The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suggestions for a Lev (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a lev for a 3/4 thrust stage environment. I would prefer to build it myself, that being said any thoughts on M.O.? PM me if this is too much to share here. Additionally, any resources you might direct me to would be appreciated. Thank you.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Use the Café Search Engine-- really it will work well for you.

It will take some time and patience, as you need to do individual searches for each area/category of the Café, of course, start with this Illusion area.

Your exact topic and questions have been discussed in great, great detail each and every year or so going back forever.

You'll find every opinion and answer you could possibly wish for or use. That will also save everyone from bleeding fingers writing he same information out again.
Thanks!

Magically, Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Thank you.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What you will find out about levitations is that everyone has a preference, and each person will usually defend their favorite to the death. That being said, a small levi is a small levi. It will never be "grand illusion" in the truest sense of the word. You will not get a Copperfield Flying out of a Magellan.

Also, depending on the levi you choose, unless you are extremely skilled in metalwork, welding, hydraulics, etc., you would be best served having it built by a professional. I know of people who have been severely injured while using this type of home-built equipment.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
I understand completely. As for construction, if I cannot do it myself I will find someone who can. I may end up designing my own. Thank you for your insight. Cheers!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Midnight, have you seen The Magellan? It's a Jimmy Fingers exclusive, and really, I have not seen one better, or one that takes you so high up! What is it Walt, about a foot and a half?

Done right, and the mood set, and a believeable story told, they'll think you did a miracle!

Doug
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
However.. to make life harder..

He asks about doing a levi on a 3/4 thrust... that's a BIG shoe to fill considering the mechanics and angles of a real levi
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, It can be harder but it depends where you work it and how you block it. Carefully placed scenery or assistants can work wonders.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Thanks guys. Yes, my environment is the challenge, but as Hugmagic said it's all about controlling the variables. I can content with angles and blocking, and at this point I'm digging through my library of antiquated books for ideas. I feel that I may end up designing my own rig. I don't like the Magellan, that is just my personal opinion and is meant as nothing else. I feel it looks too much like the performer is standing on something.

What I really need at this stage, gentlemen, is a source for the fundamental knowledge and elements that go into creating a lev. In other words, necessity being the mother of invention, I need to get my head around the building blocks. At the very least I will be able to make a much more informed decision should I need to purchase a pre-made rig.

To that end, any suggestions for "how-to" type books? I think Peter Loughran has one.

As always, any information/help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 17:53, Midnight333 wrote:
I don't like the Magellan... it looks too much like the performer is standing on something.

If a performer follows the instructional video and pays attention to details, the audience doesn't perceive the Magellan Master levitation in that way. If a mime doesn't use proper technique, it doesn't create a magical experience, either. And the success of the Magellan is mostly mime and strong performance ability.

Jimmy
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations by Bruce Armstrong is an invaluable investment when making a decision on a levitation.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Magic4545, My comment was not intended to be insulting in any way and I apologise if it was perceived as such. Let me clarify. I agree with your statement regarding the effectiveness of an illusion being dependant upon the performers skill level. I simply meant that to my eye, it appeared as previously described.

ClintonMagus, Thank you I will see if I can procure a copy.
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Midnight,
With all due respect, it is not your eye that you are trying to entertain or deceive, but the audience's. It appears from your post (and that's all I have to go on) that you are thinking like a magician. Thinking with the perspective of a magician is our curse that we have to live with being absorbed in our craft.

I've performed the Magellan umteen times and have never been called out for "standing on something". To the contrary, I've had kids running out of the school theater to their mom's that some guy just "flew". In that kid's mind, I did a "Copperfield" (just maybe not as high, and with all the beautiful assistants, and the millions of dollars, and Claudia S....OK, I digress)

My only point is to make sure you don't dismiss a solution that may be right there in front of you, until you look at it from an audience's point of view (and not from our critical magician's view).

Good luck in your research.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you read the book, “Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic” by Walt Anthony:

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/csspa......ment.htm

You will see how "selling" the effect to the audience overcomes these problems. Are you performing for people so they will "solve your puzzle (or not)"? Or are you taking them into a place of "enchantment" where the impossible can and does happen?

A little music, a penetrating story, and graceful performance makes all the difference! Make 'em BELIEVE!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Suggestions for a Lev (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL