The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bruce Bernsein - "Unreal" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I figure that recommending a product or resource to someone I don't know is a Big Deal. That's why I've reserved my "over the moon" recommendations for items that I truly feel are outstanding...stuff I think performers will USE -- like ProMy*tic's Evolution and MD, Osterlind's Mental E*ic, Outlaw's Lu*a 1935...or Banachek's Psy*hic Folio.

Thus far the only three books that would fit into that category for me would be The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, Weber's Maximum Entertainment and Corinda's 13 Steps.

Why open with this list of personal "hits?" Because reviews are subjective...and what works for me may not work for you. So I thought I'd share the list so you can see if we're on the same page.

If I were to be sitting across from you and talking about Bruce Bernstein's "Unreal" you'd hear me speaking very softly -- but with the same "holy crap this book will rock your world" passion I reserve for the items above.

When I got this 250+ page book, I stood there, flipping through the pages. I found something remarkable and I sat down. Hours later I was still sitting there. I read all night -- much of the time spent slowly shaking my head in something approaching wonder.

Have you seen the old Maxell ad where the picture shows a guy in an easy chair listening to music that is blowing his hair back? That's the way I felt reading this book. So MUCH fresh thinking on everything from dual reality to what appears -- for all intents and purposes to be real mindreading. The thought behind these effects made me smile and -- once in a while laugh out loud.

Most of the effects are, mechanically speaking, relatively easy to do. But that's not to say that they will be easy to present. This isn't lightweight material and for some of the effects you're really going to need unnaturally genetically challenging big b*lls.

Unreal bristles with bold, fresh thinking -- ideas that will leave your brain buzzing POSSIBILITY.

I'm so glad this book didn't come out years ago -- because I would have read it and shrugged. And I would have done this -- not because the material was bad (obviously) -- but because I would have had no idea what I held in my hands. I would not have had the capacity to appreciate the nuances -- the brilliant subtleties that are jammed into each segment or the immense value of many different twists and approaches that can go into a routine.

Don't expect to be spoon fed. This isn't a cookie cutter book. Personally, I need to think HARD about how to adapt what I've read to suit me and my style. But I really sincerely feel the thinking here will change the way I view what I do on-stage.

Having said ALL that -- I have to also add that this isn't a book for everyone. If you're just getting started in mentalism or stage work, you might want to hold off on reading it for a while. Much of this is relatively heavy stuff...and calls for real showmanship. You'll do much better if you have at least a working knowledge of the basics of mentalism, audience management and stagecraft.

But you'll note that I said you might want to hold off on READING it. I strongly suggest that you BUY IT NOW and let it sit on a shelf until you're ready to leap out of performer's high school and into the Rhodes Scholar program. Let it sit there and think about it...wonder about what's inside it...and how what's there can help you be the kind of performer that leaves people talking about you long after the show's done. Buy this book before the price goes through the roof (which it really TRULY should) or Bruce decides to limit its release.

Unreal is a resource I'm going to re-read again and again.

It is one of mentalism's Great Gifts. Don't miss it.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Are any of the pieces in the book ideal for the table hopper/close up performer? can someone ddescribe some of the card effects contained within these pages?
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-09-13 14:31, Daren wrote:
Are any of the pieces in the book ideal for the table hopper/close up performer? can someone ddescribe some of the card effects contained within these pages?

Daren

Many of the pieces in the book work for the close up performer. There are many card effects which someone else may have the time to list. Honestly, you can not go wrong with this book
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Cool, I have ordered this and look forward to receiving, especially excited about the card effects included and the drawing duplication
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3692 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Excellent review, David! And so true, what a joy to read this book, having so many things of Bruce Bernstein between two covers now! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Great review David. Thank you.

Many fine performers have already told me how good this book is.

So, it sounds like I may need to get it... and let it sit on the shelf, until I have read the other 4 or 5 books that I am trying to get through! Smile
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Ordered! (Rubs hands together in anticipation)
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2012-09-15 00:43, Paul Shirley wrote:
Great review David. Thank you.

Many fine performers have already told me how good this book is.

So, it sounds like I may need to get it... and let it sit on the shelf, until I have read the other 4 or 5 books that I am trying to get through! Smile
This one deserves to skip ahead of the line!
learachel
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of learachel
Sold out!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Sold out?

Excellent!

Cuz this is a a killer book - my only regret is I didn't order two as this might go into classics like the mind and magic of Berglas ....oh well

Aside: owning a ton of bb's stuff already - this really was way worth it to have it all collected, updated and essays bonuses are golllllld

For those who waited to long...maybe you'll get lucky in the buy and sell section but only a fool or a disparate person would ever sell this book

IMHO

Aside the c affair effect I've been using for years - and also, the the thing I like about this book is you'll see where so many people have ripped off bb's ideas uncredited for their own products - cuz remember - the material here is over years of honing and has been published over decades before this....

BB IS ONE OF THE UNSUNG GREATS OF MENTALISM

Imho
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2012-09-16 05:49, learachel wrote:
Sold out!

The link to Squash Publishing (Found at the beginning of this thread) seems to still be selling it.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Does anyone know where to obtain the right envelopes for the drawing duplication effect, can you please provide a link, I live in the UK
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3692 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Talk with Mark Leveridge, he will help you. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
I've admired Bruce's work for years. He seems to have always been kind of under the radar, but greatly appreciated by those that know his work.

To put it simply, Unreal is outstanding and deserves a spot next to 13 Steps. It should be considered a classic and a necessity for anyone serious about mentalism.

I do agree with David, if you're a beginner in mentalism, study the basics and get used to performing first before you tackle Unreal.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
The book is not sold out...although it should be. They are available from Bruce...and he autographs the copies he sells directly.

His site is http://www.brucembernstein.com/product.html He also has Taboo there...which offers some fascinating options. My copy is already ordered.

Finding a resource like Bruce Bernstein for the first time is very exciting. I know I'm coming late to this party, but his work ranks up there with Cassidy, Corinda, Osterlind and Annemann in my admittedly wildly enthusiastic opinion. Eat At Joe's alone is worth twice the asking cover price.

And don't even get me started on the PSI Deck...

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1238 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Just ordered me up one of them bad boys from Bruce hisself!! Can't wait to start delving into this... can you believe, I have heard so much about him all these years, but I have never read one of his works? Bad Seth...

I'm also very interested in Taboo, but it sounds like it is for those on a loftier performance level than my humble self...

Thanks to David, especially, for that enticing review! Smile

Seth
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Beautifully produced book. And excellent customer service. I ordered directly from Bruce and he shipped it the next day, autographed (as David mentioned.)

- Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Daren
Are there any other ideas what you can predict in the sporting prediction routine, any other interesting ideas?
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
308 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Daren, I'm looking for other angles on this too. I'd like to be able to mark the predictions as A and B, any ideas of a way round it (apart from a d****e e******e)
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1238 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Wow, I am totally loving this book. It's unreal! Smile His two special tips for London's Almost Real Prediction make the whole thing SO much easier and more deceptive--and that's just one effect. His essays are outstanding. I gather that much of this is already known to some people, but it is new and fresh to me. I can see I've been missing a lot. Based on this masterwork, I'm going to be investing in more of Bruce's material, that's for certain!

Seth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Bruce Bernsein - "Unreal" (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL