inside.
so you say you want magic, there is more than 1H45, twice ! then a full hour of extra material... come you can't be that narrow minded...
is it better when it's only 1 effect, 1 trick : same price

trust me that quantity of material justifies the price.

the dvd is here now, I've never been so pleased to see so many positive reactions on one of our productions...
so of course there is always the ones that can't be happy and you obviously can't.

hey ! that's what it's all about.
that's the way it works ;-)

bye
JeanLuc
jean-luc bertrand
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of jean-luc bertrand
@ bekralik
come on, it's not like if I'm telling you he was Keyser SOZE...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 16:51, jean-luc bertrand wrote:
@ bekralik
come on, it's not like if I'm telling you he was Keyser SOZE...

I don't think you get Kevin Spacey as your stooge with this DVD, but that would be cool.
Using a stooge for tricks was pretty well covered back in Scot's book... so what's new here?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Scott who?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2012-08-02 23:06, BrainMagos wrote:
Scott who?

Reginald Scot. The guy who wrote "Discoverie of Witchcraft" which has a section on magic as entertainment.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Actually, I think Pauls review did the DVD sales a great favour. I think the advertisment lacked a listing of the effects on the DVD and what to expect from it. I dislike byuying a DVD without a listing of the effects. Personally I'm not interested in 10 new versions of effects I'm already performing. Paul provided that listing, and I do believe that a lot more will make a purchase based on that, and will now receive the dvd with the right expectations.

IMHO, he did a respectful and fair review, and didn't reveal anything of great importance. I think it would have been solid to say in the advertisment that some effects relys on stooges and others not - meaning there is something for everybodys taste, and even some challenges for magicians to try experimenting with other methods that they usually do.

I will pick up the DVD now based on Pauls review - even though I'm not that fond of using stooges. Maybe, this DVD will make me experiment more with that.

Good luck with it.
frosh
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of frosh
True, I'm very narrow minded. Like everybody else who wants to know what's on a DVD before buying it.
Like everybody else who is now buying the DVD now, because of a great, detailed review.
So the main difference between your DVD and a DVD that has only one effect, but costs the same, is that you know exactly what you will get for your money.
But if you wanna go about insulting your customers as being narrow-minded for commenting that they couldn't care less about your non-magical stuff, fine. Maybe I should be more OPEN-minded and look for other sources about the effects I wanted to buy your DVD for.
Obviously you want to be compensated for your movie, otherwise you'd have released it as a free download, if now is "the right time".
Something to consider: The way it looks in your own mind is not always the same way the rest of the world sees it.
It's only natural that something you planned in your head, doesn't work out 100%. You can't please everybody.
But it's your own choice if you whine about it or if you learn from the reactions you get. - savoir-faire: act, observe, reflect, act...
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
It would be great if people made comments about this DVD AFTER ACTUALLY WATCHING IT ! It's a waste of time speculating and responding to other peoples comments if you aint seen it.

Jean-Luc stated that there are no new methods, so everyone knew that.Anyone who has been into magic for a while knows there is nothing new. It may appear to be something new if you have only been into it for 5 or 6 years.
Every " new" DVD that comes out, has the standard ambitious card with Omni deck ending & card to wallet or under box or 1 coin routine on it, or multiple selection. There is nothing new ! It's only new to younger magicians "Street Magicians" who aren't really street magicians anyway, as that involves drawing a crowd and collecting money to pay bills. It doesn't involve walking up to someone and mumbelling some incoherent sentence and flicking cards about.

The Influence effect didn't fool me. I knew how it worked as soon as I saw it on the trailer, but so what it makes no difference. It is what you do with the method to create one of MANY EFFECTS THAT COUNTS.
£32 for a DVD with several effects is a small price to pay. There are many single effect DVDS which are more expensive and are rubbish. Anyone with any performing experience in the real world would watch this and be really entertained and understand the the feeling an audience would get from the material.
The Blinking Effect is an excellent DVD and worth much more than what it sells for, but that's only the opinion of someone who has been paid to do magic for the last 25 years for the paying public(not at magic conventions).
Jean -Luc Bertrand thank you for releasing a fantastic DVD.

Mike Donoghue
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I'm a big fan of Jean -Luc Bertrand, and I agree with what has been said, I would be more than happy to purchase it now knowing what is inside than having no clue. I will not purchase something where I do not know what the effects are included. I thought this was based on an old principle, one that I know and won't use personally as I don't like it. However, there are two effects on there that sound great that I will use, so I will more than likely purchase this now being in that knowledge
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Paul Magic
View Profile
New user
Germany
19 Posts

Profile of Paul Magic
Hey Jean-Luc,

I am sorry that I took away some of the art by revealing the content of the effects. Indeed, I would like to add to my previous review that this project is more than "another" DVD with some nice tricks. Instead you receive a piece of art meaning that you watch the over 35 minutes live demonstration without paying attention to anythingelse (to be honest I watched the live demo two times in a row and then one more time on the next day before I started to watch the detailed explanatations!!! Btw.the explanations are special as well).

In short: This DVD is not only about the great tricks told but also about the whole presentation, atmosphere and theory of how to interact with your spectators! That said it is for me the best purchase since the Real secrets of David Stone, On the Spot by Greg Wilson and Professional Opportunist Vol. 1 of J. Brown. However, the spirit/atmosphere of the Blinking effect is unique.

Best

Paul
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I won't be purchasing after reading the review.
The use of stooges has put me off....

I am sure other people will love this but just not for me.
Paul Magic
View Profile
New user
Germany
19 Posts

Profile of Paul Magic
One trick uses some kind of a stooge. If one is put off by this issue, you miss the opportuniy of encountering one of the best projects since the last 9 years (= the time I am in magic)!
Christophe Rossi
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Christophe Rossi
Still waiting for mine but in France all the reviews are veryyy good...
This is for sure a must have dvd.
C.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
I didn't say it was a bad product, although just not for me . I really don't see how that is narrow minded. O well..........
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
That was a good review, but I believe it was totally inappropriate to reveal some of the methods used on Jean Luc's DVD.

That demo fooled 99% of the magicians who watched it, and now the secret has been exposed. And, that means that a lot of people won't be buying it. Very unfair to Jean Luc, who obviously worked very hard on this excellent DVD. I've watched the whole thing, BTW.

To new posters like Paul Magic and Frosh - one of the main rules of TMC is no exposure!

Robert
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2012-08-03 17:05, Robert M wrote:
That was a good review, but I believe it was totally inappropriate to reveal some of the methods used on Jean Luc's DVD.

That demo fooled 99% of the magicians who watched it, and now the secret has been exposed. And, that means that a lot of people won't be buying it. Very unfair to Jean Luc, who obviously worked very hard on this excellent DVD. I've watched the whole thing, BTW.

To new posters like Paul Magic and Frosh - one of the main rules of TMC is no exposure!

Robert

You've sum up everything perfectly... Paul Magic should be ashamed!
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
smacks183
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of smacks183
Paul Magic, thanks for the review. Thought it was a great and fair review. Now that I understand the types of effects, I may purchase the DVD.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Any time you use a stooge for an effect on a demo to sale your DVD I expect an honest reviewer would have to mention it. He also stated how much he liked the work. Any thing is possible if you use a confederate to help you fool someone ,this is not an effect to sale. We all know how to use a stooge. The challenge is to do the acaan without any help. I'm not impressed with this method and if I would have purchased this DVD for his influenced effect and then was told you need to use a stooge I would have been very upset. The rest of the DVD could be great and worth the money, I don't have it and don't know but I know I won't be buying this for his acaan.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
What I saw:

A new DVD, looks good, I know NOTHING about what's on it really but it costs enough and looks pretty

Someone reviews what is actually on the DVD

"HEY DON'T TELL PEOPLE WHAT THEY ARE BUYING"

...he doesn't actually mention a method as such, it's a technique, not a new technique it's like saying something involves a p**k, it's the effect not the actual method,

now I know what I am buying and I am probably more likely to buy the DVD after his review than before because a real review has been written,

if you want to try to deceive people as to exactly what they are buying that's a different story, looks a well made DVD at least
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Love the DVD. It's one I'll keep coming back to for inspiration. I love the look and the thought that has gone into this project. Thumbs up from me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Blinking effect - Jean-Luc Bertrand (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL