The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic and Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

{Jackofhearts}
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
2 Posts

Profile of {Jackofhearts}
Is Hypnosis considered a form of magic? How plausible is it to mix sleight of hand and hypnosis in one act? Any information is much appreciated. Thank you!
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
It seems like a strange pair to me. How would you transition from one to the other?

Mentalism and Hypnosis, seem a better fit to me, since you are demonstrating powers and aspects of the human mind.

-Max
{Jackofhearts}
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
2 Posts

Profile of {Jackofhearts}
I don't know. I have recently been studying hypnosis and am very interested in it. I have only seen one hypnosis act and havent finished my research. But I was thinking of starting the act out with sleight of hand, then talking about the powers of the mind, then hypnosis. This isn't a proffessional act just for giggles. Also I have never studied Mentalism. Could you recomend any good starting points?
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
On 2012-07-11 16:48, {Jackofhearts} wrote:
Also I have never studied Mentalism. Could you recommend any good starting points?

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
James Brown is a very accomplished sleight of hand artist who recently has started mixing hypnosis and close up magic. You can check out his stuff on his youtube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/theboss1976

Personally, I liked him better when he did straight up sleight of hand, but this sort of thing seems to be more trendy nowadays...

Luigi
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
You can find a good history of hypnosis here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_magnetism

Original hypnosis (mesmerism) is different from "stage hypnosis" (entertainment). In the 1960s and early 70s, hypnosis and NLP was associated and you could get certificates saying you were qualified for a few hundred dollars. In some States that was all you needed to hang a shingle saying you were a hypnotist. Then, psychology licensing boards in the various States objected saying that hypnosis was a form of psychological therapy (which it was), and said you had to have a psych licence (marriage and family, psychologist or psychiatrist) with so many hours of training to be qualified (as was in the case of California where I was originally came from). I did not bother to train for hypnosis because there was better ways of treating trauma besides hypnosis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_A._Gerbode

I know nothing about stage hypnosis (entertainment). Occasionally we get people at the Comedy clubs who have an "act" of presenting their kind of hynosis. And there is a few NLP people around who advertise that they can help you stop smoking with hypnosis ( I have no idea if they have a lisc. to do this or even if one is necessary).
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
“Abreaction therapy” better than hypnosis???
Ouch! Don’t think so! Smile

L. Ron Hubbard played around with what he called "ingrams", claiming that you couldn't get to the earlier ones until you'd "cleared" the later ones. He got the idea from the U.S. Navy, who abandoned the whole idea back in the mid-1940's.

Even Jung tested the idea and thought it triggered as many fantasies as it did "real" injuries. He determined (as has been said often in the Sleepy forum)that it's more often about the confidence of the practitioner than about any specific methodology.

All hypnosis is "self-hypnosis", although some of it can be directed by a "hypnotist". But if you don't trust that person, it doesn't matter what they do.

Stage hypnosis is often little more than giving tacit permission to "act out".
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Simon Southern Moss
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Simon Southern Moss
I know some examples of stage hypnosis that is really mentalism. That is, the participants are genuinely hypnotized--that is, in a state in which they are highly suggestible. But, actually, many of the events they experience are actually instances of mentalism and other tricks, but ascribed to hypnosis. The effect is strong because both they, and the audience, recognize the effects of hypnosis, although powerful, are limited.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic and Hypnosis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL