The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne / Okito floating ball - solo & assistant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I have made a portable backdrop for stage, particularly for a couple of black art effects.
Seeing as I have made it this far, I am very interested in introducing a floating ball routine.

I have a DVD which explains a basic floating ball method with a hookup for a stage, but it's very short and may be a very basic alternative to a more professional okito setup.
It is a one man version, where if you move to the left, the ball goes right and vica versa. If you kneel down, the ball rises. I think many people would know what I'm talking about here.

I have a question, is the DW or Okito version able to be done solo as well as requiring an assistant?
And if it can be done solo, is the version I stated above much different to the one man version?

Thanks
Scott
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Don Wayne Floating Ball was promoted and designed because David Copperfield presented a version on television. It comes with directions for the stage version only. Don Wayne use to sell a one man manuscript for $5 separate from the one that came with the ball. The one man version is along the lines of the Okito or Abbott Floating Ball. The one man version does not work like the hidden assistant version, so no it does not travel in separate direction from the performer. This kind of move, I believe is only for the full stage version.

The Don Wayne instructions are not detailed, only outlined in a small 3 or 4 half sheet pamphlet.

I might like to add that a small portable backdrop is not sufficient for either the solo or assistant versions from the Don Wayne Manuscript. You would need at least a 10 foot spread with about 12 foot high, this of course depends on the height of the ceiling you are performing in. Then you would need some side wings over your the ends of your backdrop, in other words shrink the stage area to your backdrop.

The ball can also be used in a number of different ways for a solo performer. This information can be obtained from other sources. Check out Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick, which can also be done with a ball like the Don Wayne Floating Ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCIMX8SpdfU This is the same method and routine as the Golden Stick.

You might want to consider the Wonderball by Charlotte Pendragon, this was designed for the solo performer in smaller venues.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=113135

If you get the Abbott's Further Tips on Zombie, the One Man Floating Ball is discribed in that book, and here is a sample of the routine you can create with that method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVxPEMBKkVA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgNz6VZPtU

Hope this helps answer your questions.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have an Okito FLoating Ball manuscript, I think. If I can find it, I will pass along the information.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks very much Bill. You have given a very detailed explanation.

The last couple of YouTube clips with the fine looking woman seems to have used a hookup similar to Fearsons floating cigarette. It appears that a stage hookup is not necessary.

Having a portable backdrop, without a formal stage with wings limits what I can do now so there's no point in me going down that okito route. The video I have watched at home allows for a basic backdrop to perform a one man floating ball where the ball moves in opposite directions to your hand & body movements. Having said this, if the performer walks to the extreme left of the performing area, the ball floats to the extreme right, giving several feet distance from the ball. I like this, and I will be experimenting with this.

Thanks again!
Scott
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Clintonmagus I would very much appreciate that, I hope you can find it. If so let me know thanks!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"The Oriental Magic of the Bambergs" (Dr. Albo's 1st book of his series, has a chapter dedicated to the Okito/Fu Manchu floating ball. It is extremely detailed in the equipment, the set-up, and the routine. It is a one man routine, although an assistant can expedite the initial off stage prep (not the actual floating, though). The book is long out of print, and not cheap, but copies occasionally come on the market. Price can be up to $500 a copy, but some people get lucky.

There is also good information in "Illusion Builder to Fu Manchu (David Bamberg)", by Robert E. Olson, although not as extensively detailed as the Albo book. This book is also out of print, but it seems there are a lot of copies out there. You can probably pick one up for about 30 dollars.

"Greater Magic" has a section on the Nixon floating Ball, which is essentially the Okito version, seeing that Nixon bought Okito's show. "The Doc Nixon Manuscript" also has info. This was recently published in booklet form and is relatively inexpensive.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I also seem to remember some posts a few years ago from Walt Anthony (SpellbinderEntertainment) about the Okito ball. You could do a Café search...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 08:26, scottds80 wrote:
Thanks very much Bill. You have given a very detailed explanation.

The last couple of YouTube clips with the fine looking woman seems to have used a hookup similar to Fearsons floating cigarette. It appears that a stage hookup is not necessary.

Having a portable backdrop, without a formal stage with wings limits what I can do now so there's no point in me going down that okito route. The video I have watched at home allows for a basic backdrop to perform a one man floating ball where the ball moves in opposite directions to your hand & body movements. Having said this, if the performer walks to the extreme left of the performing area, the ball floats to the extreme right, giving several feet distance from the ball. I like this, and I will be experimenting with this.

Thanks again!
Scott

I guess I was not clear, it is not anything like the Fearson Floating Cigarette, it is exactly like the "One Man Floating Ball" explained in "Further Tips on Zombie" by Abbott Magic company.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/searchquick-s......ombie%22

In the video you have with the opposite direction of the ball, I would think would be an interesting hook up, for a one man operation. I would like to see that video. It does not sound like you are completely sure of it being an actual one man operation.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Considering that Dirk's floating tables, realistically speaking, have replaced the Zombie Ball and floating sphere, Is there enough interest in a unique DVD - or are there only a dozen people genuinely interested?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6824 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think so Jay!

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgNz6VZPtU

Can be done with the Astrosphere and the One Point hook-up described in Ralf Wichman's book on I.T. I love this video! When I first saw it, I about fell over! She is doing my routine! Move for move! I developed that routine in the late 70's, and it was my signature piece.

That said, there is another way. Cutting edge, in my opinion. I gotta do a search...be right back...Ha! I found it! The Voyager!

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/voyager.html

Yeah, $1700, I know. And you do need one backstage assistant, though. Loughran's a freakin' genius! He has an uncanny magical mind! He has a smaller, less expensive system called "Anything Floats". That might be good for other things, including a ball!

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/store-Anything-Floats.html

Also check out his Zombie Coffin!

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/master_o......offi.htm

That's pretty much it. I've studied the Floating Ball and all its variations for more than 30 years. Just for simple set-up and ease of op, the Astrosphere and the one-point hookup is the best I've used!

Doug
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Bill,
Here is an example of the hookup I stumbled across on YouTube.
It's a poor performance but it's the same result of the DVD I have at home I am speaking of. You can imagine the anchor points. I like this 1 man version where the ball and performer has considerable distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqTkj2yvv......a_player

I thought the woman doing the floating ball without any stage setup might be like the Fearson hookup on the body alone, that's all.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-07-13 00:22, scottds80 wrote:
Bill,
Here is an example of the hookup I stumbled across on YouTube.
It's a poor performance but it's the same result of the DVD I have at home I am speaking of. You can imagine the anchor points. I like this 1 man version where the ball and performer has considerable distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqTkj2yvv......a_player

I thought the woman doing the floating ball without any stage setup might be like the Fearson hookup on the body alone, that's all.

Okay, that is not a one man set up. It is a similar to the Okito hook up. The performer has no control over the ball at all.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Actually, that is not an Okito hookup at all, and it is in fact a one-man version with the magician in direct control at all times. This is the same hookup as was used by Doug Henning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sOH3rjo4SM (starting at 2:05)
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1F88yhvtF4

He also used this method with a candle with Marie Osmond, as did Lance Burton on one of his specials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKQXpvgEC......ure=plcp

I believe this was first described in Magic with Small Apparatus by Jules d'Hotel, and it was originally with a candle in a candlestick as I recall.

I have used this method and it is a lot of fun to perform, but it takes a lot of rehearsal to learn its limitations so that you don't perform it in a timid (and dull) fashion as in the linked video above.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Frank, thanks a lot for posting, I needed to see those clips to show a seamless and inspiring version of this hookup!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is very interesting that a method has never been noted in magic history, as this looks to be superior to any of the other more famous methods.

So we have: Abbott, Okito, Thurston, Don Wayne, and now Julies d'Hotel. This has to have been a very "underground" working for a one man floating ball.

I again would really like to see that set up for the performer, and no other assistance being used. This has to be the premier floating ball of all time, and has not been available in the magic community as a standard method for everyone.

Well I am glad I am still learning unknown things in magic.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Bill, I will pm you the source where I got the instructions from soon.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22734 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Scott, that is very interesting and surprising for a stage set-up.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6824 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I would also be interested in this hookup. The video was not so much "timid and dull", but not polished. There was WAY too much ball movement. Swinging, swaying, hesitating...

There is a solution to this. In fact, I have experimented with several. From eye-hooks to ball bearing pulleys.

Scott, if you wouldn't mind sharing...feel free to PM... Smile

Doug
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I played with this one time, using lots of different hookups, but I never tried to perform it. I ended up with something similar to an Asrah rigging that took a lot of the sway out of the ball. I also decided that, if I ever did perform it, the ball would never completely stop moving, removing the "stop and sway" buzzkill from the routine.

In my mind, any item which was "really" levitated (human or not) would be influenced by the natural forces around it. For example, such an item wouldn't float up and suddenly stop. There would be inertia that would tend to make it continue to move. Air currents would push it around. An "accidental" nudge would cause it to fly off-course until something (magical powers, a wall) stopped it. The fluidity of movement is one thing that made Tommy Wonder's ball, Losander's table, and David Copperfield's Flying so magical. I have yet to see a non-Zombie floating ball that looked like that.

It would be expensive, but I wonder if someone will ever invent a computer-controlled floating ball apparatus that adjusts as necessary to remove the extraneous movements from the routine.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Perhaps it's interesting to start thinking from the
floating ball of Okito. He has described it in his
book Okito on Magic, page 47.
This is a one man choreography.

But it intrigues me that you have built "a portable backdrop" and
that you are talking about 'black art".
Are you performing that alone, or do you have a "helper".
Maybe you can think about a floating ball by black art.....!?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne / Okito floating ball - solo & assistant (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL