The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I was a Millionaire... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
... until my mother threw away my baseball cards:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation......15585797
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I was a millionaire (technically). Then I got divorced. I'm working my way back up though. Monetary donations toward my millionaire goals are welcome. Just make the checks out to "Reverand Old Scratch Johnson". (Us religious folk don't pay taxes on that stuff).
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
When my grandpa died, his kids inherited his music instruments. One was a broken down, department store f-hole, hollowbody guitar worth about five dollars. The other was a violin with a sticker inside that said "Stradivari". Now, anybody who knows anything about fiddles knows that nearly all 19th-early 20th-century, European-made violins have stickers in them that say, "Stradivari". It's the same as all those asian-made Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Stratocasters that appeared in the 1970s and 1980s.

Anyway, my grandpa's children (he was my mother's step dad) had dollar signs in their eyes. I told my grandmother to tell them I would counter any offer that they could get from a music dealer or wherever they might try to sell it (this was back before Ebay), but they never called me. My guess is that the violin was worth--at most--$700 or $800. But those people thought they had inherited a genuine Stradivarius--like a shoebox with a million dollars worth of old baseball cards.

When I got tenure a couple of months ago I bought a nice guitar that completely reminds me of my grandpa. So I actually won out in the end, in a way. They didn't become millionares, and I didn't get my grandpa's instruments, but now I have something nearly as good, because it still makes me think of him.

Oh, and I did get something: I got his Stetson. Problem is, his head was a couple of sizes bigger than mine, so I couldn't actually wear the darn thing.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
LOL, it looks like you're wearing it in your profile picture!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2504 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 13:06, stoneunhinged wrote:
Oh, and I did get something: I got his Stetson. Problem is, his head was a couple of sizes bigger than mine, so I couldn't actually wear the darn thing.

That's what the rolled up newspaper is for.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 13:06, stoneunhinged wrote:
My guess is that the violin was worth--at most--$700 or $800. But those people thought they had inherited a genuine Stradivarius--like a shoebox with a million dollars worth of old baseball cards.

Reminds me of the time I took an old violin and an old painting to the Antiques Roadshow. The man said "What you have here is a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt." I was thrilled until he said "only problem is Stradivarius was a lousy painter, and Rembrandt made crappy violins."

Hello!!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Question: do you consider someone to be a millionaire who has a net worth of over a million dollars or someone who makes at least a million dollars a year.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Wow, and right at the time I was getting back into card collecting. Nice story.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 16:31, Slide wrote:
Question: do you consider someone to be a millionaire who has a net worth of over a million dollars or someone who makes at least a million dollars a year.

I think it's a personal choice on how someone wants to refer to themselves as.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I think it's a personal choice on how someone wants to refer to themselves as.
"

Sorry...that is not what I meant. I'm interested in what a 3rd person thinks is a millionaire.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I used to be a "third person" (and I am again). I felt the same then as I do now.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Smile

Lets start from scratch.

You are just a middle class slob. When YOU think of someone as being a millionaire do you think of that person as someone who has a million bucks in the bank or someone who makes a million bucks a year.

I'm a millionaire by the first definition and not by the second. And I hardly think of myself as a millionaire.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Someone who has a million bucks in the bank. (Of course they can owe their creditors 2 million, so they're dead broke).
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I believe by definition it's net worth.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I suppose that I'm technically a millionare, because I am technically still married, and my wife is very wealthy. But I haven't been intimate with my wife for three years (and yes, it makes me quite cranky, since I haven't yet had any affairs, either), and my wife has never bought me anything more expensive than a new shirt--and that was a birthday present.

What I figure will happen is this: she and I will die, and my son will inherit the money and blow through it in less than six months.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I'm so glad I held onto my hockey card collection all these years. My hockey card collection dates back to 1952-53 Parkhurst, and most of them are rookie cards. All my cards before 1973 were given to me by my Great Uncle. I remember how all the kids used to flip their cards while I was one of the rare few who actually tried collecting the sets. I'm not sure how much my collection is worth, but two of my favorite cards are Bobby Orr's rookie card, and Maurice (The Rocket) Richard. I also own a few other hockey memorabilia that are not cards.

I've never collected for the monetary value, it's always been about the fun of collecting. One day I'll pass them on to my older son and hope he'll add to it. But...maybe I'll start checking out what some of them are worth just for the fun of it.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1621 Posts

Profile of 252life
I used to be a millionaire.
I spent it all on gambling, women and booze.

The few dollars I had left over I just wasted Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6090 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2019, 252life wrote:
I used to be a millionaire.
I spent it all on gambling, women and booze.

The few dollars I had left over I just wasted Smile

-George Best
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1804 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, magicfish wrote:

-George Best

My idol when I was a young football fan in the early 1960s.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1621 Posts

Profile of 252life
I had no idea where I’d heard that, thx
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I was a Millionaire... (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL